Author: voice_cd

Questions to ask English experts from Chinese learners (Round 25)   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-10-30 10:16:36 |Display all floors
This post was edited by incarnationabc at 2014-10-30 14:11

first wife= ex-wife in the light of Marriage Law of the People's Republic of China. Thereof, it is inappropriate to refer to a Chinese man's spouse as "first wife" of his if he isn't divoriced and gets married again.

Utah has legalised polygyny. People there can have second wife, third wife, umpteen wife...

There is one spectacle grander than the sea, that is the sky; there is one spectacle grander than the sky, that is the interior of the soul.-Victor Hugo

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-10-30 10:41:51 |Display all floors
incarnationabc Post time: 2014-10-29 14:34
Q4: Which word do you think is the most beautiful English word in the world?

beautiful

love

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-10-30 11:05:06 |Display all floors
This post was edited by incarnationabc at 2014-10-30 11:08
黄柳莹 Post time: 2014-10-30 10:41
love

Okay, it is beauitful love!
There is one spectacle grander than the sea, that is the sky; there is one spectacle grander than the sky, that is the interior of the soul.-Victor Hugo

Use magic tools Report

2014 Most Valuable Member

Post time 2014-10-30 12:17:37 |Display all floors
incarnationabc Post time: 2014-10-30 10:16
first wife= ex-wife in the light of Marriage Law of the People's Republic of China, thereof, it is i ...

Polygyny is illegal everywhere in the United States.
Formerly, the Mormons allowed plural marriage (polygyny), but it has since been outlawed.
The journey IS the destination!

Use magic tools Report

2014 Most Valuable Member

Post time 2014-10-30 12:23:31 |Display all floors
#3: 'The ole ball and chain' - derogatory, refers to 'wife'. 'On the side' is one way a mistress can be described. Other ways are: get some strange, my other model, my spare mattress... all insulting.

#4: In my opinion, 'serendipity' - a fortunate accident, is the most beautiful word in meaning and in sound.

#5: hair care depends on the type of hair. Afro hair (hair on people who are black) requires special care. People with curly hair need a lot of care because their hair is so fine and fragile. There are as many or more hair care products in the west as there are in China.

#6: don't get me started on American government!

Hope this helps!  
The journey IS the destination!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-10-30 12:28:31 |Display all floors
This post was edited by incarnationabc at 2014-10-30 12:38
teamkrejados Post time: 2014-10-30 12:17
Polygyny is illegal everywhere in the United States.
Formerly, the Mormons allowed plural marriag ...

Ma'am, please go read the report.

Here's the snippet.

*************from the Daily Mail*******
A judge has ruled that parts of Utah's law banning polygamy are unconstitutional, effectively decriminalizing the practice, in a victory for the family that appears in the reality TV show 'Sister Wives'.

Kody Brown, who stars in the TLC reality show with his four wives, filed a lawsuit against the state after leaving Utah fearing prosecution after the programme aired.

Now a federal judge has issued his final ruling in the case that strikes down parts of the state's anti-polygamy law.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-10-30 13:04:33 |Display all floors
This post was edited by incarnationabc at 2014-10-30 14:05

Q4: Which word do you think is the most beautiful English word in the world?

I would say "beautiful" is an one-size-fit-all word for everything to describe all the niceness, kindness, fondness, virtue, et al, i.e, beautiful love, peace, friendship, mother, fafther, kids, scenery, homeland, home...

Yet, I am personally obsessed with "sepia-tinged". The shades of black colour is never outdated, always like the little black dress in the wardrobes of Western women. Being a Chinese woman, it reminds me of beautiful traditional Chinese water and ink painting with understated, reserved strokes... a sepia-tinged snap would be a nice heartfelt cry redolent of the fond past, as we hastily move on to the future...

(I forgot my disclaimer: I am not an English expert. )

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.