Chinadaily Forum

Title: My Qingming story.... [Print this page]

Author: UYA    Time: 2012-3-26 14:14:59     Title: My Qingming story....

This post was edited by UYA at 2012-3-26 14:43

My father died in 2007, in a tragic automobile accident. At that time I was in Beijing. I remember feeling “restless” that day and decided to go out (not one who would go out alone). I ended up in the Peoples Square,there is an archery tower built by the Ming. There is a museum dedicated to the history of Beijing and I saw a sign pointing upstairs to a gift shop. Not one who is big on touristy gifts, I decided to investigate. Upstairs I saw a large room with many red colored blessings left by travelers. I asked “how much for a blessing?” A girl there stated “100 rmb”, I thought to myself….”what a rip off” and I started back downstairs. But something kept on making me go back.  I did this a number of times before I decided to make a blessing. “What should I wish for?” I thought. You could make a wish for anything, wealth,love,success…etc. Of all things, I made a blessing for my family (which was not too close). Unbeknownst to me, I did this 3 hours to the minute after my father died.

The “Dream”: One month later I had a strange dream. I was sitting with my brother and my daughter, when my father sat down beside us. Being surprised, I looked at my brother to see if he sees the same thing. My brother glanced at me, I took as to ignore my father. But I couldn’t, I turned to my father and asked…”where were you”?  He smiled and stood up and walked away. I began to follow him and I remember vividly what he was wearing and even felt the mole on his back when I touched him. When I finally caught up with him, we sat and I asked…”How are you?”. He turned to me and said….”I’m not happy”. This surprised me because I thought heaven was supposed to be a great place. I asked him “why”? Then he told me it is because “the family is fighting”. Now this was true because after his death, there was a “money grab” going on in the family. I remember, I started to cry. He then turned to me and said….”don’t worry, I will always look after you”. That is when I woke up bawling.

Year later: I was in Guangzhou watching TV, when all of a sudden, the lights went out. I got up to see what was wrong . I found the fusebox tripped, so I turned it back on and went back to my show. Later it went out again, this time I wanted to investigate the cause. I found my rice cooker (less than a year old) was shorting out. I got the rice pot and started cooking it on the stove, then went back to the tube. A few minutes later….BOOM!!!!!!! I sprang up and went into the kitchen to find the thick glass cover on the rice pot exploded into a million pieces. I stood there puzzled to why this happened.Then I realized, it was the anniversary of my father’s death. The next day I burned incense and paper.

The “Grave”: On my subsequent return to Hawaii the first 2years, I visited my father’s grave. The first year I went, I ran into my second oldest brother there….strange. The second year, I ran into my first oldest brother….stranger yet. Keep in mind, if any of us came 5 min before or after,we would have missed each other and these visits were totally random and this was my only visit on each trip. Looking back, I took this as my father wanting the family to reunite.

The “Shenzhen incident”: On a winter holiday from teaching,a foreign teacher Walter and I went to Shenzhen. We went to a place called “SeaWorld” which has many restaurants. To make a long story short, we walked into a “restaurant scam”. They wanted 3,000 rmb for some drinks. Not willing to pay, I insisted on calling the police. The owner said…”no police”! I then knew we had to make a “run for it”. When the owner picked up a heavy ash tray, I made my move out of there. They then jumped me and started beating me. Walter took this opportunity to run and made it out of the door. He desperately started  looking for help. This was not an easy task, he was looking for a foreigner who could speak Chinese. He did find one relatively quickly and this man called the police and I was saved. Here is where it gets very strange……

The man Walter found, so happened to have taught at the VERY SAME SCHOOL Walter and I did (we came from Harbin and it is across the county) AND before Walter came to teach in Harbin, he emailed a teacher from that school, to get information about living there. IT WAS THE EXACT SAME TEACHER!!!!!!!!!!

Think about this. We are across the country of a 1,000,000,000+ people. What are the odds of finding a person you emailed (who you never met) in the “hour of need”?????????

