Chinadaily Forum

Title: Jeremy Lin, Yao Ming & racism in the NBA [Print this page]

Author: lihanwen    Time: 2012-2-21 16:07:18     Title: Jeremy Lin, Yao Ming & racism in the NBA

This post was edited by lihanwen at 2012-2-21 16:09

The front cover of the Asian edition of Time Magazine saidit all. While the US,European and South Pacific edition cover stories were dominated to the ascentof Kim Jong-un. The entire front page in Asia was all about meteoric rise of NBA's latest basketball star Jeremy Lin.

Lin-sanity, Lin-mania, Lin-derella, Lin-credible, SuperLin-tendo, Linner, Linning Streak. Call it what you like, but please, enoughalready.

I can see how the fairy-tale of the Harvard-educated Chinese-American'sphenomenal rise in basketball has left some US headline writers andsportscasters punch-drunk on the endless sludge of neologisms, but please stop.

However, what is more odious is how a sensational rise tostardom that could challenge stereotypes and prejudice has already turned afeel-good story into a racial issue.

Within days of the New York Knicks sixth victory in a row,Sports Network ESPN was forced to apologize, fired one employee and suspendedanother after an ethnic slur directed at Lin was broadcast on air.

Another Sports columnist Jason Whitlock from FOX alsoapologized for an inappropriate tweet following the Lakers and Knicks game.

While some have realized the error of their prejudicialways, others have been less apologetic.

American boxer Floyd Mayweather posted on Twitter:"Jeremy Lin is a good player but all the hype is because he's Asian. Blackplayers do what he does every night and don't get the same praise."

Lin's sensational success has reawakened the American dreamfor many Chinese-Americans, but it also, once again, unearthed thepervasiveness of race in the US.

The famous Saturday Night Live comedy show opened theirlatest show with a skit on New York Knicks breakout star. The actors made Asianstereotypes, came up with puns using the star guard's last name and talkedabout the recent mishaps in the media. Let's hope the US media getsthe joke is on them.

And the 1.91m tall economics graduate could also learn alesson from the Ming Dynasty: Yao Ming.

When the retired eight-time NBA all-star first arrived inthe USin 2002 he faced taunts and ethnic slurs.

Ben Wallace a former Detroit Piston player said of the then21-year-old Yao that he would receive a rudewelcome the first time China'snational team played the United  States in August 2002.

"We are going to beat him up. We are going to beat himup pretty bad," Wallace said. "Welcome to the league, welcome to ourcountry. This is our playground."

Former Los Angeles Laker Shaquille O'Neal once mockinglytold a television reporter, "Tell YaoMing, ‘ching-chong-yang-wah-ah-soh'."

But it didn't stop his rise to fame and rightfully earnedhim a place in the hearts of Chinese fans everywhere.

And the recent uproar does not seem to have fazed23-year-old Lin who accepted the network's apology and had no hard feelings.

"I think there are definitely [Asian] stereotypes,"he said. There are a lot of them. The more we can do to break those down everyday the better we will become.

"Hopefully in the near future we will see a lot moreAsians and Asian-Americans playing in the NBA."

His words offer hope to many as a sign he is intelligent andtough enough to deal with life in the media spotlight.

But it is also been a warning to lazy sports pundits andthose creating the media frenzy around the latest star of the game to back offand think twice.

Lin maybe enjoying his new limelight, but for some membersof his family back in Taiwan,his new-found attention has become something of a burden.

"The special request I have is for the media back in Taiwan to givemy family space, because they can't even go to work without being bombarded,without people following them," Lin said, adding "I want people torespect their privacy."

The cost of his own privacy will need to be measured againsthis desire to succeed in a world where sporting success is idolized intenselyand rarely without controversy.http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/sports/2012-02/21/content_14659686.htm

Author: cestmoi    Time: 2012-2-22 00:35:34

This post was edited by cestmoi at 2012-2-22 00:37

After three years in your blessed country, it still surprises me that your black USAnians are more overtly racist that their Caucasian counterparts, more prone to malice too. I might have said this in another person's thread, but after the Nicks tossed Dallas, blacks challenged me to a fight at a gas station with their odd kungfu moves and even odder imitation chink-chang-chung Chinese. Maybe he was just mocking, or maybe that is ebonic humor.

