Views: 4597|Replies: 2

Brutal Atrocities People Continue To Defend - II [Copy link] 中文

2015 Most Valuable Member Medal of honor Medal of honor Medal of honor

Post time 2013-8-8 15:30:57 |Display all floors
This post was edited by dostoevskydr at 2013-8-8 15:52

Contd...from I

6. Stalin

Stalin-e1375639604750.jpeg

For those living in the West, it seems laughable that even the most staunch Communist would defend Stalin. After all, the guy killed more people than Hitler, set up the most vicious secret police the world has ever known, and opened the door to other psychopaths like Ceausescu and Lukashenko. He also engineered the famine that left three million Ukrainians dead—so it can come as a surprise to learn that his most vigorous defenders are Ukrainian natives.
In 2010, the Ukrainian city of Zaporizhia commissioned a new statue of Stalin for their town square. Read that again and let the true extent of its madness sink in. The people of a nation that Stalin expressly set out to eliminate honored his memory not by burning effigies of him, but by erecting statues. As insanity goes, that’s right up there with renaming December 7 “Emperor Hirohito Appreciation Day.” But Ukraine’s love affair with Stalin goes beyond statues to even using him to advertise utility companies. It sounds crazy, and that’s because it totally is.

5. The Firebombing Of Germany

Firebombing-Dresden-e1375639405284.jpg

By any sane measure, the firebombing of Germany was deeply immoral. For three years, the Allies rained incendiary death down on civilian targets, killing nearly six times as many people as the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombings combined.
Take the bombing of Dresden: aside from one or two industrial areas, the city contained almost no military targets. What it did contain was hundreds of thousands of refugees, thousands of whom suffocated in the attack. At Hamburg, 50,000 people were wiped out in one night; while other towns of no strategic value were completely annihilated. And you better believe it was brutal. Survivors reported climbing over mountains of corpses, bodies melted into the tarmac roads by the intense heat, and shell-shocked mothers carrying the remains of their dead children in suitcases. In short, the human cost of the campaign was so high that even Churchill was disgusted by it—yet there are people out there who still claim the attacks were justified as just a part of winning the war.

4. The Armenian Genocide

Armenian-Genocide-e1375639989355.jpg

In 1915, the Turkish army systematically rounded up and exterminated 1.5 million Armenians, using methods that would later find fame in the corridors of Auschwitz. Women and children were sent on long death marches into the Syrian Desert without food, water, or shelter. Others were taken to camps and worked to death, while even more were executed and dumped in mass graves. Most horrific of all, though, was the Turkish penchant for using smoke-filled caves as a primitive form of gas chamber. The effect of these policies was instantaneous and depressing: from two million in 1914, the Armenian population dropped to just 400,000 by 1922.

It was, by any imaginable definition, genocide, but despite all this, the federal government has never explicitly recognized it as such. The Turkish government, meanwhile, claims it was an unfortunate side effect of World War I—a bit like if Germany claimed the Holocaust was a “misunderstanding.” And if there’s one thing we should never willingly allow our leaders to do, it’s downplay a tragedy of this scale.

Contd......III

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-5-16 07:10:59 |Display all floors
You talk about Stalin and Hitler,and i think what we do not realize is that if  the USA and the UK and all the nations that won the second world war  were to in fact to lose this war then the  winners  "the Germans" or "the Japannese" would hold their own War Trials  and people like Mr Churchill would have been tried and been executed as War Criminals.  I am not for any minute suggesting Mr Churchill is a war criminal,but, what i am saying is the the winner of wars is in control of the  so called  "War Trials" and the losing leaders of  all major wars is normally tried as a  "War Criminal".  It is only a point that i wish to raise.   Thank god  the USA and all its allies won the war.  The history books would have shown the USA including Australia "my country" as the bad guys, as the Germans and the Japanese would have made sure  that was the case.  Well lets face it  do the Japanese students studying History of the last century, get to read what in actual fact happened? I have a feeling the Japanese have reinvented their school History books to  have  the bad things ""deleted".  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-5-16 07:11:20 |Display all floors
You talk about Stalin and Hitler,and i think what we do not realize is that if  the USA and the UK and all the nations that won the second world war  were to in fact to lose this war then the  winners  "the Germans" or "the Japannese" would hold their own War Trials  and people like Mr Churchill would have been tried and been executed as War Criminals.  I am not for any minute suggesting Mr Churchill is a war criminal,but, what i am saying is the the winner of wars is in control of the  so called  "War Trials" and the losing leaders of  all major wars is normally tried as a  "War Criminal".  It is only a point that i wish to raise.   Thank god  the USA and all its allies won the war.  The history books would have shown the USA including Australia "my country" as the bad guys, as the Germans and the Japanese would have made sure  that was the case.  Well lets face it  do the Japanese students studying History of the last century, get to read what in actual fact happened? I have a feeling the Japanese have reinvented their school History books to  have  the bad things ""deleted".  

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.