Views: 21407|Replies: 36

Does China trip change how you view the country?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-11-6 15:58:56 |Display all floors

We tend to have some stereotypes before we visit a country. But reading about and being schooled on a nation is not same as living there in person.

How much do you know about China before coming to the country? Do you feel and think differently than you did before leaving for China? How does living in China affect you and your views toward the country? And what do you think about these changes? Please share your thoughts with us.

How do you describe China in one word?

What do you think of ‘China model’?

What roles do you think CPC plays in China?

What are your expectations for China's new leadership?

We want to hear from you

China’s political reform: What lies ahead?

What role should China play in global affairs?

Use magic tools Report

Gold Medal

Post time 2012-11-6 16:19:59 |Display all floors
Nice thread.

I lived there twice. Once in the second part of the 70s (cult. rev.) and then again for several years between 2003 and 2007.

To be frank, the first experience was disgusting, somehow unreal, out of this world. Before I lived again in China during the mid part of the last decade I traveled a lot within the country. I mostly stayed in the western parts and enjoyed the Tibetan plateau but also Sichuan and Yunnan and there it was where I realized how much the view of the real China is distorted in the west just because of ideology, not because of reality. Needless to say that the difference between the mid/end 70s and  today's reality is simply overwhelming. Somebody who has not experienced this cannot really feel and cherish the difference. Present day China is a top modern nation whereas in the 70...well, ok I believe you know what I mean.  Of course there are shortcomings and problems but they are not more imminent than in other countries even though some want us to believe that China needs to implement a disaster democracy - similar to Russia..................... Let them dream.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-11-6 20:14:18 |Display all floors
i i m chinese   hahah

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-11-7 02:32:56 |Display all floors
Without a doubt, travel broadens one's mind and diversifies one's outlook on the world in general.  

I did not know what to expect about China before I visited there the first time.  My eyes were definitely opened more after that first visit.  I've never lived in China.  I've had 5 or 6 extended visits in the past 6 years and have traveled throughout the country (Not everywhere of course).

Yes, my opinion of China changed after that first visit, and is modified with each subsequent visit.  Stereotypes are for the weak minded, but yes, I had prejudices (In the academic sense) and pre-conceived notions.  Some were upheld, some demolished.  Along with this were new discoveries and enlightenment about the culture.

I don't think any non-native could ever truly know China completely.  China is coquettish in that the people divulge a lot, but only shallowly, to foreigners.

Cheers

Use magic tools Report

August's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2012-11-7 05:17:59 |Display all floors
I need to share my thoughts about China before getting to know the chinese people and what China is.
Since I was a child my father used to talk about the chinese people a lot.He also knew a lot of chinese proverbs which made me believe that China was a wise country and the chinese people were people full of wisdom and deep thought.
That was one thing in my mind.
When I grew up and as the years passed nobody talked about China in my house anymore.They had different things to talk about .China was a country too far away from us.
As an adult and a grown up person I had never thought of China and my only knowledge was the one offered to me at school.
I had no interest ofever  visiting this country..In reality I was not interested at all.I heard so many stories on tv that the chinese people are very poor ,they eat insects ,they do not use forks and spoons ,they speak a strange and very difficult language,they believe in a strange person called Budha etc.All the above discouraged me and scared me so much that visitng and getting to know China was something I would never been interested.I can say I had a negative image about the country.
I remember more that ten years ago a couple of friends announced me that they had booked a trip to China.
I got not only surprised ,I got shocked by their decision.I told them that I would never spend time and money to visit that country ever in my life.
I belonged to the ones who used to see China in full suspicion and doubt and I was so much attached to the western world.
Now I am thinking that it can't be me the one who was so negative against China.It can not be me the same person.I am thinking how I could live so many years without China in my life.
I feel ashamed for my feelings in the past but all these before getting to know the chinese people.I believe that it is the people the ones who make a country beautiful and warm.If I ever hear anything negative against China then I become really furious .I have influenced all my friends and relatives.China came late but she will stay for ever in my heart.
I really    love China,半个 中国 人

Use magic tools Report

August's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2012-11-7 05:22:03 |Display all floors
needless to say that I have visited so many times China ,I can speak chinese ,I can use chopsticks ,I can also cook some chinese dishes.Definitely I am not the same person as I used to be.
I really    love China,半个 中国 人

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-11-7 05:59:01 |Display all floors
satsu_jin Post time: 2012-11-6 16:19
Nice thread.

I lived there twice. Once in the second part of the 70s (cult. rev.) and then again f ...
Of course there are shortcomings and problems but they are not more imminent than in other countries even though some want us to believe that China needs to implement a disaster democracy - similar to Russia..................... Let them dream.

Russia is doing rather well thank you very much

Russia is not telling China what to implement, Russia don't care.

Russia is just next door friendly neighbour allied with China in fight against western imperialism SCO

dissaster is in your head only.........in Russia people have never lived better in last few hundred years.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.