Author: pnp

Foreign Broadcasters Should Pronounce Chinese Names Correctly!   [Copy link] 中文

2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2015-7-1 14:42:48 |Display all floors
msrong Post time: 2015-7-1 14:37
It works both ways.  More often it's the western commentators who mangle Chinese names for comic ...

You have got a point that I did not know before: deliberate mangling of names.

If that happened it happened out of malice.

I am more concerned with the lack of care on the part of most Chinese when it comes to uttering a non-Chinese name. There is a feeble excuse: Chinese script is not phonetic, so the poor buggers cannot know how to pronounce a non-Chinese name. But they still could learn about first and last names of peoples in the world at large. The Chinese stand a little alone with their custom; only a few other Asian nations follow their rule.

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal 2015 Most Valuable Member Medal of honor June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Valuable Member

Post time 2015-7-1 14:44:09 |Display all floors
ExileMick Post time: 2015-7-1 06:57
The BBC has, I believe, a department which instructs newsreaders on the correct pronunciation of any ...

They do have a Linguistics Board and issue guidelines on the correct pronunciation.
So does the ABC (Australia)
SBS - Australia

Many reporters are still using the 19th century Western pronunciations which were based loosely on the Cantonese dialect.
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-7-1 14:48:01 |Display all floors
pnp Post time: 2015-7-1 12:17
"Then add into the mix the fact that there is different pronunciation of names/place names in chin ...

You did err as far as the pronunciation of Chinese place-names in the different parts of the Chinese empire are concerned. I do not see why Mandarin should be the adopted pronunciation when HONG KONG and MACAU are such obvious exceptions.

Or take Urumqi. Why should we pronounce it as "wulumiqu" when it is correctly transliterated from Mongolian as "Urumqi"?

In the end you will even have to question the reason for calling China "China". When we do that we can finally take the Chinese to task for inventing so many aberrant names for countries other than China itself.

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal 2015 Most Valuable Member Medal of honor June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Valuable Member

Post time 2015-7-1 14:49:50 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2015-6-30 21:02
An absurd demand.

There are maybe 13.5 different pronunciations of the name "SHenzhen". How shoul ...
You will never get Chinese to pronounce any non-Chinese name correctly. Not even those who speak a smattering of school Chinglish

This statement is so broad and sweeping it's laughable.

I know many Chinese who can pronounce a lot of western city names correctly, at least on par with the locals from the city concerned.  I think you need to engage brain before bile.  

With that said, many people, indeed likely the majority of the planets inhabitants have problems with saying other countries names, so what? At least they try.
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-7-1 14:54:10 |Display all floors
Ratfink Post time: 2015-7-1 14:49
This statement is so broad and sweeping it's laughable.

I know many Chinese who can pronounce a ...

Do you know how they bowdlerise names such as Albert Einstein or Karl Marx??? A correct transliteration would make Karl Marx Marx Karl rendered Mandarin, not the other way around.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-7-1 15:03:39 |Display all floors
msrong Post time: 2015-7-1 14:37
It works both ways.  More often it's the western commentators who mangle Chinese names for comic ...
It works both ways.  More often it's the western commentators who mangle Chinese names for comic effect.
After the Asiana airline crash in San Francisco several years ago, a TV reporter from a prominent station didn't bother to verify a list of rediculous made-up names of the pilots.

That was KUTV and they were lead astray by a National Transport Safety Bureau intern. That little mess went global as it was shown in most countries and of course it went viral online. It amazes me that no editor picked it up as it's so obvious.

oa

Per Ardua Ad Astra

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-7-1 16:56:32 |Display all floors
an important way to show respect and get respected ,

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.