Home / Forum / China watch

Do Chinese Teachers Deserve More Respect?

pnp

Jan 19, 2021, 11:42

Came across this CD Opinion piece,  "More needs to be done to make teaching a respected profession"

Respect is earned, not demanded!  Chinese teachers have more respect from their students, (quite often undeserved), than teachers overseas from their students! 

In Asian culture the teacher is always given more respect than they deserve, simply by virtue of their profession.  Unfortunately, not all teachers deserve such respect, because they lack professionalism.  For instance, Chinese teachers of English often speak broken English, ie Chinglish;  how can they rightfully command the respect of their students?  But they still do get respect because their students blindly respect them due to the Confucian belief that, "Teacher can't be wrong"! 

It is perhaps more appropriate to say that foreign teachers of English command better respect from their Chinese students simply because of their English language proficiency and teaching skills, and better rapport with their students.  Chinese teachers on the other hand, wield the big stick and threat of punishment to try to gain respect from their students;  that doesn't always work!  The mood of students in a foreign teacher's class and that of a Chinese teacher's class is testimony to the wide disparity in respect for teachers from both camps!

The way to enhance respect for Chinese teachers is to improve their professional skills, especially English language teaching skills, and their human relations skills.

29 643
pnp
wchao37 post time: 2021-01-21 20:44

"LGK, time to quit!"

You have perpetrated another lie!  I am not LGK, never have been; don't even know who he is!   Please stop planting lies in Forum, you are misleading readers!  Your spewing of lies is a page straight out of Trump's playbook!  Trump is gone, banished to Florida, far away from Washington DC, unable to cause anymore trouble.  It's time you forget him!

pnp
wchao37 post time: 2021-01-21 13:34

Now you even try to imitate your doggie!!  You sure need help!

pnp
GhostBuster post time: 2021-01-22 11:10

Mass production of teachers is not a good option!  The State should emphasise quality over quantity!   Failure to stick to this rule would result in disavantages to students.

pnp
wchao37 post time: 2021-01-21 20:44

Good riddance!  You won't be missed!

GhostBuster

Due sudden need for great increase and demand for teachers across the nation, China Education Ministry did not implement policy to encourage learning but inducing aggressive competition that drove top brains to foreign countries that develop them better had they stayed in China.

This caused the lack of respect for teachers and teaching profession which Education Ministry must seek solution but not demand from the public.

That China wants to surmount great heights overnight does produces armies of retarded learners that could only recite but not solve simple problems once their books are closed and put aside.

This clamity is also experienced in most other countries that till now some are still struggling to get it correct for small progress forward.

wchao37

No time for you guys.

LGK, time to quit!

Luckywife01
pnp post time: 2021-01-21 14:01

👍 Absolutely!!

Luckywife01
pnp post time: 2021-01-21 13:59

No worries anytime pnp.👌🙂.  Leraning is part of our life journey and wish you a valuable journey in exploring Chinese culture and its people, which is not easy but can make you think differently or develop new skills in return.

pnp
Luckywife01 post time: 2021-01-21 09:00

I've already noticed that; he, like his idol Donald Trump, doesn't like to be told he is wrong, but that will not stop me speaking the truth, although that hurts him a lot!

pnp
Luckywife01 post time: 2021-01-21 09:08

Thanks for your encouragement!  I am indeed very interested in China's 5000 y.o. culture, of whic I know but a bit.