This goes beyond chance, beyond coincidence. It is like hitting the lottery twice in one day.

Stranger still, this happened on my father’s birthday!

From these events, without a doubt in my mind, I believe in “life after death”. I have personally benefited from this, knowing my father IS watching over me and protecting me. I urge everyone reading this to take the time to honor the family who lived before you.

It is their life that we owe our own to.

Author: voice_cd    Time: 2012-3-26 17:11:29

Thank you for sharing the touching story of yours. May your father peace in Heaven.

I thought you were American, as you mentioned "Hawaii", Is your father buried there?

Another question is : Why were't your family close?
Author: 468259058    Time: 2012-3-26 18:42:20

May your father peace in Heaven.

I read it half on this afternoon. Now I read through it. Your words touched me a lot.
Author: UYA    Time: 2012-3-26 20:35:55

voice_cd Post time: 2012-3-26 17:11
Thank you for sharing the touching story of yours. May your father peace in Heaven.

I thought you'r ...

I'm a Chinese American. My great grand father came from Guangdong.
Yes my father is buried in Hawaii

I come from a family with 4 sons (I'm the youngest). My mother played "favorites" which did not go well in the family.

Thanks for reading my post and your concern.

Author: UYA    Time: 2012-3-26 20:39:51

Kbay Post time: 2012-3-26 18:08
Wow UYA, I thinks you is a real one in a million psychic!
Never say "I don't believe!"

I do not claim any "psychic" powers. I do keep my eyes open to the world around me.
Miracles happen everyday (if you can see them).
"Open your eyes"

Author: UYA    Time: 2012-3-26 20:47:18

468259058 Post time: 2012-3-26 18:42
May your father peace in Heaven.

I read it half on this afternoon. Now I read through it. Your word ...

Thanks for your thoughts

I hope this story reaffirms to people to honor their families. How we live our life today, reflects on how our families lived in the past.

Author: UYA    Time: 2012-3-26 20:56:29

Kbay Post time: 2012-3-26 18:48
I believe  清明節 falls on the 5th April this year.
Yes you Chinese boys and girls. Go pay respect t ...

I'm sure you white folks have ancestors too (although some in this forum may disagree). Wouldn't hurt to take some time to thank them.

Author: Carole66    Time: 2012-3-26 21:28:49

UYA Post time: 2012-3-26 20:56
I'm sure you white folks have ancestors too (although some in this forum may disagree). Wouldn't h ...

many thoughts for you sadness
Author: UYA    Time: 2012-3-26 21:41:00

Carole66 Post time: 2012-3-26 21:28
many thoughts for you sadness

Thanks for your post

These events has not made me sad.
In fact it has given me comfort to know that my father will always be with me.
I hope one day he will be proud

Author: caringhk    Time: 2012-3-28 17:14:43

u hv taken my place as QingMing writer!!!

i used to write on it past years!!!

Glad to read yr story!!!

& Buddha says reincartions is TRUE
Author: UYA    Time: 2012-3-28 18:23:56

"The Shenzhen incident" cont.......

When I made the blessing in Beijing, I got a jade medallion (something for 100 rmb), I wear this wherever I go.
In the scuffle in Shenzhen, it was ripped off my neck. After I was rescued by the police, the owner and I went to the police station. During her interview, she pointed to her little pinky and said I "hurt it". I then turned to the officer and looked at him, with my jacket torn, scratches on my face and a large bruise on my arm, to see if he notices, who got the worse of it.

I then told her that I would forget everything, IF she returned my necklace. She laughed in a mocking way at me. When I tried to explain, she cut me off and said "no speak English" (even though it was quite good when she wanted money). I told her, "Ok...no need speak, just listen" and proceeded to tell her the story of how I got it when my father died. Her eyes suddenly got big and she understood how important it was to me. She then did a "180" and agreed to return my necklace to me, with a smile.

