Author: changabula

Black Inventors [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-6-2 09:06:44 |Display all floors

Reply #47 changabula's post

I commend you in your knowledge of the black race and there accomplishments , I'm a boxing fan and i am knowledgeable about boxing history , your comments on jack Johnson are factually correct . What puzzles me is your racism of the western white race , would you if you dare comment on, what the white race has invented and accomplished ? I know what the white race has accomplished  as far as inventions and other accomplishments , but will you enlighten the readers of this forum on the numerous accomplishments of the western white race ?
please do or i will have to do it for you , i will give you the first shot .

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-6-3 00:22:10 |Display all floors
We live in a white western 'age' currently. Sometimes certain forumites deserve to hear what others have accomplished.
"Finch...stay away from that Ficus! That's a jizz-free Ficus."- Steve Stiffler

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-6-3 00:51:59 |Display all floors
Originally posted by tekvicious at 2007-6-3 00:22
We live in a white western 'age' currently. Sometimes certain forumites deserve to hear what others have accomplished.

True

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-6-3 02:25:28 |Display all floors

Reply #49 changabula's post

Having integrated the church with boys and girls and men and women seated on either side of the isle they invented a machine that could put curl in straight hair and thus they were on the way to big forced integration.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-6-3 20:25:54 |Display all floors
Originally posted by frothow at 2007-6-2 09:06
I commend you in your knowledge of the black race and there accomplishments , I'm a boxing fan and i am knowledgeable about boxing history , your comments on jack Johnson are factually correct . Wh ...

My Black brothers are under represented.
Do you want to deny them and us a chance to learn more about them?
I don't want to get in a flaming war on this thread as its a serious one.
I cannot stop you posting your views, either in a positive or a negative light.

I would like to do a thread on India's achievements, similar to this one.

[ Last edited by changabula at 2007-6-4 01:14 AM ]
I am Chinese and Proud of it!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-6-3 20:28:26 |Display all floors
Percy Julian
(Forgoten Genius)
Against all odds, Percy Julian became one of the greatest scientists of the 20th century.

See the documentary: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/julian/

Percy Julian was born on April 11, 1899 in Birmingham, Alabama, one of six children. His father, a railroad mail clerk, and his mother, a school teacher stressed education to their children. This emphasis would ultimately prove successful as two sons went on to become physicians and three daughters would receive Masters degrees, but it was son Percy who would become the most successful of the children.

Percy attended elementary school in Birmingham and moved on to Montgomery, Alabama where he attended high school at the State Normal School for Negroes. Upon graduation in 1916, Julian applied to and was accepted into DePauw University in Greencastle, Indiana. At DePauw, he began as a probationary student, having to take higher level high school classes along with his freshman and sophomore course load. He proved himself well, going on to be named a member of the Sigma Xi honorary society as well as a Phi Beta Kappa member. Finally, upon graduation from DePauw in 1920, he was selected as the class valedictorian. Though at the top of his classed, he was discouraged from seeking admission into a graduate school because of potential racial sentiment on the part of future coworkers and employers. Instead, he took the advice of an advisor and took a position as a chemistry teacher at Fisk University, a Black college in Nashville, Tennessee.

After two years at Fisk, Julian was awarded the Austin Fellowship in Chemistry and moved to the distinguished Harvard University in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Finally given an opportunity at graduate level work, Julian excelled. He achieved straight A's, finishing at the top of his class and receiving a Masters Degree in 1923. Even with this success, Julian was unable to obtain a position as a teaching assistant at any major universities because of the perception that White students would refuse to learn under a Black instructor. Thus, he moved on to a teaching position at West Virginia State College for Negroes, though he would not find happiness in this situation. He left West Virginia and served as an associate professor of chemistry at Howard University in Washington, D.C. for two years.

In 1929, Julian qualified for and received a Fellowship from the General Education Board and traveled to Vienna, Austria in pursuit of a Ph.D. degree. While in Vienna, Julian developed a fascination with the soybean and its interesting properties and capabilities. Focusing on organic chemistry, Julian received his Ph.D. in 1931 and returned to the United States and to for a while to Howard University as the head of the school's chemistry department. He soon left Howard and moved back to DePauw where he was appointed a teacher in organic chemistry. At DePauw, he worked with an associate of his from Vienna, Dr. Josef Pikl, on the synthesis of physostigmine, a drug which was used as a treatment for glaucoma. After much work and adversity, Julian was successful and became internationally hailed for his achievement. At this point the Dean of the University sought to appoint Julian to the position as Chair of the chemistry department but was talked out of it by others in the department, again because of concerns over reaction to his race.

