Views: 1355|Replies: 8

Do you believe that some English words are hieroglyphics? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2015-2-12 20:38:11 |Display all floors
This post was edited by SEARU at 2015-2-12 12:40

In my eyes, some English words are hieroglyphics just as our Chinese characters!

For examples:

1)  eye-------- 'e e' look like two eyeballs and the Middle letter 'y' represents 'you' or seems like 'nose' judged by its shape!

2) enemy-----"eyeball+nose+eyeball+my"=enemy!  It is funny that enemy is what "my eyes and nose" are fixed on! The eyes are used for watching while the nose is for spying?

3) friend---------We are cautious with enemy but you would feel "free in the end"------free+end= friend?  ( Enemy would become your friend at last!)

4) I --------The special letter-word always is written in capital that stands on the ground while the head is so high that could touch the sky!-----That is me!

It is rare that the shape of one English word could tell its meaning!The above ordinary words could tell you what is hieroglyphic!

In fact, I have posted a blog on the topic where you could see many interesting comments from Blogger-friends. Please have a look in your free time!

I am looking forward to your replies!
The most useful knowledge and skill that we are lack of is that of about human!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-2-13 08:33:23 |Display all floors
1) The beautiful eye can speak!
2) People pay much attention to the enemy! In other words, we learn too much from our enemy and  both sides benifit a lot from such competition!--------A possibile war drives human beings run fast in their civilization!
3) Enemy could be turned into friend if right communication has been carried out that would bring peace for all people!-----------DON'T take a stranger as your friend until you have found his or her shortcomings!
4) The shape of the word 'I' tell you that I am very tall with great confidence while I am very practical since my feet always touch the horizon line of the Earth!

It is wonderful for us to consider one question from different angles! Don't always think English is alphabetic language!
The sense of hieroglyphic could add more colorful meanings to some words!

Is it fresh?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-2-13 12:26:39 |Display all floors
No English is a Latin based metalanguage

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-2-13 13:13:24 |Display all floors
You are correct and very creative. I never thought of that.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-2-13 18:26:57 |Display all floors
Sikaote Post time: 2015-2-13 05:13
You are correct and very creative. I never thought of that.

Thank for your support!
'never'='no ever'?
Words look like the food on the dining table, such as bun,bread,eggs, kinds of vegetables. But where are they from? How could you grow and produce them by your own hands? Who found them eatable? Could we invent new kinds of food or words by our hands and heads?

This morning, I thought of the word 'window' that is also funny!--------
'wind+o+w': O is the hole in the wall; w is the wooden or metal thing made for the frame of window; the wind could blow into the room through the window! ------yes, such opening is for you to get fresh air!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-2-20 05:56:48 |Display all floors
That is very clever!

You are a creative-minded person!

Another "hieroglyphic" is that the letter S starts the word "snake" and looks like a snake -- and it even hisses like a snake!  

As a matter of literal historical fact, the visual hieroglyphics like that (and "eye") are a coincidence, or a happy accident.  (It is really interesting that a Chinese person, whose brain is taught to think in ideographs, would see such pictures in English!)

But words like "never" = "not ever"?  That IS a historically valid etymology.  Your intuitions that connect words by their sound could lead to many historically valid conclusions.

But I love creative people, and as a teacher I would never tell my students to limit themselves to the historically "correct" answer, as long as they knew the difference.

It is fun to see how English appears to the Chinese mind.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-2-20 10:44:11 |Display all floors
Gayle Post time: 2017-2-20 05:56
That is very clever!

You are a creative-minded person!

You are great! You have made so many replies to my writings. Thanks for reading and appreciation that is encouragement for my job in the Forum!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.