She knew not to screw with the dead {:soso_e144:}
Author: sansukong    Time: 2012-3-29 14:59:38     Title: RE: My Qingming story....

UYA Post time: 2012-3-26 19:39
I do not claim any "psychic" powers. I do keep my eyes open to the world around me.
Miracles happe ...
Miracles happen everyday (if you can see them).
"Open your eyes"

Hi UYA,
Your story about your dream of your father and the subsequent events that followed would sound bizzare to many but I believe in every word you said. There are many things we don't understand in this world and would just brush them aside as nonsense simply because we don't understand enough to grasp the subtile "leads" that were there to tell us "something".
If you are keen to find out more, try read this book:  
Mahikari: Thank God for the Answers at Last. by Phd  A. K. Tebecis (Author)

2 of 2 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars An awe-inspiring read!, May 2, 2005
By
Charlie Pelligrano "Charlie" (Sydney, Australia) - See all my reviews

This review is from: Mahikari: Thank God for the Answers at Last (Hardcover)
This book was captivating! Since reading it i have come to find and experience the wonders and amazing influence that practising the True Light can have! I was also priviledged to meet someone whose experience appears in the book. It came as no suprise that every word of their experience was true and that they too found this light to be truly incredible. It is unlike that of other healing energies, I feel that it is truly something of a higher power. I can thoroughly recommend this book to everyone! Also you should all read his latest book 'Is the Future in Our Hands?' it is a masterpiece, i found it simple to read, yet it shed such profound light on everyday concepts such as business,

Note: Read it with an open mind. I found many answers to my many unanswered personal questions in this book. Hope it can help you too. Good luck!  {:soso_e183:}

Author: UYA    Time: 2012-3-30 00:28:55

sansukong Post time: 2012-3-29 14:59
Hi UYA,
Your story about your dream of your father and the subsequent events that followed would  ...

Thanks for your comments and recommendation of the read

I must say, I'm pleasantly surprised with the positive response from this thread.
I was waiting for the "naysayers" to claim it is fiction.

No one could make this stuff up

Author: UYA    Time: 2012-3-30 00:34:53

seneca Post time: 2012-3-28 12:34
I am quite impressed by your experience. There seems to be some preordained structure in your life.  ...

Is there an end to this story?

Author: sansukong    Time: 2012-3-30 02:09:13     Title: RE: My Qingming story....

UYA Post time: 2012-3-29 23:28
Thanks for your comments and recommendation of the read

I must say, I'm pleasantly surprised with ...
No one could make this stuff up

I know you are telling the truth. Read the book and you will understand why I believe in your story.

{:soso_e183:}

Author: UYA    Time: 2012-3-30 10:30:11

sansukong Post time: 2012-3-30 02:09
I know you are telling the truth. Read the book and you will understand why I believe in your sto ...

Thanks again.....
I will look it up

Author: UYA    Time: 2012-4-3 11:30:52

I sincerely wish everyone a "reflective" Qingming holiday
Author: caringhk    Time: 2012-4-4 02:46:58

UYA Post time: 2012-4-3 11:30
I sincerely wish everyone a "reflective" Qingming holiday

Mirror Mirror on the wall is now showing at theatres la
Author: UYA    Time: 2012-4-4 10:54:02

caringhk Post time: 2012-4-4 02:46
Mirror Mirror on the wall is now showing at theatres la

I hope you are having a nice holiday.
Best wishes to your family

Author: caringhk    Time: 2012-4-5 02:59:18

UYA Post time: 2012-4-4 10:54
I hope you are having a nice holiday.
Best wishes to your family

last month we had our best holidays in China for one month!!!

So we came back just in time for Qing Ming!!!

We have done our duty colouring the 8 tombs with 5 colors papers!!!

Cheers to all who dutifully went
Author: UYA    Time: 2012-4-5 10:59:40

caringhk Post time: 2012-4-5 02:59
last month we had our best holidays in China for one month!!!

So we came back just in time for Qi ...

