Views: 1531|Replies: 5

Is it necessary to build maths labs in chinese schools? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2015-2-28 17:50:07 |Display all floors

Just now, I have read a report on the CD:  Shanghai maths textbooks would be exported to the UK!

Quickly I made the following comment:
"Interesting!
I had taught mathematics for two years in a vocational school in China. That experience tells me that maths teacher should teach numbers with related shapes! Maths lessons also need laboratory where students do tests with kinds of shapes that would be very good for them to understand those abstract formulas. Or the kids may think that science is mysterious and far away from reality and life!"

How do you think about my idea?
The most useful knowledge and skill that we are lack of is that of about human!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-2-28 20:30:03 |Display all floors
In 1995 or so, I visited a smith's shop where the owner could make a sheet of iron into kinds of things: stove, barrel, chimney, ladle,.....

The skilled worker did calculating, measuring, cutting, hammering who had wonderful imagination about shapes. As a teacher on mathematics, I envy him since I always do such job in the 'air'---- ( on paper or blackboard) that is awful, since it has nothing to do with definite things. I ask the 'blind' students to use their head to imagine what foreign elephant would look like!-------

Such lectures are troublesome for teacher and students. It is bad teaching method.

Here, I have another joke: once a time, I asked one old teacher: "You have taught mathematics for more than twenty years, could you tell me what is maths according to foreign dictionary?"
She replied: " Maths is something about numbers!"
------Obviously she did not consider the shapes that should be half of maths!

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Valuable Member Happiest Member

Post time 2015-3-1 10:46:59 |Display all floors
Very good idea Searu! this approach is already is used in western primary schools in introducing concepts of math. It will be even better to get students to be involved in China to making the shapes..
My friend the Black Swan

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-3-1 15:17:25 |Display all floors
KIyer Post time: 2015-3-1 02:46
Very good idea Searu! this approach is already is used in western primary schools in introducing con ...

Thank for your appreciation!

Yes, We could not talk about empty numbers without their related shapes, since the latter can drive us think more about our physical world. --------Tom has graduated from university for few years, I wonder how many formulas learned from his maths books that he still can tell out? ---------It seems that maths only exists in mind and our knowledge on it is just from shadow to shadow!

I think the building of such labs would offer kids a wonderful world of numbers and shapes, and kinds of formulas would be shown in a vivid way that would be as attractive and unforgettable as those cartoon figures!--------------As soon as they come out the lab, the students would find it in surprise that all the world is a great maths laboratory full of theory!

I am looking forward to the day when the dream come true!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-3-1 16:04:43 |Display all floors
SEARU Post time: 2015-3-1 07:17
Thank for your appreciation!

Yes, We could not talk about empty numbers without their related sha ...

For correction:
As soon as they come out (of) the lab,.....

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-2-20 05:39:17 |Display all floors
I used to teach middle school math (in the USA) and used many manipulatives, shapes, etc.  It helps children to understand math and it also helps to make math fun, instead of stressful.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.