Sports like NBA has a global audience and two people have shown extraordinary bad forms: the mainland Chinese when they hosted the Georgetown Hojas and now USAnians at NBA level. I am even more surprised that a sportsman of the calibre of Shaquille O'Neal made disparaging racist comments, he should have known better, I was hoping people like O'Neal would take a leadership role. I have certainly hoped for better behaviour from black USAnians given their history.

Sports is supposed to bring people together. Sports is about fair competition. What I am seeing is resentment, jealousy, racism leading to aggression and the overall impression I have is... petty mindedness.
Author: cestmoi    Time: 2012-2-22 06:04:46

up
Author: cestmoi    Time: 2012-2-23 15:59:00

cestmoi Post time: 2012-2-22 06:04
up

Up
Author: JFenix    Time: 2012-2-23 19:42:33

cestmoi Post time: 2012-2-22 00:35
After three years in your blessed country, it still surprises me that your black USAnians are more o ...

Well blacks have dominated the NBA.  It's to the point that when a white guy or chinese can play as equals - we exalt them as superstars.  I remember when Larry Bird was hot and all the comments/ notoriety he received merely for being a white guy in game so dominated by blacks.

Author: cestmoi    Time: 2012-2-24 06:28:05

You'd think they would want to develop an inclusive culture, given their history.

Attachment: NewYorkKNICKS.jpg (2012-2-24 06:27:45, 41.28 KB) / Downloads 71
http://bbs.chinadaily.com.cn/forum.php?mod=attachment&aid=MjI1MzA5fDVlY2U4MTRifDE1MDA1ODk1Nzd8MHww
Author: Revolutionar    Time: 2012-2-24 08:55:47

Linsanity, a great story, a positive story all round. A story  Chinese dreams about and this lihanwen can turn this into a racist story, a negative story, a hate story.

some people are just incorrigible.
Author: Revolutionar    Time: 2012-2-24 12:18:31

Pirate89 Post time: 2012-2-24 10:01
You are right ---- the blacks are the most racist in the US fuking A.  It is becaue their heads are ...

showing your colors again, pirate head?

what bad luck this forum to have a pirate head.
Author: msrong    Time: 2012-2-24 13:52:46

Revolutionar Post time: 2012-2-24 08:55
Linsanity, a great story, a positive story all round. A story  Chinese dreams about and this lihanwe ...

The racist angle about Lin-mania has also been brought up  in the American media.

In your mind, 'chink in the armor' is probably not considered offensive.
Author: robert237    Time: 2012-2-24 14:01:58

This post was edited by robert237 at 2012-2-23 22:05
JFenix Post time: 2012-2-23 03:42
Well blacks have dominated the NBA.  It's to the point that when a white guy or chinese can play a ...

I see your point and agree that it's a big deal when someone other than an black guy dominates in this sport
even for a few games.
There weren't many really dominate black golfers until Tiger Wood.
Imagine the uproar if, after Tiger had won a few tournaments in a row, a magazine showed
a picture of him using a stick of okra to tap in a hushpuppy. You would have riots in the streets.
So there's nothing wrong with people getting upset with some of the stuff published in the last week,
like him springing from a broken fortune cookie.

Author: knight778    Time: 2012-2-24 18:24:50

No matter how well u play in the NBA, FACE IT, they know u r good player, yes.... they know u r chinese, u deny.,,,  u say u have been a US citizen once u r born.... ok... then u r american instead of chinese...... BUT,,,, they know u r like chinese people.... every inch of ur body is made of china and looks like so...... indeed, u r a physically CHINESE with a usa nationality.... they dont buy it....and u come to china for help.... SORRY... u r not chinese citizen anymore..NONONO.....  WHO ARE YOU?
Author: Revolutionar    Time: 2012-2-24 21:35:02

Pirate89 Post time: 2012-2-24 21:28
It is because my experiences with the American blacks and others.  Then I came to the conclusion t ...

you have no inferior complex but you have KKK genes.
Author: JFenix    Time: 2012-2-24 21:36:50

robert237 Post time: 2012-2-24 14:01
I see your point and agree that it's a big deal when someone other than an black guy dominates in t ...

