Views: 78095|Replies: 49

What advice would you give to the students who failed Gaokao?     [Copy link] 中文

August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012

Post time 2014-6-26 17:21:51 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked
Life is what you make of it

Use magic tools Report

August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012

Post time 2014-6-26 17:27:32 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked
Life is what you make of it

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member 2015 Most Valuable Member 2014 Most Valuable Member

Post time 2014-6-27 11:48:45 |Display all floors
We don't have these exams

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-6-27 13:29:45 |Display all floors
DSseeing Post time: 2014-6-26 17:27
Heart-breaking suicide note: Dad, Mom, I'm sorry. I still want to be your daughter in the next lif ...

From this point, what a bad Gaokao!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-6-27 16:14:03 |Display all floors
In America we have an exam like this called the SAT (Scholastic Aptitude Test). It determines who will go to college and who will not. It is enormous pressure too maybe not quite as bad as China but nevertheless super high pressure as kids (and parents) think this one set of tests will define a person's success in life.

The first time I took it right out of high school I did very poorly. I was heart-broken as I didn't have a good family life and got no support from parents.

After working for a few years instead of attending college right out of high school I went back and took it again this time with much better results. I was admitted to college on "Academic Probation". I proved myself that first semester and the probation was lifted. I went on to become a Mechanical Engineer which is very difficult to achieve with all the heavy math and science courses required for a degree.

What I learned from that experience is it's not how well you do on a test rather how well you respond to problems. I was a US Navy pilot and when a problem would occurr late at night in the middle of the ocean your mind can become terrified if you don't keep control of it. The Navy preached: "Work the Problem DON"T let the problem work you". That philosophy worked every time it never failed me. I've used it all my life in every difficult situation.

I would advise anyone to drill this into their mind that there is virtually no problem that cannot be defeated as long as you keep control of your mind and fears and calmly: "Work the problem DON'T let the problem work you"

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-6-27 18:00:10 |Display all floors
Don't let a good sentiment - gratitude and filial piety towards one's parents - end in a non-reversible and pointless tragedy.

Study the lives of all those who have succeeded.  Most never passed higher education.  They just worked hard and smart until good luck and destiny arrive at their feet just when their eyes and minds are alert to each fresh opportunity.

Every life is meant to be lived in such a way as to deliver a message onto the entire universe.  Whether the message is good or bad depends on how oneself sees the world and appreciates the challenges of life.  Patience and perseverance can change the tides of life.

The gaokao is just a men-made exam. Not the self-made life which is so much more.  After all, hurting oneself because of an exam failure is hurting one's parents from whom one has arrived into this world. It is as though they were the ones who had taken the exam and failed - doubly.

There is no shame in failing in anything. Nobody is made in this world to excel in everything.  But there should be shame in not getting up to try again. If not the exam, then try something else in life.  One day one will surely shine in some career or vocation however humble it may be.

A better person is s.he who works honestly for the welfare of others than one who uses personal skills and talents to cheat and do bad things for personal gain exclusively.  A good person may have very little materially but a lot of value which endures; a bad person may have a lot materially but too little of those qualities which are really valuable.

Have faith in life.

Use magic tools Report

Elite Member

Snowipine

Glod Medal Blogger of 2013

Post time 2014-6-27 22:12:22 |Display all floors
No one doesn't like high score in any contest, even it is a game, a tiny playful game; and no one doesn't like flowers and applause and praising words.
However, game is game, Gaokao is only one of the games in one's lifetime. Here will be more games after that.  After a heavy weeping, take it easy, there have plenty of ways to choose.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.