Author: voice_cd

Questions to ask English experts from Chinese learners (Round 18)   [Copy link] 中文

2014 Most Valuable Member

Post time 2014-8-27 10:35:05 |Display all floors
ColinSpeakman Post time: 2014-8-26 20:01
Yes but not everyone has that meal. Traditionally at 5 or 5.30pm. High tea at 4 pm.

Thanks. have a great day.
The journey IS the destination!

Use magic tools Report

2014 Most Valuable Member

Post time 2014-8-27 10:48:13 |Display all floors
Q5: Another theory about why ships are called 'she'. In the old days of masted ships there was a sculpture, sometimes of a woman, on the prow. Many sailors named their ships after the women in their lives (and still do!)  
The term 'Mother Ship' dates back to the 1800's, when small craft were used to hunt and kill whales. they would then bring the meat to the larger ship - the mother ship for  processing and storage.
The journey IS the destination!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-8-27 13:39:57 |Display all floors
Ratfink Post time: 2014-8-27 01:47
Q1:
Why do native speakers tend to add an "-ish" after certain word? For example, 'yes…ish", "Nice ...

While I agree the formal aspect of Ratfinks explanation, it is not how many folks growing up in Britain  actually saw it. My family used to like to have tea when I got home from school at 5pm and this was a fairly light tea and not high tea.  It would often by a salad. I guess it could be taken at 3pm but that would not be normal at least in the North of England. Some days I would get home at 4pm and go kick a ball around until 5pm when a mum would come out to the gate and call out : it is time for tea. So you see there are different versions of this. In my part of the world we would not take tea other than to mean a tea break at 3pm. Family would not be together that time. So 5 pm tea. If not in a family that takes tea at 5pm it would be later as dinner at 6.pm it 7 pm start. .occasional later and we never used the term high tea to describe it.

However if we went out at a weekend to a hotel, they would often serve high tea at 4pm and dinner (more substantial) from 6 pm so there really are two versions of this. Ratfink  is not wrong to describe what the dictionary says, but we did not live life like that, I described what happened up North.
To read more about me: http://capaworld.capa.org/2014/01/17/capa-resident-director-china-programs-interview-colin-speakman/.

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal 2015 Most Valuable Member Medal of honor June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Valuable Member

Post time 2014-8-27 19:12:18 |Display all floors
ColinSpeakman Post time: 2014-8-27 13:39
While I agree the formal aspect of Ratfinks explanation, it is not how many folks growing up in Br ...

I come from the north too, but we did have Afternoon tea as we were from an "old landed" family.
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-8-27 19:42:02 |Display all floors
as someone mentioned, yuanfen is destiny or fate. karma is more a cause-and-effect thing. if you do something good, its accumulating good karma. and if you inflict harm on another, its accumulating bad karma.
Human nature is good and can be trusted.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-8-27 21:15:38 |Display all floors
Ratfink Post time: 2014-8-27 11:12
I come from the north too, but we did have Afternoon tea as we were from an "old landed" family.

Nice!
To read more about me: http://capaworld.capa.org/2014/01/17/capa-resident-director-china-programs-interview-colin-speakman/.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-8-29 07:19:12 |Display all floors
I think this thread got well answered! Bring on the next questions!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.