This is nothing compared to the racism shown to native americans in our sports teams.

Imagine if there was a sports team called the alabama niggers and fans would put on wigs and black face and beat drums.

But that is allowed and accepted behavior towards the native americans.

Author: JFenix    Time: 2012-2-24 21:42:06

This post was edited by JFenix at 2012-2-24 21:44

Imagine if there was a sports team called the california chinks?

Would that be more or less offensive than the washington redskins?
Author: Revolutionar    Time: 2012-2-24 21:53:47

Pirate89 Post time: 2012-2-24 21:48
My KKK genes want to detroy the US fuking A, the Jews, the Christianity, Christians, the POPe, the ...

look at your statement again, pirate head. It does not jive with # 21

-----------You are right ---- the blacks are the most racist in the US fuking A.  It is becaue their heads are too small, or inferior complex???????---------------------

you know what you are, pirate head?

simple truth is,  you are just a lowly common pirate.
Author: Revolutionar    Time: 2012-2-24 22:25:08

Pirate89 Post time: 2012-2-24 22:18
No. I am not racist at all.  It is because I am very open-minded.  But I would like to compare and ...

swell,

you hate blacks and Jews, whites, Christians, USA, Pope, Anglos, Nato...............Japs? Indians? Africans?

, you also hate Libyan revolutionaries, Syrian revolutionaries

it is a miracle you are not a ball of nervous wreck.
Author: cestmoi    Time: 2012-2-25 04:40:52

Pirate89 Post time: 2012-2-24 10:01
You are right ---- the blacks are the most racist in the US fuking A.  It is becaue their heads are ...

Please do not put words into my mouth.

Those are your personal, racist opinions and there is no common ground between us based on the language you have chosen to use here.
Author: cestmoi    Time: 2012-2-25 04:43:58

This post was edited by cestmoi at 2012-2-25 04:44
seneca Post time: 2012-2-24 21:24
I have to say you don't sound like an anti-race war pacifist, either. Other people's racism seems  ...

Yao Ming has the qualities that make an exemplary sportsperson an inter-cultural bridge-builder.

That's the right attitude.
Author: JFenix    Time: 2012-2-25 05:29:16

JFenix Post time: 2012-2-24 21:42
Imagine if there was a sports team called the california chinks?

Would that be more or less offensi ...

Join the team cestmoi?

Having a team called 'the redskins' and using those headdresses is offensive.  Much more than 'chink'.

Author: cestmoi    Time: 2012-2-25 06:31:25     Title: House of Glass...

This post was edited by cestmoi at 2012-2-25 06:32
JFenix Post time: 2012-2-25 05:29
Join the team cestmoi?

Having a team called 'the redskins' and using those headdresses is offensi ...

Hey Jinnex, I have been through it all before, again and again, hell I was at the receiving end of it on several occasions down in NC. After a while one develops a very thick skin.

Yes, I read and hear about the "Redskin" often enough, and how it is culturally insensitive. I cannot judge, I am not in a position to take side, but this I have to say, that I do not think it is meant to be derogative or belittling to Amero-Indians.

Perhaps we need to look closely at the intend rather than just the pro-forma. Again do not misconstrue that as taking side.
Author: cestmoi    Time: 2012-2-25 06:41:18

Thing is, basketball is one of the few USAnian sport I can enjoy. I am too set in my ways, I watch AFL and barrack for the Pies and then I watch cricket and after that, tennis. So I was a bit annoyed by the black American attitude, especially coming from some of the "Greats" like O'Neal.

