Views: 1821|Replies: 5

Is it right to rewrite the Xinhua-students‘ dictionary? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2015-1-4 19:49:45 |Display all floors
When I was very little, my father told me, "Dictionary  is the best teacher for your study who can tell you anything while any human teacher could not!"

Father offered me an old dictionary that he used when he was in school. That book was so shabby that each of its pages had turned brown and black,---------- In the Qing-dynasty,the Emperor Kang-xi organized a group of scholars to write the dictionary, that has become a national treasure in Chinese history!

When I was in college, I got an English to English dictionary that could offer you a definite meaning to very word, which is more clear compared with our Chinese one!

To explain a word with several sentences that goes like a short essay or text, that is as free as a short dialogue between parent and child through which the kids could easily understand what is what!

English has melted so many nations' cultures; in other words, the language has been enriched by billions of people from generation to generation.  Its  dictionary has been loaded with too many things, which must have too much advantages that is worthy for us to learn from!

In China, many students from primary-school to senior-Middle-school, are afraid of composition, why?
Chinese character is explained in few characters that is not better than that in the English dictionary.  Our pupil has a vague concept about each word!

If you don't believe my words, you may check the same word "water" with different dictionaries: of course the Chinese one and English one would offer you different answers!----------Tell me which is more scientific that is good for students to get a good thinking ability?

Please don't think that I am a traitor to my motherland!  I just want to improve the quality of our dictionary that is the basic textbook for kids. It is no wrong to learn any advanced technology including the cultural products-------dictionary!

( Welcome to leave your comments!)

The most useful knowledge and skill that we are lack of is that of about human!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-1-4 20:24:56 |Display all floors
I have two blogs on similar issues: <<leave more space for students>>; <<language obstacles on Chinese education>>.
I have copied the thread and made a new blog with it.
So, more friends would join us to discuss and debate that would be very interesting!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-1-6 09:50:22 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2015-1-4 15:14
You can say the Chinese words are much more ambiguous than English ones.

THE topic of this thread is important and serious. There are many wonderful comments on my "same" blog.
Please have a look if you are free!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-3-29 06:44:02 |Display all floors
In the new era of the modern information society, there are too many subjects waiting for us to learn!
We may put these knowledge into the future dictionaries where students could easily get the useful things without 'notice'!----------Few words about a certain science may arouse their interest that could become a great success for our whole education cause!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-4-5 20:43:27 |Display all floors
What is lunar eclipse? How is it formed? That English dictionary could offer you a nice answer!

"An eclipse of the moon is an occasion when the Earth is between the Sun and the Moon, so that for a short time you cannot see part or all of the Moon."

(Yesterday, I spent two hours on watching the phenomenon. It was difficult for me to explain the principal of the lunar eclipse in simple words!)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-10-8 07:39:33 |Display all floors
This post was edited by SEARU at 2017-10-8 07:41

There are about twenty thousands of Chinese characters in total while English has two millions of words as her vocabulary!  If in war on language letting Chinese fight against English, China has to use one soldier to deal with 100 foreign ones! -----------I am not sure who will win! -------- It is why the explaining to each word is more detaied in english than in Chinese just as modern TV could show you more clear pictures than the old black-white Tv since the first has more image-element-spots than the later!
I am afraid that we are doomed to lose if Chinese could not more freely use ‘fighters’ on the battle ground than the countpart, ------------I mean should (or must) have more advanced writing-style than ‘enemy’!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.