Home / Forum / World affairs

What's wrong with "Black Lives Matters"?

huaqiao

Jul 02, 2020, 14:09

The recent "Black Lives Matter" (BLM) protests in many cities, especially in western influenced ones (including Asia) made me think about what it really means. Why is it not "All Lives Matters"? Are black lives more important than the others? During this COVID-19 pandemic, many Chinese and those who look like Chinese are being verbally and physically assaulted and yet there is no such huge turnout in protest as the BLM. Do these BLM protesters care only about black lives? Why didn't they protest against the anti-Chinese assaults but kept quiet all these while? There are some possible answers:

1) These people are not actually anti-racist but racists themselves. If they are truly anti-racists, they would have carried the "All Lives Matters" banner and be consistent with it.

2) There is a concerted effort to raise the awareness and level of Blacks to the extent of reverse discrimination against other races. It becomes "Politically Correct" and the same rhetoric has been pushed through the media (including entertainment such as movies and TV series/drama). Since it is politically correct, many people are caught up with this blindly due to herd mentality. That is why these same people keep quiet about the anti-Chinese assaults but roar with rage when it comes to BLM.

3) It is political in nature. Recent news shows that this movement is also an attempt to topple Trump and many political opponents of Trump are hyping it up to gain an upper hand.

This shows that many events cannot be judged superficially. Careful contemplation is needed to come to a judgement closer to the truth.

18 513
tatata69
huaqiao post time: 2020-07-11 11:45

I think there is nothing we can do about this at a time when lots of liberal journalists even launch philippics against their own colleagues expressing distaste for "cancel culture" or "critical race theory."

Bari Weiss had to leave the New York Times after being scolded and even pilloried by her colleagues for refusing to rhapsodise about BLM.   Andrew Sullivan also had to leave another liberal publication since  he's loth to harp on about BLM and  some black writers' demands for black privilege. You know some black writers have declaimed against the notion that we can find racial equality on earth, on the grounds that there is no room for this. Which is to say  they argue that America is either ruled by white people or black people.

America is supposed to be a nation that exalts robust debate and freedom of association, in the words of Tocqueville. That's not what's happeneing in America at the moment; it seems to have become an Orwellian place where people get short shrift for balking at glorifying BLM.

huaqiao
tatata69 post time: 2020-07-10 16:47

"Problem is,  we are talking about some black radicals who want to take up arms against white people, not just Trump's America. And their ultimate goal is to seize power just like what  black people did in South Africa, and then introduce its own version of racial profiling.  Non-black people will be marginalized.

Biden's black advisers have their own ulterior motives for this reason."

That would be another form of racism. By the way, hiring someone based on race just to be politically correct is also racism.

tatata69
huaqiao post time: 2020-07-10 12:34

A perfect explanation would be that BLM  has made inroads by dint of winning support from progressive liberals as well as liberal publications like the New York Times, the New Yorker, and The Washington Post, all of which support Biden while decrying Trump's coddling of far-right activists.

In  a nod to black people's pleas for racial equality, such liberal publications and TV networks have hired lots of black journalists or opinion writers, thereby expanding BLM's scope and helping black journalists proselytize black power. Biden's attempts to win the black vote also give black people a chance to use it as a leverage. 

Problem is,  we are talking about some black radicals who want to take up arms against white people, not just Trump's America. And their ultimate goal is to seize power just like what  black people did in South Africa, and then introduce its own version of racial profiling.  Non-black people will be marginalized.

Biden's black advisers have their own ulterior motives for this reason.

huaqiao
tatata69 post time: 2020-07-10 10:13

"Rather than seeking reconciliation,  Nikole Hannah-Jones ,  creator of  the 1619 Project, fomented hate last month after she told CBSN-which is owned by CBS-that "destroying property 'is not violence.""

That is the problem some people have. They cannot differentiate between what is right and wrong anymore. Everything is "grey" and all they do is argue to become "right".  They make a mockery of "free speech" and "human rights" to justify themselves.

tatata69
gork post time: 2020-07-10 00:44

George Soros? George Soros is said to be the guy bankrolling Antifa, according to some American publications. He has nothing to do with BLM and the Boogaloo movement; some members of the Boogaloo movement happen to be fascists hating Jewish people like George Soros.

Some black protesters seem to have become besotted with the idea of using violence to get what they want. And the thinking that black people should settle score with non-black people has been backed up by some foremost black journalists, including New York Times Magazine's  Nikole Hannah-Jones, who won  the Pulitzer Prize for the 1619 Project, which aims to tell readers the history of black slavery and black slaves' tribulations and white exploiters' wickedness. 

Rather than seeking reconciliation,  Nikole Hannah-Jones ,  creator of  the 1619 Project, fomented hate last month after she told CBSN-which is owned by CBS-that "destroying property 'is not violence."

"Violence is when an agent of the state kneels on a man's neck until all of the life is leached out of his body. Destroying property, which can be replaced, is not violence. And to put those things- to use the same language to describe those two things I think really- it's not moral to do that," she added.

So that's her justification for looting Chinese Americans and  burning down their shops by a mob of black protesters?  Don't you think her remarks smack of revanchism?  It's just like instigating black protesters to rough up Chinese and Asian Americans in the name of exalting BLACK LIVES MATTER  movement.  