Can you (or anyone) explain the "steps" to burn paper?
Last night I bought some paper and saw a man burning on the street. I then thought I would join him in burning mine. A Chinese girl told me I should make a "circle" out of paper and burn my own. The paper I burned would go to the mans family and not mine (banking procedures). I thought, if the mans family gets the money, they would "forward" it to my father.

Is the process that "regulated" in the afterlife?

Author: huaqiao    Time: 2012-4-6 00:12:37

If you draw your own circle, the "money" you burn will go to your intended person/people. There are many people doing it at the same time so the circle helps. Common logic does not apply in the spiritual realm.
Author: adolphus    Time: 2012-4-6 00:44:00

UYA Post time: 2012-4-5 10:59
Last night I bought some paper and saw a ma ...

I will not call your words a story, but rather recounting the way it happened and I want to add this to your own ideas. I was not close to my father, both in growing up and in later life after I left home, however when he was terminal I went round for a family meal and I did something that even I did not expect.

As he sat there looking frail I greeted him with a normal handshake and then kissed him on the forehead. This surprised even me. Some few hours later on leaving I thought about that and believed that I had been very strange in that action and would not do it on leaving. When I said goodbye as he sat in the chair, I did it again. I shook his hand and kissed him on the head. He died that evening after I left and I felt that for some reason those unusual actions had given me closure and I was not distressed about him going.

The odd thing was that at that time I was desperate for a change of life and had been in a rut for years. Within one week of his demise everything I wanted happened and I still have that now. No, it was not wealth but something more fulfilling, spiritual and human. Even I am surprised when I look at those ideas and maybe there is something after life. I thank you for your record of your own events, very inspiring.

Author: UYA    Time: 2012-4-6 10:10:29

adolphus Post time: 2012-4-6 00:44
I will not call your words a story, but rather recounting the way it happened and I want to add th ...

Thank you for your sharing your experience.

I was not really that close to my father too (my mother ran the house). But I did respect the man. He was a banker and helped many Chinese people get loans for a home, he was very well respected in the Chinese community. At his funeral over 200+ people came to pay their respects (and he was not very social). As he got older, I found more appreciation for him. Many of my Chinese clients knew him (we share the same name) and they ALL had nice things to say about him.

I'm glad you found the same inspiration I did in these events

Author: sansukong    Time: 2012-4-9 00:26:05     Title: RE: My Qingming story....

Chinese people commemorate martyrs onTomb-sweeping Day

(Xinhua)08:44,      April 05, 2012

A relative sweeps a name wall of martyrs at a martyr cemetery in Chongqing Municipality, southwest China, April 4, 2010, the Chinese traditional Qingming Festival, or Tomb-sweeping Day. (Xinhua/Li Jian)

Wang Wenjing (Front), a martyr relative, pays her respect at a martyr cemetery in Chongqing Municipality, southwest China, April 4, 2010, the Chinese traditional Qingming Festival, or Tomb-sweeping Day. (Xinhua/Li Jian)

A mother talks to her kid in front of a name wall of martyrs at a martyr cemetery in Harbin, capital of northeast China's Heilongjiang Province, April 4, 2010, the Chinese traditional Qingming Festival, or Tomb-sweeping Day. (Xinhua/Wang Jianwei)

Students pay respect to General Zhu Rui in front of his tomb in Harbin, capital of northeast China's Heilongjiang Province, April 4, 2010, the Chinese traditional Qingming Festival, or Tomb-sweeping Day. (Xinhua/Wang Jianwei)

Author: sansukong    Time: 2012-4-9 11:50:37

Illegal tombs occupy ancient prince mausoleum

2012-4-4  |     ONLINE EDITION

A stone sculpture of an ancient Chinese scholar at the site of the ancient Mausoleum of Prince Jingjiang at the foot of Yao Mountain in southern China Guilin City overlooks on the endless rolls of illegal tombs yesterday prior the Qingming Festival, the tomb sweeping day, China's traditional festival of remembering the dead, which falls today this year. Local people have illegally built a total of 60,000 tombs in the past decade inside the mausoleum site, occupying one fourth of the area and seriously damaging its environment. The mausoleum dated back to the 14th Century in Ming Dynasty is a royal burial ground where 11 princes, their princesses and generals of the Ming Dynasty imperial troops were buried. Covering more than 8 square kilometers, it is under the State protection decree for highly treasured historical relics.

