Author: voice_cd

Questions to ask English experts from Chinese learners (Round 27)   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-11-15 17:22:16 |Display all floors
To come out might come from the saying "to come out of your shell" meaning to be less introverted and more open to communicate than normal.
Homosexual people talk about " hiding in the closet " and this refers to keeping their sexual preferences a secrete. They say if you have " come out of the closet, " then you have told all your friends, family and associates that you are homosexual. The homosexual community also talk about a " closet queen " and by this they are referring to a person who is homosexual  but pretends to be heterosexual or a person who no one would imagine to be homosexual, yet is.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-11-19 09:00:53 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-12-1 04:19:18 |Display all floors
canadian45 Post time: 2014-11-19 09:00
To come out might come from the saying "to come out of your shell".
I  don't agree. It doesn't mean  ...

Homosexuals are even in Canada

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-12-3 08:20:34 |Display all floors
And Sanya effort( for instance..Tesla charging station there) to be at forefront of evironmentally responsible initiative is also a step to enrich china's ''soft power''

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-12-15 18:58:01 |Display all floors
when getting a photo for an ID/passport etc there are certain licenced places you can go.
you are given the official guidelines as to what is acceptable and unacceptable in a photo (dimensions/background/facial expression etc) - there are picture examples given.
example of some of the guidelines:
"If glasses are worn they should be of clear glass so that the eyes are clearly visible. Only head coverings worn for religious reasons are permitted. Uniforms, civil or military, (e.g. showing epaulettes, insignia) should not be worn. Your facial features from bottom of chin to top of forehead and both edges of your face must be clearly shown."

because official licences/passports ID are renewed at least every 10 years (more often for work places), the photo can not be more than 6 months old, so you can not reuse old pictures when applying for a new official document.
it is not a portrait being taken or a casual photo so you can not really expect it to be a 'fashion' shot

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-12-22 19:08:36 |Display all floors
"A yellow back is a cheap novel published in the UK, what's the origin of the term?"

I would venture to say that this is neither a question, nor term that Chinese learners of English need bother themselves with. The term is very outdated and has not cropped-up in my lifetime in the UK,NZ or Australia and is not likely to. For that reason it need not be explained.
I get a bit of this in English classes. Before the students come to me they have been taught by English-apeaking Chinese who appear to get their information/phrases/terminology from books dating back to the 1800s. I have to correct all that so the students end up speaking English  in contemporary fashion and not sounding like they have walked straight out of a Charles Dickens' novel or worse - one of those by Charles Bulwer-Lytton.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-1-17 23:27:12 |Display all floors
Been wanting to ask someone, some question to ask, can not help but laugh . Are the Red Hot Chili peppers singing in Mandarin in the song Around The World ? It has to do with Jesus and I and was wondering .

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.