Views: 2192|Replies: 2

Is college worth it? Or a waste of money? [Copy link] 中文

August's Best Contributor 2012

Post time 2013-9-2 11:24:12 |Display all floors
Today is the first day of the new semester in many Chinese colleges. When the new crop of freshmen start arriving at colleges busy preparing for the brand new life, Lingling from Chengdu is negotiating with her father over whether to attend college or not. Her father stubbornly insisted that it is a waste of money and he would rather finance his daughter on her own business than spend thousands on tuition. It costs 80,000 yuan for four years’ tuition, says Lingling’s father, even after graduation, diploma doesn't even seem to guarantee a good job, or a job at all. What do you think? Is it a waste of time or money to attend college? Is college a way of changing one’s destiny in your country?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-9-2 21:37:23 |Display all floors
It's time and money well spent provided you use your education to your advantage. Many have found it difficult to find a job within their field lately due to competition, or lack of openings. In regards to the costs of an education, here in the States, most people will qualify for grant money up to around $2-5k. I'm sure they could find additional money to add to the totals. Nobody said you needed to attend a college who's tuition is exceeding your financial capabilities. That being said, you could always take the credits you earned at one college and continue at another...
I have found out that a Community College credits are good at many State and private Colleges. The tuition for a resident at a local Com. College here is $5k. Typically, the US GOV PELL GRANT PROGRAM covers most of that...http://www.fafsa.ed.gov... After 2 years at a CC transfer to a state college FOR $12K/YR in Massachusetts...Other States vary in costs.

Use magic tools Report

August's Best Contributor 2012

Post time 2013-9-3 13:51:54 |Display all floors
SDIvester Post time: 2013-9-2 21:37
It's time and money well spent provided you use your education to your advantage. Many have found it ...

Thanks for your feedback. If I could do it over again, I would probably not have attended the college. You know, it is really a waste of time and money. I mean, the subjects I have leant in class hasn't any relevance to my present work. All I need is to start all over again. Isn't it better if I could work after graduation from high school? So my suggestion for the girl is to get a job, show some initiative, and work hard.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.