Author: ihanyu

Chinese Language Matters?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2015-5-22 11:32:12 |Display all floors
BlondeAmber Post time: 2015-5-7 19:01
No.
For speakers of alpha-numeric languages, which is Western Europe, North America, South America ( ...

Spanish is useful if you want to have a career as a drug dealer or in the "garden industry" in California

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-6-12 10:01:56 |Display all floors
Of course it's important

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-6-13 19:43:02 |Display all floors
Economically , it‘s definitely  yes

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-6-19 00:58:17 |Display all floors
I'm working in finance, often also in Hong Kong and Singapore, cooperating with mainland Chinese companies. Even in my field, mandarin isn't important at all. All my colleagues know english and cantonese, mandarin is hardly ever used.

However, in my personal life it is of great importance and I never regret the hundreds of hours I spent learning it. I also don't think it will be more important in the future, as all educated Chinese know proper english and learning Chinese well enough to do business takes like three times longer than it would for english.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-6-21 14:47:31 |Display all floors
I think so. Because Chinese is a language that is spoken by the largest number of people in the world. Now, more and more foreigners are learning Chinese as their second language. So it'll be more and more important in the future.

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2015-6-29 19:51:03 |Display all floors

Chinese is unlikely to become a global language. It takes too long to become fully literate in it. It doesn't have the pizzazz that other languages have. It is a working language, no more. Of course, it has its importance to its native speakers.

Use magic tools Report

Blogger of 2013

Post time 2015-10-14 07:57:46 |Display all floors
Yes. Without doubt. The New York Times finance staff is being required to take classes in Putonghua now. It is important in understanding international business due to China's level of prominence as the second largest economy in the world.
If you want FREE English lessons every day, add me on WeChat.
My WeChat ID: BigTEXZZ

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.