Views: 10493|Replies: 25

ALL FOR LOVE: CHINESE MAN TRADE HIS BUSINESS FOR A FILIPINO WOMAN   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-8-26 08:06:56 |Display all floors
LOVE CONQUERS ALL

CHINESE MAN TRADE HIS BUSINESS AND SOCIETY FOR A FILIPINO WOMAN

Some stories seem to exist only in novels and it’s inspiring to know they’re happening even in real life.

Chinese people are everywhere and some say that they marry local women in order to set up businesses. That’s a stereotype, yes, and not all Chinese men are the same. There are even Chinese men who would trade their business for the women that they love.

The offbeat couple
Mercy is a bubbly used to be easy-go-lucky who discovered her killer business skills after marrying Zho, a Chinese business man who would give up everything and anything he got just to stay married with the woman that he loves. She gave him a son, the first male grandchild in his father’s clan. They’ve been together for about five years.

What makes your marriage offbeat?

I’m a Filipina, born and raised in the Philippines while my husband is a Chinese who traveled and moved to the Philippines for business reasons. I’m Catholic and he is Buddhist. We have an intercultural and interfaith marriage.

What made you end up in an interracial/interfaith marriage? What was your motivation in deciding to marry someone of different culture or faith?

I met my husband when I was still in university while he was working in my friend’s rice mill business. At first I wasn’t attracted at him because I used to hate men of his kind having had the stereotype that Chinese men in the Philippines are using Filipinas only as means to put up businesses in the country, treating them like maids and giving them only an allowance which is akin to house keeping salary. Sadly, a lot of Filipinas agree to such set-up because of poverty and their desire to help their family.

We were not in a relationship when he got me pregnant. We both were drunk when it happened. I was depressed and frustrated with my former relationship and I used liquor to bury my pains. When I learned that I was 2 months and 11 days pregnant, we agreed that after I deliver the baby, he’ll have it and I’ll go away. But shortly before my pregnancy turned 4 months, he came to our house to seek my mom’s permission to marry me because he didn’t want the scandal that our impending plan will bring. But for me marriage is a life time commitment; I didn’t want to agree to get married just because I was pregnant and without love.

After I had the baby we decided to live together for the baby and to give it a try if we could make it as a couple. When our baby turned one year, we realized that we already learned to love each other. We had the wedding together with the baby’s christening.

Tell us about the wedding. Did your different religious and cultural background affect how you planned the wedding?

There’s a big difference between the Catholic church wedding and the Buddhist wedding. But I was glad that he wanted to have a Filipino wedding. He did what we call “pamanhikan” – a culture which requires the man, along with his parents, to formally ask the bride’s parents’ blessings. He was alone in the country so he did the pamanhikan alone. My family agreed to have a simple civil wedding which he did not agree. He wanted a Catholic Church wedding. We spoke to our town priest and he agreed to wed us. We had a very successful big wedding and that’s thanks to my high school teachers who organized it.

What are your biggest challenges (as an interracial couple) and how do you solve them?

One of our challenges is the language. He doesn’t speak Tagalog and I don’t speak Mandarin either. We oftentimes have disagreements related to the country’s system. I have to explain to him that the Philippines way of life as well as its political system is very different than that of his country so he must adjust. Eventually we’re learning to understand each other’s cultural differences

Another challenge is the criticisms that other Chinese people throw against me because I come from a poor family. They don’t think that marrying me was a good thing for my husband because I know nothing about business. It’s also important to note that Chinese people prefer their young to marry someone of the same race.

Are there any marital issues that come up due to different religious background? How do you address them?

For us, religion isn’t an issue. When I visited his family in China, I observed that they’re very religious. I go with them to their temple and respect their practices and beliefs. My husband is the same with me. We give way to each other’s religious beliefs.

How did your in-laws and extended families from each side react to your interracial marriage?

I’m really lucky because my parents in law are very supportive of our marriage. I feel that they truly accepted me in their family. When I visited them in China, I was completely welcome as a new member of the family. My parents are the same towards my husband. They treat him like their real son.

What are the benefits of an interracial marriage?

There are always surprises and new things to learn everyday. It’s amazing how two people can express love and care even with different culture, background and religion.

What compromises are required in order to make your marriage work?

We had to trust that our love is strong enough to make our marriage work. We also had to support each and believe that we can succeed in business by working hard together even without the help of friends who do not believe in our marriage. We had to be deaf to what other people are saying about us that we couldn’t make it. We trusted our instinct, we trusted each other.

Does cultural difference affect how you raise and discipline your child? In what way?

We want to expose our child to both culture and religion. We want him to learn both of our languages. If our baby speaks to his father, they’ll speak in Chinese language. If he speaks to me, we’ll speak in tagalong. He will be going to go school in China as well as here in the Philippines.

What’s your favorite way of spending time together?

We love to go out together with his friends. Sometimes we date in restaurants or have holiday vacation with our son.

What are your secrets in keeping the romance alive?

He always pampers and surprises me with gifts. I’m always tender on him.

What advice would you give to those who are planning for or are new to an interracial/interfaith marriage?

Regardless of culture, background and religion, trust is the most important thing. It proved essential for us in overcoming life’s hurdles, discrimination and differences.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-8-26 08:17:12 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Bandito at 2013-8-26 04:20

Clan? Is this 1865? If so I'm Chief long pipe of the Long pipe clan.
Chinese marrying a filipino has a very limited cultural chasm to negotiate!

No, I live above Sunset Plaza, it's a little house I rent and it's a little rundown but has a beautiful view, what about you?

Use magic tools Report

August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012

Post time 2013-8-26 15:49:34 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked
Life is what you make of it

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-8-27 13:59:59 |Display all floors
Different

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-8-27 16:10:19 |Display all floors
I don't believe in love

Use magic tools Report

August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012

Post time 2013-8-28 11:20:30 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked
Life is what you make of it

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-8-29 22:46:47 |Display all floors
manoj10 Post time: 2013-8-27 16:10
I don't believe in love

You must open your heart. Love is gone is gone. When you open your heart to love, love will come again, trust me.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.