Author: UYA    Time: 2012-4-10 12:25:49

huaqiao Post time: 2012-4-6 00:12
If you draw your own circle, the "money" you burn will go to your intended person/people. There are  ...

Thanks for the "procedures". I will remember that next year.

Author: caringhk    Time: 2012-4-12 17:22:44

UYA Post time: 2012-4-5 10:59
Last night I bought some paper and saw a ma ...

I thought burning joss papers on the street is when one of his family members or himself is sick!!! We do that here to ward off the evil sickness!!!

At the tomb, 1st arrange the candles, joss sticks, joss papers, tea,fruits or foods at the Earth God altar!!!
After light up the candles!!! Light up the joss sticks & says your prayers. At the end offer the tea & fruits to the Earth God!!! After 1/2 hour or so, you can burn the joss papers as offerings...

After that proceed similar steps to your beloved deceased.......

Drawing a circle is something new to me!!! If we offer a box of glod,paper money,etc......we will write deceased name on a piece of yellow paper with the date & stick to the box. The deceased willl surely receive them in the afterworld

Author: UYA    Time: 2012-4-12 23:49:38

caringhk Post time: 2012-4-12 17:22
I thought burning joss papers on the street is when one of his family members or himself is sick!! ...

I saw many people burning paper that night.
Did not there is so many rules.

Should of used a ATM

Author: caringhk    Time: 2012-4-15 02:56:07

UYA Post time: 2012-4-12 23:49
I saw many people burning paper that night.
Did not there is so many rules.

I give U my ATM acct if the papers are REAL CASH
Author: UYA    Time: 2013-4-2 16:11:06

Wanted to restart this post for this holiday.

My best wishes to everyone here and to your family....
here and in the past.

Author: UYA    Time: 2013-4-2 16:39:06

Kbay Post time: 2013-4-2 16:35
I remember when I was very young, Dad and the extended family went grave-sweeping my great-great gra ...

I always wanted to locate my family in Dong guan.
but don't know how to do this.

anyone with ideas?
Author: UYA    Time: 2013-4-2 16:40:14

Kbay Post time: 2013-4-2 16:35
I remember when I was very young, Dad and the extended family went grave-sweeping my great-great gra ...

It is the thought that counts

Author: UYA    Time: 2013-4-4 09:11:36

Have a great Qing Ming to everyone here.
Burn paper....
Have a big meal....
and respect and honor those who are not with us.
Author: snappysammy    Time: 2013-4-4 09:14:30

We light a candle...
Author: UYA    Time: 2013-4-4 09:22:39

snappysammy Post time: 2013-4-4 09:14
We light a candle...

I'm surprised the Don believes in such things.

Please accept my blessings to your family
(give your thugs a holiday).

Author: snappysammy    Time: 2013-4-4 09:24:05

UYA Post time: 2013-4-4 09:22
I'm surprised the Don believes in such things.

Please accept my blessings to your family

this Don is Jewish
Author: UYA    Time: 2013-4-4 09:32:02     Title: o

This post was edited by UYA at 2013-4-4 09:32
snappysammy Post time: 2013-4-4 09:24
this Don is Jewish

hehe....
somehow I have trouble picturing this

Does the Don have any idea how to find someone in China?
Back in the States one could hire someone and there is public record.
In China.......
no one

Author: snappysammy    Time: 2013-4-4 09:38:30

I just want to wet my beak.....

Welcome Chinadaily Forum (http://bbs.chinadaily.com.cn/) Powered by Discuz! X2