Author: pnp

Foreign Broadcasters Should Pronounce Chinese Names Correctly!   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2015-7-1 12:28:54 |Display all floors
ExileMick Post time: 2015-7-1 06:57
The BBC has, I believe, a department which instructs newsreaders on the correct pronunciation of any ...

Does that include Chinese names?  I very much doubt it!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-7-1 12:36:10 |Display all floors
This post was edited by pnp at 2015-7-1 13:14
Ratfink Post time: 2015-6-30 20:21
I do agree, however it's not just the reporters fault, often the studio anchors etc are clueless and ...

"often the studio anchors etc are clueless and the TV stations or radio stations aren't large enough to actually have a list of correct pronunciations for more than a couple of cities."

Aren't large enough? They are the world's largest broadcasters!  That's no excuse; they are not small like many of China's local stations!  And they are broadcasting to world audience, not local audience!
Let's face it, they are lazy; since no one complained, why bother?  It's tough enough doing reporting, even tougher trying to get a foreign language right!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-7-1 12:53:52 |Display all floors
LeonardWong Post time: 2015-7-1 10:33
It is disrespectful to address a person in a wrong tone. This is common in any culture. The fact tha ...

Exactly like I said, and they are international broadcasters, not some small local stations!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-7-1 12:59:18 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2015-7-1 10:39
By a strange coincidence, most Aussies I have known in China can't or couldn't pronounce "Guangz ...

They can be excused for their ignorance, they are not international broadcasters!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-7-1 14:18:23 |Display all floors
BlondeAmber Post time: 2015-7-1 02:31
Chinese broadcasters should pronounce non-Chinese names correctly.
It works both ways because of the ...

"In all honesty, who watches the news from another country and gets annoyed at how places/names are pronounced, as long as people know who/what is being spoken if?

And what makes you so sure that people do know 'who/what is being spoken' of?
When pronunciation is way off the mark, listeners are completely lost, and those who are slightly more familiar with China, would still have to guess what/who they are talking about!
All it takes to end the confusion is for broadcasters to get it right!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-7-1 14:37:10 |Display all floors
I see poorly spoken names place or personal names in USA all the time even if other western cultures, but I do believe the thread is correct large international broadcasters should be more familiar with the "most" correct way to say names/locations. as a native born American living in China I find many names and other words very difficult but will always do what I can to improve. I think all the originator of the thread is asking is that more attention and effort be made by forgive

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-7-1 14:37:30 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2015-7-1 10:35
You stand by an inbcorrect interpretation as far as the WEST is concerned. The order of the name ...
It would be nice if Chinese learnt a little more about the names of others and learnt to respect other cultures.

It works both ways.  More often it's the western commentators who mangle Chinese names for comic effect.
After the Asiana airline crash in San Francisco several years ago, a TV reporter from a prominent station didn't bother to verify a list of rediculous made-up names of the pilots.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.