Author: futsanglung

Banking services   [Copy link] 中文

2016 Most Valuable Member CD top contributor in April 2015 Most Valuable Member Medal of honor Medal of honor

Post time 2016-9-13 18:42:20 |Display all floors
cmknight Post time: 2016-9-13 10:08
I remember going to a China Postal Bank, in Hangzhou, to send my sister some money by Western Union. ...

It can be done that way but I know what you mean, all bank staff in China have to have degrees to get their job, pity Chinese degrees appear so naff.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-9-17 07:38:48 |Display all floors
RonJaDa Post time: 2013-8-27 11:16
Ok your complaint would ring better if you were talking about the requirement to show the passport.  ...

Some improvements you mention are there, but the fact remains that in Chinese banks and post offices customers have to assume that their simple transaction might take over 1 hour!
English teacher and education adviser. China needs a teaching profession with less fear and more trust and honesty.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-9-17 07:52:05 |Display all floors
Successful business requires an amount of trust. China has a tradition of a lack of trust. Workers are not trusted to do work without supervision, teachers are not trusted to work professionally. Likewise banks seem to have no trust in their staff or the computers they use. There is little trust in their customers honesty. Therefore a simple transaction requires sufficient ID, even if they are familiar with the customer. Computers screens are scrutinised and double checked, money is counted 4 different ways. Even putting cash into an account creates all this fuss. Strangely China is advanced technologically. It is not beyond their capabilities to use it to improve efficiency. I always take a book to read whenever I visit the bank.
Posting a parcel here is another trial.
English teacher and education adviser. China needs a teaching profession with less fear and more trust and honesty.

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2016-9-17 09:29:55 |Display all floors
TedM Post time: 2016-9-17 07:52
Successful business requires an amount of trust. China has a tradition of a lack of trust. Workers a ...

I remember my first transaction at a Bank of China branch: It was in Manzhouli just across from the Russian border, and it was at the end of the 20th century, not in 2016...

There was a window in the wall of the train station. The bank customers lined up in front of the window. There was a stash of yuan bank notes within arms' length from the first customer. The bank teller sat next to it, facing the customers. Behind him stood another teller, and a third one was seated farther away, apparently surveying the situation.

I handed in my form to change money and my passport; this was checked and rechecked. Meanwhile the standing teller took the form and eyed it, then showed it to the teller seated in the rear. He gave the form back to the teller in front of the window who then took his abacus and calculated the amount in Chinese currency. That took half a minute or more; he entered the figure in ink on the form, asked me to sign, then showed it to the teller behind him who showed it to the third guy. Meanwhile, the first teller began to count the Chinese money, which took at least a minute, then he recounted it; this money then went into the hands of the standing teller who counted it again twice before letting the third banker count it twice more.

Finally the money came through the window along with my passport. At least 15 minutes had passed. If I had simply removed a wad of banknotes from the pile inside the window it would have taken seconds and I am not sure they would have caught me within the next 15 minutes...

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member CD top contributor in April 2015 Most Valuable Member Medal of honor Medal of honor

Post time 2016-9-17 15:42:14 |Display all floors
Successful business requires an amount of trust. China has a tradition of a lack of trust. Workers a ...

Is it not more down to

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-9-17 15:43:44 |Display all floors

Is it not more down to the same as many things in China, ie it has always worked that way so why change it? Much of the red tape in China could be easily simplified but it seems there is no will to do so.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-9-21 12:05:55 |Display all floors
sunnylin01 Post time: 2013-8-27 17:27
The Chinese banking sector is still dominated by 'China's bog four', which results in poor service q ...

The private banking in China is no better.
(mostly harmless)

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.