To Nikole Hannah-Jones and her followers' consternation, some black protesters also want to vent their spleen on their own black fellows. One of them  shot down a little black girl.

Who's to blame ? 

gork

Six african amerikan children have been murdered. This looks more like the work of a political group rather than white-supremacists. War criminal, Giorgy Schwartz has been accused of funding groups that cause division both abroad and in the gangster-run, thieved prison-state of Amerika. Race riots would reflect badly on war criminal, The Donald.

tatata69
tatata69 post time: 2020-07-07 21:25

A typo.  Asking them  to go back to China. 

tatata69

You think black people just want to use BLM to importune Trump's America to defund the police? Not that simple according to an article published by The Economist, which reports that "some black people even called for the police department's  abolition".

Just imagine a nation without uniformed constables protecting people and their assets, with gun-toting gangsters going on a rampage and streets crawling with dope-smoking tearaways, mardy teens and randy guys who are on the prowl. That's a recipe for unlawfulness.

tatata69

Some black journalists just can't wait to show their true colours. One of them is Karen Attiah, who's Washington Post global opinions editor. She  tweeted that“ white women are lucky that we are just calling them ‘Karen’s.'And not calling for revenge.”

The word Karen is a pejorative term used to refer to a middle-aged white woman; it's an insulting word just like the word coon that's used to refer to a black person.

Faced with vitriolic criticisms from white people,  Karen Attiah deleted the tweet, Yet she still doesn't resile from such extreme positions. She belaboured White America in another tweet. “America is a racist *and* patriarchal society. We cannot dismantle the full range of oppression in this society without addressing how toxic ideas of white masculinity interplay with the notion of ‘protecting’ their women from Black people." 

I'm bemused since I can't find anything wrong with the idea of protecting people from some black hoodlums wanting to hurt them.  It happened last month.  Some black arsonists burned down Chinese Americans'shops; several black looters charged into a shop owned by a woman who is Chinese American; a black man spoke with a tone of condescension after some black mobs destroyed another shop owned by a man who's Chinese American, according to a video clip released by someone. The black man is seen deriding the Chinese American and his "bombed-out"shop  with peals of laughter in the video.

The Black man: "Hi, what happened, Mac? Tell me what happened? Oh, poor man."

The Chinese American:" Come on, You know what happened."

The Black Man:" No. I don't know. Tell me what happened?   Maybe I could buy some drinks from you. Do I have to pay for it?  Haaaaaaaaa."

Did  Karen Attiah talk about this in her column published by the Post?  My takeaway: black people just think that it's okay for them to chelp at white women and men for not getting chummy with them , duh, simply because white people are guilty. Above all, their ancestors were told to serve white people willy-nilly as slaves. On the flip side, black people start acting like nonchalant sorts  when Chinese Americans talk about their rights. Worst yet, they are not hesitant to shrivel Chinese Americans with racial slurs.

"Go back to China. This is my country," a pot-bellied black woman reportedly said this to a girl who's Chinese American.  Hearing this, the  girl stood back, with her eyes dilated with fear. 

Did Karen Attiah ever mention this in her column? I'd imagine that Karen Attiah would have written something like this with a hint of asperity.

"Chinese Americans are lucky that we are just asking them go back to China. They should realize that America is  a racist society. Why do Chinese Americans want to push back against Black America?  Non-black people should not prescind from the idea that black men have the right to accost and harass non-black girls and women on the streets. And they are not respecting black people when they don't.  Black men just want to "PROTECT" them."

tatata69
huaqiao post time: 2020-07-04 12:32

America is still a nation riven by partisan furies and  power struggles ,  with  liberals and conservatives squabbling over many issues.  The rivalry between  red state and blue state, fanned by local grievances ,  has aggravated America's rancour.  And the ongoing protests related to racial discrimination, if anything, only heightens racial tensions, turning America into a cauldron of violence and class antagonism.

White conservatives living in Southern red states,  who got behind Trump in the 2016 presidential election,  call black people and new immigrants line-cutters, arguing that such line-cutters have been coddled and protected , whereas liberals bogart  white conservatives into plumping for policies of positive discrimination for black people,   according to a book written by Arlie Russell Hochschild, who is a liberal writer.  That's why Fox News shock jocks have won a cult following in  red states;  people living in blue states, which have more liberal voters, watch MSNBC and CNN.

I think Chinese Americans have no choice but to take sides in the upcoming presidential election. If Biden only wants to fawn over black voters without paying heed to Chinese and Asian Americans' concerns,  then there are no grounds to think he is going to grab more votes from Asian Americans. 

All the same, does that mean they'd prefer to vote for Trump? I think it's still too early to tell. Yet if black protesters keep looting shops owned by Chinese and Asian Americans, then that's a gift for Trump.   And I hasten to add that the most critical issue for American voters is still the performance of America's economy and their own financial soundness, including job safety and welfare benefits. Which is to say Biden can't win the election just by playing race card, even though BLM and Far-right seem willing to  scrap for the lead.

Personally, I think Biden and Trump still stand on an equal footing, notwithstanding CNN's contention that Biden is a leader in the polls.  Fox News also  suggests that Biden's a winner in national polls.  Yet I have my reservations. Hillary Clinton would be the current president instead of Trump if CNN had been right about the outcome of the 2016 presidential election. CNN's own poll showed that Hillary Clinton would win out way back.