Home / Forum / Free talk and fun

Why education isn't only about intelligence?

A very hungry caterpillar

Oct 19, 2020, 11:31

Students, especially Chinese kids are are being shuttled around to learn English, maths and science and five instruments and four sports and getting trophies and certificates and getting portfolios put together, but are they being taught what resilience is? Are they being taught what it means to persevere towards a goal? Do they know what respect means? Do they know how to build relationships with other people? Do they have their own sense of identity? Are they contributing to the community? Those things are the most important in life.

So much focus is put on intelligence, but if you have intelligence without character, you could use intelligence in the wrong way. Intelligence is just a tool. Character determines how you use that tool.

All in all, Education is not only about intellegence, but a mix of character, values, and identity.

7 632
GhostBuster

There is no scale of measurement for intelligence of any human being by all means.

Chinese parents will produce MORE LESS INTELLIGENT CHILDREN or EVEN IDIOTS who will haunt themselves and their parents!

Luckywife01
The post does not exist

Humanity is also something wemay miss in our education. But that might be a problem in America or other western countries.  Guess for majority of our Chinese people, the first priority in life is to survive or make a living by studying or working extremely hard to excel from the crowds, which is understandable and acceptable.  But as one of the biggest group of global village resident, we sometimes still need to jump out of box and try to think from other people's perspective. 

Luckywife01

i was well surprised but truely impressed with one of my clients back in June. The guy is in his early 30's with serious depression. I went through some questions with him in a quiz of online test. He clearly described he admires someone for his courage and efforts in helping neighbourhood kids to get better life!  I can see his genuine passion in telling me the reason the other person has become his role model.  Obviously this is not an intelligent or smart guy in Chinese culture or criteria, but as a human being, i suddenly become aware of the fact that regardless of his disadvantaged barrier mentally or intellectually, this man has his own judegement or standards.🤔

Luckywife01

By observance or interference, i guess majority of our Chinese live in habbits, good or bad which depends on the education or environment they grow up with; Or some of us just follow traditions or customs blindly without thinking too much; We seem to be lack of natural or true passion on things; Some of us hugely are lack of SECURITY in life including myself - We are not either very confident of ourselves or we like to believe other people, which i found its so hopeless & frustrating all the time.

A very hungry caterpillar
Luckywife01 post time: 2020-10-20 10:48

I agree with you!

Luckywife01

Honestly speaking, i do think education could be the biggest problem for our counytry. Exactly what kind of people we are trying to cultivate is so important for China - not just intellectually smart to make a lot of money means success for individuals, at least he or she should have their own ideas of their life or future. But i can see some improvement of mindset shift for new generations in society.

huaqiao

I agree. Education is about wholesome development of a person, not just academic. An academically educated person is not necessarily truly educated unless he/she is also educated in spirit and soul.