Views: 76635|Replies: 61

You're not qualified to judge China because you can't speak Chinese?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2011-11-24 13:24:20 |Display all floors
This post was edited by DanseMacabre at 2011-11-24 14:22

"If you can't speak Chinese, you are not qualified (or at least fully qualified) to pass judgements on China".

It is a common argument held among expats living in China. While I tend to agree -- that's why I'm learning Chinese, sometimes you can't help but think "Heck, even if I don't speak the language of a certain place, I am still able to make observations and judgements on it." Alexis de Tocqueville is undoubtedly a case in point.

What is more strange is that fact that Chinese generally don't care if a foreigner can speak their language or not, they just like to hear stories told by outsiders. (Although if a foreigner do speak Chinese, it lends an immediate familarity and a certain degree of credibility)

Anyway, the point is, I do believe language is an important aspect when it comes to "judging" a certain country, though it is not that important.
We are all prisoners of our own device.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-11-24 15:54:32 |Display all floors
if the judgement bases on the fact, it is fine, no matter you speak CHinese or not.
LISTEN  TO  YOUR  HEART

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-11-24 16:07:22 |Display all floors
greatlady Post time: 2011-11-24 15:54
if the judgement bases on the fact, it is fine, no matter you speak CHinese or not.

Problem is you always have to interpret the facts to come up with any opinion. When you do so, facts are simply not facts any more. That's why some argue that "if you want to judge China, speak its language", because it lends credibility as I said.
We are all prisoners of our own device.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-11-27 13:56:59 |Display all floors
你想让全世界的人都说中文么?

然后才能张口说事?
LISTEN  TO  YOUR  HEART

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-11-27 13:58:04 |Display all floors
DanseMacabre Post time: 2011-11-24 16:07
Problem is you always have to interpret the facts to come up with any opinion. When you do so, fac ...

那么,不说中文的人说的那些人,那些事都是谎言了?

呵呵,真有你的。。。
LISTEN  TO  YOUR  HEART

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-11-27 13:59:01 |Display all floors
你真的是中国人么?

中国人有那么愚才的人么?
LISTEN  TO  YOUR  HEART

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2011-12-17 09:21:10 |Display all floors
You people do understand there is a subject called anthropology, right? First of all, the rubbish you ask is not even a correctly worded question. "You're not qualified to judge China because you can't speak Chinese?" It should ask, "Are you qualified to judge China if you can not speak Chinese?" Secondly, the premise of this question is implicit that it is not possible to understand people without having a mastery of their language and this premise is also incorrect. If a large man beats a small woman without reason, I can judge accurately that this man is a bad person. I do not need to know what language he speaks. Finally, go to college and take anthropology and psychology and you will indeed learn that you can study history and behavior of a cultural without speaking the language. Your actions speak for you. Many people's actions speak for them. Language is over-rated when considering it for a tool to interpret a culture. Just watch the behavior of the culture, it will tell you everything you need to know.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.