Author: pnp

Foreign Broadcasters Should Pronounce Chinese Names Correctly!   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2015-7-4 20:12:46 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2015-7-4 19:07
Not just mangling names - they do not show any respect to foreigners. For example Xinhua reporte ...

This us something that I have noticed though to be very fair, most of the times they have the Mr. in front of my name isntead of the family name. I explained it zillions times. It suprises me because in Chinese, normally no one, or in very rare ocassions, one would refer to another by just using the surname or the name; they always include the Mr./Mrs. or the title (boss, manager, engineer....)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-7-5 16:03:56 |Display all floors
True!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-7-6 13:58:03 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2015-7-4 19:07
Not just mangling names - they do not show any respect to foreigners. For example Xinhua reporte ...

They need improvements all round, including their anti-social behavior!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-8-12 13:08:47 |Display all floors
This post was edited by pnp at 2017-8-12 15:37

It has been a good two years since this thread was first published, but we are not hearing any improvement in the pronunciation of Chinese names by foreign news anchors, especially those broadcasting for CGTN direct from Washington, DC.  Their coverage of the earthquake at Jiuzhaigou is so hilarious when one listens to how they struggle and fall flat on the pronunciation of the epicenter of the quake,  "Jiuzhaigou"!  

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.