C'est la vie...

It's almost 6, I need a drink, I wonder what those Virginian Cab Franc are like, maybe try a Blenheim Syrah
Author: rvcrane    Time: 2012-2-25 07:45:27

A lot of hatred here. A shame. I am thinking that it is like child abuse. Most child abusers were abused themselves when they were children.  Some blacks are racists, having suffered racial abuse themselves. Blacks came into my neighborhood and sufferred racial abuse. Then Asians came into the neighborhood, and now the biggest abusers of Asians are the blacks.  If you have been abused, it is not an excuse to abuse others. It must stop!
Author: rvcrane    Time: 2012-2-25 07:48:32

This post was edited by rvcrane at 2012-2-24 18:49
Pirate89 Post time: 2012-2-24 08:44
Go fuke yourself --- old biatch!!!
Fix your fuking teeths --- boy!!!

What happened to you to feel this way? Were you racially abused? Now you feel you have to return the abuse? That makes you no better than those who abused you.
Author: magnetic1974    Time: 2012-2-25 09:24:00

Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked
Author: cestmoi    Time: 2012-2-25 09:24:43     Title: What happened to Pirate?

This post was edited by cestmoi at 2012-2-25 09:28

Pirate, what makes you so angry?

Tell me, I understand, I cannot imagine anything "whites" can dish out that I have not been at the receiving end before.

And you know what? If you are Chinese, then it is 50% your fault. Why? Chinese are weak and Chinese will often collude with whites to backstab Chinese.

Tell Cestmoi.

Author: robert237    Time: 2012-2-25 11:08:27

JFenix Post time: 2012-2-24 05:36
This is nothing compared to the racism shown to native americans in our sports teams.

Imagine if  ...

I agree with you on this one.
My team is the KC Chiefs. But I never gave it much thought.
Indians (native Americans) were so belittled in our educational system that they seem more like
cartoon characters than real people. It's one of America's dirty little (not really so secret) secrets.
If we ignore it long enough maybe it will just go away.
Author: cestmoi    Time: 2012-2-26 09:14:09

seneca Post time: 2012-2-25 11:16
Cestmoi:

Words can hurt and words can heal.
Words can start a fight and words can make peace.
Words can anger and words can soothe.
Words can make a difference.

There are those amongst us who are "wordsmith", good at crafting exactly the right phrase with the right words. A journalist or reporter is one of those who is em
mnently qualified to turn a phrase. A journalist at ESPN, no less.
Yes I would say he knew exactly what he was doing.
Author: cestmoi    Time: 2012-2-26 09:14:29

Cestmoi:

There are those amongst us who are "wordsmith", good at crafting exactly the right phrase with the right words. A journalist or reporter is one of those who is em
Author: cestmoi    Time: 2012-2-26 09:14:46

Cestmoi:

Author: cestmoi    Time: 2012-2-26 09:23:17

Sorry about the triplicate posting

Author: scrotymcbugerba    Time: 2012-2-26 23:11:45

rvcrane Post time: 2012-2-25 07:45
A lot of hatred here. A shame. I am thinking that it is like child abuse. Most child abusers were ab ...

i think it might be xenophobia witch is instilled in humans biologicly i think? for a reason .it was a good trait to pass on the mistrust of people and ideas different than ourselves has served human kind well untill it does not when will that be?
Author: Revolutionar    Time: 2012-2-27 00:56:03

In America they sacked the guy who wrote " chink in the armour"

In China " gweilo" , " gweichai",  " harkgwei" are all par for the course.

I still don't it.
Author: canada_man    Time: 2012-2-27 16:12:37

pever will get a piece of jerenimy

Author: lihanwen    Time: 2012-2-28 16:17:09

cestmoi Post time: 2012-2-26 09:14
Words can ang ...

I think the ESPN journalist knew exactly what he was doing, but his attempt to be clever backfired.

Welcome Chinadaily Forum (http://bbs.chinadaily.com.cn/) Powered by Discuz! X2