Author: voice_cd

Questions to ask English experts from Chinese learners (Round 18)   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-9-1 06:19:07 |Display all floors
We can make non-words by adding -ish and in general the idea is a quantum description. ’I feel happyish,’ would mean the speaker feels quasi-happy. ’I feel squeemish,’ means the speaker feels uncomfortable. ’Yesish,’ means quasi-yes, which in any situation needing a full clear ’yes’ had best be interpreted as no. However, adding -y to a word turns the idea of the word into a description, and the crispness of the idea is kept clear, in contrast with the blurryness of -ish.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-9-1 06:27:37 |Display all floors
’You are a fine one to talk’ calls a Tu Quoque, the You, Too fallacy. An observer may say. ’The pot calls the kettle black.’  Such expressions are used when two do a same wrong and one admonishes the other, then the others argument is, ’Yeah, it is okay to do wrong since you did it too because two wrongs are right and make it okay.’

’The pot calls the kettle black,’ and ’Tu Quoque’ are spoken by the third person observer who sees both wrongs are wrong.

’You are a fine one to talk,’ and ’You, too,’ are spoken by the second wrongdoer against the firat wrongdoer while arguing for tacit permission to do wrong.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-9-1 07:30:34 |Display all floors
This post was edited by werwolf at 2014-9-1 10:02

"We can make non-words by adding -ish and in general the idea is a quantum description. ’I feel happyish,’ would mean the speaker feels quasi-happy. ’I feel squeemish,’ means the speaker feels uncomfortable. ’Yesish,’ means quasi-yes, which in any situation needing a full clear ’yes’ had best be interpreted as no. However, adding -y to a word turns the idea of the word into a description, and the crispness of the idea is kept clear, in contrast with the blurryness of -ish."

Have you ever heard anyone say "happyish"?  I haven't.  For such an uncertain situation I think a person might say, "Sure I'm happy...well, sort of...", something like that.

Squeamish is an actual word, not a modification of "squeam", which is not even a word.

"Yesish", same as "happyish".  Never heard such a thing used.  There are plenty of ways to modify a "yes", but I don't think "yesish" is one of them.

Sorry to be so contentious - I mean contenshish, but I'm feeling rather pugnatious, I mean pugnashish todayish.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-9-1 07:30:46 |Display all floors
This post was edited by werwolf at 2014-9-1 07:31

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-9-1 07:31:02 |Display all floors
This post was edited by werwolf at 2014-9-1 07:32

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-12-4 09:41:39 From mobile |Display all floors
the word nice
Playing Mahjong in Hangzhou world competition.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.