Views: 8338|Replies: 9

The misunderstandings on the word tea [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2015-3-19 20:09:24 |Display all floors
This post was edited by SEARU at 2015-3-19 12:23

Mr.财神 posted a blog 'Drink water timely'.

SEARU commented: "Your blog looks like a cup of tea or coffee for thirst and relaxation! "

财神 replied: "Neither Tea nor Coffee only water..let's enjoy!"

SEARU answered:
"Funny! Now let me tell you a story:
When I first entered that college where is only seven-hundred-mile away from my home-town. However, I felt difficult to follow the local dialect! For an example:

In the bedroom, one classmate poured me a cup of hot water from the thermos and said to me:'please have some tea!"

Before saying thanks, I wondered:"Tea? There is no tea-leaves at all in the pure water! Where is the tea you mentioned?"

The guy replied:"In our area, hot water for (human) drinking is called tea(茶)! but hot  water added with tea-leaves should be tea-water(茶水)!"

-----------Furthermore, according to his explaining, when I said "Your article looks like a cup of tea", that should  be translated as 你的文章象一杯白开水! --------but the Chinese version might have another bad meaning: "Your writing is just as plain as the tasteless water!"

If so, are you happy?

(Dear reader-friends: Have you understood my meaning? I do wish my thread is not 白开水一杯! )

The most useful knowledge and skill that we are lack of is that of about human!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-3-19 20:13:15 |Display all floors
This post was edited by SEARU at 2015-3-19 13:06

Note:
1)  SEARU'S answer has been edited that is a bit different from the original one!
2) 白开水一杯: a cup of white boiled water.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-3-19 21:03:35 |Display all floors
Don't get too confusing over tea .. Or your argument will go to pot!
To read more about me: http://capaworld.capa.org/2014/01/17/capa-resident-director-china-programs-interview-colin-speakman/.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-3-19 21:58:47 |Display all floors
ColinSpeakman Post time: 2015-3-19 13:03

If so, your comment would be like fire under the pot that would cook some porridge for all of us!

We Chinese often say '咬文嚼字'-------bite article and chew words. The idiom means that people should analyze a writing or speech so carefully that every detail should be to examined to see the author's true meaning!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-3-20 06:49:20 |Display all floors
This post was edited by SEARU at 2015-3-19 22:51
SEARU Post time: 2015-3-19 13:58
If so, your comment would be like fire under the pot that would cook some porridge for all of us!

财神: Thanks for nice anecdote   
         I prefer plain water than tea and green tea than coffee. i drink plain water everyday, i like it most.

SEARU:    According to medical research, boiled water at 40 degree centigrade is ideal for our health! ----------
              On the other hand, we Chinese often say "平淡之中出滋味!"--------Good tastes always come from the plain     food! ---------The proverb has at least double meanings:
1) You must chew the usual food carefully till you could taste all of its real tastes and this kind of eating habit is good for your digestion and health!
2) Young man should be modest and be ready to be a ordinary man and such mindset is helpful for you to lead happy life!
3) NOW, I think it is useful for our writing work, since plain mood could let me speak out my mind in no hurry!

Your  choice is right!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-3-20 10:37:59 |Display all floors
ColinSpeakman Post time: 2015-3-19 13:03

Chinese have a long history of tea culture and tradition. In ancient time, scholars used to invite their friends home to share some delicious tea that would drive them excited and such atmosphere was fit for them to exchange ideas with each other for study and research!-------- ‘君子之交淡如水’ which means that ‘The relationship between gentlemen should always be as plain as water!” ------
Dear Colin: Is that saying proper to describe our relationship?

However, in the modern China, people usually offer friends and relatives quite amount of money or other things as gift to show their friendship or respect on festivals and other special occasions: (such as: wedding ,baby-birth, relative’s illness or death, promotion, and so on). ------------- Many people spend too much money and time on such ‘social’ activities that have affected their normal work and life due to their limited (salary) income! ----------The current anti-corruption actions carried out by our government would change the situation in the near future!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-3-23 09:14:33 |Display all floors
Why not write what you want to say in your mother-tongue and have google translate to turn it into the target language. It annoys people to do one's readngs in a twisted tongue.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.