Author: pnp

Foreign Broadcasters Should Pronounce Chinese Names Correctly!   [Copy link] 中文

2016 Most Valuable Member 2015 Most Valuable Member 2014 Most Valuable Member

Post time 2015-7-1 11:13:49 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2015-7-1 10:45
That's not completely correct.

In the West names get listed in alphabetical order, and of course  ...

It depends upon the situation in the West and the culture, it can get complicated very fast

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-7-1 11:16:12 |Display all floors
This post was edited by pnp at 2015-7-1 11:18
BlondeAmber Post time: 2015-7-1 02:31
Chinese broadcasters should pronounce non-Chinese names correctly.
It works both ways because of the ...

Yes, I agree with you that it works both ways, and that Chinese should pronounce non-Chinese names correctly; that can be left to another thread!  Let's stay on track!

I expect some, like you, to come out to condemn the thread as petty and childish; it's not that I am petty and childish, problem is your own petty and childish perception!
But that's fine, that's what a forum is all about, you are entitled to your say, and I am entitled to mine!
I certainly don't come here to seek approval from anyone, least of all from you!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-7-1 11:41:03 |Display all floors
Every morning I turn on my TV to watch international news broadcasts, and can't help feeling that something is not quite right the way they pronounce Chinese names, be it places or people!
Since this topic has never been raised in the public domain, I thought I would start the ball rolling, and hear what readers have to say. I am not being petty and childish as someone here accused me of.  We are always seeking improvements in whatever we do, and this is no exception.  It is precisely because viewers have been silent for too long, that these people can't be bothered to get their act together! They even mangled up the name of China's first emperor, Qin Shi Huang, quite a mouthful for them!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-7-1 12:17:21 |Display all floors

"Then add into the mix the fact that there is different pronunciation of names/place names in china depending on where you are from: regional/provincial pronunciation."

You have got yourself confused between the official language putonghua and the various dialects. There is a correct pronunciation as per putonghua, and that is what we are talking about here!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-7-1 12:22:45 |Display all floors

"Additionally, not all broadcasters - in the UK for example - speak with an RP accent so they have different pronunciation/accents."

You are confused again! I don't care what accent they bring to the broadcast, but there is a standard pronunciation for Chinese words and names, as in English, accents aside!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-7-1 12:25:02 |Display all floors
This post was edited by pnp at 2015-7-1 13:04

"In all honesty, who watches the news from another country and gets annoyed at how places/names are pronounced, as long as people know who/what is being spoken if?"

Did I say I was annoyed?  I seek improvement, is that so bad as to get you annoyed?
Aren't you annoyed at Chinese pronunciation of 'usually'?
Pot calling the kettle black!

"how places/names are pronounced, as long as people know who/what is being spoken if?"

What makes you so sure people know who/what they are talking about?  Those who are not familiar with those people or places are left puzzled, and even those who know better often have to guess, simply because the pronunciation is out of the ordinary!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-7-1 12:25:32 |Display all floors
This post was edited by pnp at 2015-7-1 12:43

Duplicated

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.