Author: AmishMike

'Most Harmonious Nation'   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-12-22 21:38:51 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2012-12-22 21:30
I wish that even Chinese posters apprised themselves of relevant facts before puffing out their ch ...

I would really rather say something positive about your post but unfortunately your position is so far from reality that I cannot. Please don't take this as a personal attack but rather as helpful advice.

Sovereignty has nothing to do with whether you are a good neighbor or not. It has to do with your country's ability to self-determine its foreign policy, regardless of whether it is good policy or bad policy. It also means that your country's government is the sole legal power authorized to act within your territory AND has the military means to enforce said sovereignty.

The DPRK is able to create its own foreign policy based on what is best for its own national goals and objectives without being dominated by a larger power. An example of a breach of sovereignty would be US domination of Australian foreign policy, or US funding of terrorists in Syria to undermine the government.

I hope that you can now make informed comments based on this correct understanding of sovereignty.

Have a nice day!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-12-22 21:39:29 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Prometheus2 at 2012-12-22 21:40
HardTruth Post time: 2012-12-22 21:22
Easy there friend, no need for sarcasm. You appear to be on an anti-communist crusade instead of s ...

Sorry about my snarkiness.

"simply accepting that some people would like to live in a different kind of society to you."

North Koreans have to be forced back into North Korea by China. They do not get a choice because of the selfish policy of the CPC who want a buffer and Kim dictators who want power, which is precisely the problem. They are purely unlucky enough to be born there. There is no choice. Stop pretending there is to suit your nationalism. Accept that maybe China under Mao was wrong in supporting the kim dictators, and that the UN may have been right in helping South Korea.
I may disagree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - Voltaire

The secret of freedom lies in educating people, whereas the secret of tyranny is in keeping them
ignora

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-12-22 21:44:07 |Display all floors
lau_guan_kim Post time: 2012-12-22 21:36
Here I am demonstrating pragmatism.

If I really had to choose, and barring sectarian politics, I ...

I think you misunderstand the life of the average North Koreans. It mostly backbreaking labour, often with a gun to your back having to meet quotas, all on an empty stomach. It might me more peaceful if you were an official in the government, but how could you live with yourself?
I may disagree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - Voltaire

The secret of freedom lies in educating people, whereas the secret of tyranny is in keeping them
ignora

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-12-22 21:45:10 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked
Writer's real name is Lau Guan Kim.  lau_guan_kim is for commentary and analysis. He writes also under another alter ego jinseng. I will respond to good reasoned debate. Mudslingers shall be ignored. What I do not like are ignorance, stupidity, chauvinism and bigotry. The other party has as much right as I have until it resorts to insults and nuisance.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-12-22 21:48:02 |Display all floors
Prometheus2 Post time: 2012-12-22 21:39
Sorry about my snarkiness.

"simply accepting that some people would like to live in a different  ...

I'm glad you apologised for the snarkiness. It takes a big man to do that in this situation and I appreciate the effort.

I still think that your comment directed at me is off the mark. The only point I tried to make is that some people want to live in a different society to the one they live in currently and you shouldn't be so angry at someone for making that decision. Other people's ability or lack thereof is completely irrelevant. I am assuming you are a supporter of the forms of government practiced in places like the US so forgive me if I am wrong, so shouldn't you instead be celebrating the fact that he can make that decision rather than attacking his choice?

I don't agree with what you have said at all but I have learned over the course of many years that people are so deeply brainwashed from a young age that reasonable discourse is useless. Facts that one side brings up are dismissed as propaganda or disparaged because they aren't released by one's favored supplier of information.

To that end, I think the only useful purpose of boards like this is to simply state your position, provide whatever supporting evidence you wish to provide and simply leave it at that. Debates are pointless. People are free to come, look at what you wrote and either internalize it or discard it but any argument is pointless.

That's just my two cents though~

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-12-22 21:57:50 |Display all floors
lau_guan_kim Post time: 2012-12-22 21:45
Besides, I heard stories of starvation, but looking at the populace, I saw no sign of withered fea ...

Stunted growth is the easiest sign to look for. In contrast to the sudden famines in Africa, North Koreans have food most of the time but tiny portions doled out. You dont see the extended bellies but there are other signs. North Korea recently lowered the minimum height requirement for its military to 4 feet 6 inches and the average South Korean is three inches taller.  

"North Korea may be poor, but there is attraction and advantage that people like me missed in a First World country."

I can see where your coming from but I just think their are other countries which would be better if your after a simple existence, like Nepal or something.

"It is good for DPRK's economy as these people are not a liability."

It would be good. I can never see the regime allowing it though as it would be scared of spies, infiltration and North Koreans having contact with the outside world.

ignora

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-12-22 22:04:07 |Display all floors
HardTruth Post time: 2012-12-22 21:48
I'm glad you apologised for the snarkiness. It takes a big man to do that in this situation and I  ...

"The only point I tried to make is that some people want to live in a different society to the one they live in currently and you shouldn't be so angry at someone for making that decision."

I do not mind if he actually wants to live in North Korea. I am happy for him to choose wherever he wants to live. I suspected that he never actaully intends on living in North Korea, but that the statement is purely to add weight to his political viewpoint.

"people are so deeply brainwashed from a young age that reasonable discourse is useless. Facts that one side brings up are dismissed as propaganda or disparaged because they aren't released by one's favored supplier of information."

I tend to agree with you, but its not always the case. I have managed to make a religious person a non-believer.

ignora

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.