Views: 12871|Replies: 47

Can China catch up on military technologies?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2012-1-10 14:01:52 |Display all floors
The year is 2010!

China has become the world's no.2 biggest economic power.
It's per capita income is only 1/10 of the front runner, the United States.
It's actually No. 3 if the British Club states restated as a single state.

One of the SYMBOL of a pinnacle state is it's TECHNOLOGICAL prowess!
With increasing economic might, China possess the funding to reduce the technological gap versus the globe's leaders?

These thread is for you to discuss such matters!

cheerios!

Green DRagon
Game Grandmaster
Enjoying Retirement Chats

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-10 16:11:41 |Display all floors
A question of time and policies . Can it ? of course. Will it? Time will tell.  

But in the end military tech is the least useful for our daily lives. Americas success was its civilian inventions.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-11 02:58:24 |Display all floors
I think the question is more one of: Can China technically render others' military technology obsolete and not one which asks [if China can catch up with it].  I mean as an old arm chair geezer ( far from arm-chaired yet of course ), i tend to use my head -- i put myself in the position or the situation of decision makers who get confronted with problems daily basis and I ask myself this question: how best can I null the threat that is directed towards us??? Catching up of course makes no sense because it's time consuming enormous on our bottom line. What then? Answer: technology designed specifically to render the most advanced of technology of a competitor obsolete and stock up on it. The DF-21D, the J-20, the Dark Sword UCAV, I dare say that even the Varyag is proof of this state of the arts technology.
Putin's a killer. This was the claim made by Fox News journalist; Bill O'Reilly during his recent interview with Donald Trump. Trump's reply came in the form of a simple question. What, you think our country's so innocent?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-11 04:11:10 |Display all floors
China cannot even build a high speed train...what sort of jingoistic debate is being purported? Catch or will never happen and counter US might will never happen too.......

Example? Old Ex Soviet ship was just revived as challenge to US sea might....

technological warfare? I am not going to cheapen debate by citing all US software companies

so @edisonone, China cannot counter nor render other's military capabilities obsolete.....Military planners observed the unwawareness of the chopper thatw as used to fade Bin Laden. You can counter what you know but not what you don't know and can only know when it is unleashed on you read too late. To quote Rumsfeld.there are known unknowns
No, I live above Sunset Plaza, it's a little house I rent and it's a little rundown but has a beautiful view, what about you?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-11 05:04:41 |Display all floors
tec is easy to find and devolop, the basic laws of phycis math and sciance are universal, all that is missing is need and desire. and wealth, and that is the limiting factor . US had massive wealth and resorses *(even had a bit of help from a few german sciantists) china will catch up and if it wants will pass US China can and will prouduce its own tec and advanced wepons.and will not need to beg steal or borrow from any one else. ps the british did invent  a few things too

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-11 08:53:09 |Display all floors
Bandito Post time: 2012-1-10 12:11
China cannot even build a high speed train...what sort of jingoistic debate is being purported? Catc ...
China cannot even build a high speed train...

What make you make such a irresponsible statement? She has the most mileage in the field of any country in the world and many of the trains are built, even designed by Chinese companies. Is it because of the accidents? If so, if you compare things mile per mile, it is no different from the accident which had occured in other countries train wise.

what sort of jingoistic debate is being purported?

you are not only in disagreement with my perception of things. you are bitter about what i said. that is understandable of course. but, the truth is the truth. catching up with the west who has a good 200 years lead on the Chinese is going to be mighty difficult if not impossible. hence technology like the J-20, which based on itscontour and configuration is darth vader stuff. then theres the df-21d, how in the hell are you going to stop something that terminates at you @mach-12? yes, mach-12 just to mention 2 things that we know for a fact.

Catch or will never happen and counter US might will never happen too.......

god knows that the mighty ussr had tried and all they can do is use numerical advamtage as a leverage. it failed because of the reagan administration's strategy -- bluff -- starwars that is -- which is all a game of russian roulette with blanks in revolver.  

Example? Old Ex Soviet ship was just revived as challenge to US sea might....

Until they put up an invitation for the military brasses of other countries to have a first eye look at it, i would not make such an western media pumped sorry assed assumption. you and i don't know what's in it. words in the chinese street however is that it's appointed with the latest of appointments -- deadly that is.

also, one don't built a warship simply for the joy of owning one. in times of peace, yes, the chinese will stick by what they say and use it as a training vessel. but, my hypothesis is that more than just a training vessel, covertly, it will double as a vessel for r&d purposes and that it will be assigned as part of the south china sea fleet and that will enter combat if hostility breaks. it might be an old hunk when the soviets gave it to us, but after more than ten years at it, it's a totally different boat altogether.

technological warfare? I am not going to cheapen debate by citing all US software companies

drones? smart bombs? satellite guided munitions? emp? laser technology? space as the next frontier? the chinese are not stupid you know.

China cannot counter nor render other's military capabilities obsolete.....

she will have to make break "the technological monopolistic strangle hold of death strategy that the west have on her otherwise no way in hell is she going to match the american military machinery dollar for dollar. doing so will mean that china is following in the footsteps of the old ussr and eventualyl meet the same fate.  centering on technology that neutralizes your opponents technology is the only way to survive for china. her scientists and engineers can muster that technology and the country can budget it into its expenditures.

Military planners observed the unwawareness of the chopper thatw as used to fade Bin Laden.

You must be of the school which says we chinese steal, reverse engineered, copied, bought, the west's technology. well... burying your head in the sand ain't gonna reverse the course of how things are with the chinese.  they've been pushed, by circumstances beyond their comprehension and that forced them into bring the best out of them and that is what you are seeing today -- the best of china with more surprises in the pipeline to come.

Putin's a killer. This was the claim made by Fox News journalist; Bill O'Reilly during his recent interview with Donald Trump. Trump's reply came in the form of a simple question. What, you think our country's so innocent?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2012-1-11 09:16:19 |Display all floors
Of course China can do it, I hope it does soon.
There are many areas in need of advancement, it's not just about weapons, though with the existence of the USA weapons are much more necessary.
I'm a little bit wrong and your a little bit right.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.