Author: voice_cd

Questions to ask English experts from Chinese learners (Round 25)   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-10-30 20:46:25 |Display all floors
This post was edited by incarnationabc at 2014-10-30 21:52
teamkrejados Post time: 2014-10-30 20:20
Well, seeing as you want to split hairs about it...
Mr Brown has only one LEGAL wife, as recognize ...

Ma'am,

It is not me but you who want to split hairs about it.

What's more important? a paper of marriage license or the de facto polygamy in Utah?

Does law of Utah illegalize polygamy?  A judge ruled that the law making polygamy illegal in Utah is unconstitutional.

Casting away the disagree, let's agree at the fact: Brown and his four WIVES have been living happily together ever after.

P.S. Homosexual marriage was illegal in the US, but more and more states there are going to legalize it soon.
There is one spectacle grander than the sea, that is the sky; there is one spectacle grander than the sky, that is the interior of the soul.-Victor Hugo

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-10-30 20:54:35 |Display all floors
Q4 awesome

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-10-31 03:25:41 |Display all floors
Q6: Government in America is like a layered pyramid? What’s your understanding of it?

Actually, I am writting an article on the topic that I will post later this year - focusing on local government in America.

As for the analogy... I would say a three legged stool would be a better example - covering the executive, judiciary, and legislative.
China's Eccentric 'Uncle Laowai' from Chicago, IL

http://blog.chinadaily.com.cn/home.php?mod=space&uid=135031&do=blog&view=me&from=space

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-10-31 14:08:42 |Display all floors
On words for wife, like a few other words, there is often the option of using Cockney rhyming slang
WIFE = Trouble and Strife.

LOVER is an interesting word as it could of course mean ones wife but often is used to imply another person who is the true object of affection, despite having a wife. So LOVER can be mistress but not definitively. Then we have the concept of SIGNIFICANT OTHER and of LOVE INTEREST.

We have the jokes. "Fred you look tired today" said Bill. "Yes I had to get up early after a sleepless night." Fred replied. "Oh dear" said Bill, "had to start work early?"  "No" replied Fred "I was up most of the night giving passion to my loved one.... but I had to get out of bed at 5 am to catch the bus home to the wife"
To read more about me: http://capaworld.capa.org/2014/01/17/capa-resident-director-china-programs-interview-colin-speakman/.

Use magic tools Report

2014 Most Valuable Member

Post time 2014-11-1 07:55:47 |Display all floors
incarnationabc Post time: 2014-10-30 20:46
Ma'am,

It is not me but you who want to split hairs about it.

You and everyone else can call them 'wives', concubines - what they really are, or crazy, but please don't mislead people by stating falsehoods as facts. Nowhere in the United States is polygamy legal. He is only married to one woman. The rest of the women only cohabitate without the benefit of a legal union.
The journey IS the destination!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-11-1 08:41:48 |Display all floors
This post was edited by incarnationabc at 2014-11-1 09:28
teamkrejados Post time: 2014-11-1 07:55
You and everyone else can call them 'wives', concubines - what they really are, or crazy, but plea ...

Good morning Ma'am,

You look like the proverbial ostrich bury your head in the sand.

First, did you read "A judge ruled that the law making polygamy illegal in Utah is unconstitutional." ?

Second, you do ignore the fact more than 40, 000 people in Utah involve in polygamy according to statistics, and polygamy is a tradtion in Utah.  

Third, how do you know Brown has secularly married to any of them? If you dare call any of the women "concubine"  in the face of the Browns , I bet they, he and his Four WIVES , are going to have a fight with you.

Fourth, you, as an oridinary individual, even you are an American, don't have a modicum right to interpret laws or the Constitution of the USA. The lawmaker is the Congress, and the court of the Utah has ruled it is unconstitutional to illegalize polygamy. Your remarks are at odds with the the Constitution of the USA and have ignored the rule of the law there, discriminating the women of Brown's as concubines. You have no right to judge the people's life, marriage as well on your values, and recognition, especially they are ordinary people and have privacy.

There are numerous people who cohabit without any marriage license in every state of America. Are you going to illegalise all of them? If you seriously think so, to call a spade a spade, you are an ignoramus of laws.

Fifth, you need to interview with Mrs Hillary Clinton and ask her what she care more, a paper-thin marriage license or the former President Bill Clinton's fidelity to their marriage.

Sixth, I am going to upload the happy family photo of Browns as the FACT you have been denying.

Finally I think I have made myself pretty clear about my points. I am afraid I have no bone to pick with you on the basis of FACTS and LAWS. You can own that stubborn bone in your body alone.

No offence. Have a good one, Ma'am!

P.S. I suggest you give the judge of Utah a bell, tell him how indignant you are about his ruling before you waste your time to argue with me about it again.
There is one spectacle grander than the sea, that is the sky; there is one spectacle grander than the sky, that is the interior of the soul.-Victor Hugo

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-11-1 08:43:31 |Display all floors
incarnationabc Post time: 2014-11-1 08:41
You look like the proverbial ostrich bird bury your head in the sand.

First, did you read "A jud ...

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.