Views: 128169|Replies: 11

Bi-cultural puzzles for overseas-born children     [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-7-18 11:41:58 |Display all floors

There is a growing number of children coming back from abroad with their returning parents. We may dub them ‘little turtles’. Having living in western context for years, these children are marked by western education system, social values and cultural environment, which are quite different from those of china’s.

Therefore, after they come back to their motherland, they may face the problem of cultural adaption. They are not only bi-lingual but also bi-cultural and that how to balance the two powers could baffle the parents. And this is what we focus on.

The following questions are for your reference.

1.        According to your observation, what does bi-lingual ability bring to the children indeed (acquiring thinking mode or approaching different culture)?

2.        How do western and Chinese values, culture, education system influence thinking mode?

3.        How to balance western and Chinese cultural education?

Welcome to share your opinion over this topic and what are the "little turtles" like if you meet some.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-7-19 07:31:09 |Display all floors
It is programmable logic suitable for firmware, such as chips made by Altera.

Input a cultural question.

Form S = the set of local answers from culture, with or without reference to such factors as sensibility, decency, ethics or similar modifiers since some cultures celebrate debauchery in order to kill decency. IE first, listen locally with suspended judgement.

Apply to the set S, (a) rank by decency, (b) benefit - cost short term and long term evaluations, and also, (c) identify alternatives not invented by local cultures, to find best solutions.

Rewrite S as a partially ordered set optimized for viability, decency, our species in our biosphere, individuals in communities having responsible liberty of expression, and trade relations, meeting individual and community goals.

From the rewritten set S, select the best option, attribute the solution to from where the solution is, whether one of the local cultures or whether invented to supplement cultural input.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-7-19 12:35:20 |Display all floors
This post was edited by cruising at 2014-7-19 12:35

these questions are good as essay questions. :) i have noticed that chinese people who grew up in asia often ask very complicated questions that make me feel like i am taking an examination.

anyway, the best thing about being exposed to another culture is that you become more tolerant of different ways of doing things. you realize that your way is just one way, and not the way. :)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-7-21 00:21:32 |Display all floors
There is a growing number of children coming back from abroad with their returning parents.

Hm... while the question is interesting, there appears to be some context that is missing - are these children who were born in China, but raised abroad as the parents worked (hence have P.R. Chinese Passports) or children that were born aboard?  If born abroad, then there is the prickly question of citizenship and what passport that child has.  If my hazy memory serves, P.R. China does not recognize dual citizenship as some other countries.  So... if the child is 18 years or older, there is no real chance of 'returning to the motherland' per se.  If younger, the parent may be a bit reluctant to 'renounce' that other citizenship, if it means a better chance for their child to get a better education or have a better life abroad as opposed to 'staying with the motherland'.
China's Eccentric 'Uncle Laowai' from Chicago, IL

http://blog.chinadaily.com.cn/home.php?mod=space&uid=135031&do=blog&view=me&from=space

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-7-21 00:23:38 |Display all floors
Hell, let us put the thought out there... what is there to stop some elements in Beijing from taking advantage of a child's foreign citizenship (and their passport) to attempt to get their own children to other countries for personal or national reasons?
China's Eccentric 'Uncle Laowai' from Chicago, IL

http://blog.chinadaily.com.cn/home.php?mod=space&uid=135031&do=blog&view=me&from=space

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-7-24 09:23:18 |Display all floors
a lot of questions asked, but no questions answered.

I think that is because  all the chat-room goers here are not bi-cultural, so  they don't know.
a pity! no chinese really understand western culture, and vice versa.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-7-24 09:26:45 |Display all floors
MiaoY Post time: 2014-7-24 09:23
a lot of questions asked, but no questions answered.

I think that is because  all the chat-room goe ...

chinese may surface the surface of western culture, but not deep enough to know the spirit of it . neither   the western people in china do to understand chinese culture. oil and water.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.