In late 1935, Percy Julian decided to leave the world of academics and entered the corporate world by accepting a position with the Glidden Company as chief chemist and the Director of the Soya Product Division. This was a significant development as he was the first Black scientist hired for such a position and would pave the way for other Blacks in the future. The Glidden Company was a leading manufacturer of paint and varnish and was counting on Julian to develop compounds from soy-based products which could be used to make paints and other products. Julian did not disappoint, coming up with products such as aero-foam which worked as a flame retardant and was used by the United States Navy and saved the lives of countless sailors during World War II.

On December 24, 1935, Percy married Anna Johnson and the company settled into their comfortable life in Chicago. Percy continued his success as he next developed a way to inexpensively develop male and female hormones from soy beans. These hormones would help to prevent miscarriages in pregnant women and would be used to fight cancer and other ailments. He next set out to provide a synthetic version of cortisone, a product which greatly relieved the pain of suffered by sufferers of rheumatoid arthritis. The real cortisone was extremely expensive and only rich people could afford it. With Julians discovery of the soy-based substitute, millions of sufferers around the world found relief at a reasonable price. So significant was his work that in 1950 the City of Chicago named him Chicagoan of the Year. While the honor should have signaled Julian's acceptance by his white counterparts in his field and his community, but when he soon after purchased a home for his family in nearby Oak Park, the home was set afire by an arsonist on Thanksgiving day 1950. A year later, dynamite was thrown from a passing car and exploded outside the bedroom window of Percy's children. Despite the fact that many residents of the town relied upon his methods to relieve their pains of and provide for their safety, some still could not stand to have him as their neighbor simply because he was Black.

In 1954, Julian left the Glidden Company to establish Julian Laboratories which specialized in producing his synthetic cortisone. When he discovered that wild yams in Mexico were even more effective than Soya beans for some of his products, he opened the Laboratorios Julian de Mexico in Mexico City, Mexico which cultivated the yams and shipped them to Oak Park for refinement. In 1961 he sold the Oak Park plant to Smith, Kline and French, a giant pharmaceutical company and received a sum of 2.3 million dollars, a staggering amount for a Black man at that time.

After years of struggling for respect in his field and his community, Julian finally was recognized as a genius and a pioneer. He received countless award and honors including the prestigious Spingarn Medal from the NAACP and was asked to serve on numerous commissions and advisory boards.

Percy Julian died of liver cancer in 1975 and is known worldwide as a trailblazer, both in the world of chemistry and as an advocate for the plight of Black scientists.

1. http://cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2007/02/05/49153.aspx
Copy code

[ Last edited by changabula at 2007-6-4 06:15 PM ]
percyjulian1.jpg
percyjulian3.jpg

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-6-3 20:31:02 |Display all floors
Ernest Just

Ernest Just was born on August 14, 1883 in Charleston, South Carolina. His mother worked as a school teacher and his father, a dock worker died when Ernest was only four years old, forcing him to have to work in the fields after school each day. Because high schools in the south provided such poor educations at that time, Ernest's mother decided to send him north to receive better schooling. Through hard work Ernest was able to earn enough money to attend the Kimball Academy in New Hampshire. The Kimball Academy was an exclusive school and Just proved himself worthy by excelling in his classes. As editor of the school newspaper and President of the debating team, Ernest completed the four year program in only three, graduating with honors with honors as the valedictorian of his class.

In 1903, Just entered Dartmouth College and decided to become a research biologist specializing in cytology (the study of cells.) Learning under the guidance of world famous zoologist William Patten, Just excelled and received degrees in history and biology. Upon graduation in 1907, he had already been elected tot eh Phi Beta Kappa honorary fraternity, was named class valedictorian and was the only member of his class to graduate magna cum laude.

In October 1907, Ernest Just was hired by Howard University in Washington, D.C. and would eventually become the head of the biology department while heading the physiology department and serving as a member of the Medical School's faculty. With all of these responsibilities Just was still able to pursue a Ph.D. in Zoology, which he would receive in 1916 from the University of Chicago and began experimenting with the reproductive systems and cells of marine animals in the Marine Biological Laboratory in Woods Hole, Massachusetts. His research and papers on Marine biology were so well received in 1915, at age 32 Just was awarded the first Spingarn Medal by the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People.

Over the next 20 years Just would perform studies of marine animals and their eggs as well as their cell structures. He believed that in learning about healthy cells and cell structures, man could hope to understand and find cures for cellular irregularities and diseases such as sickle cell anemia and cancer. He also researched parthenogenesis (developing marine eggs without fertilization). He quickly became one of the most respected scientists in his field but much of that recognition came from abroad as racial bigotry in the United States caused much of his work and his achievements to go unrewarded.

In other countries, he was treated as a a pioneer, recruited to work with Russian scientists and invited to be a guest worker at the Kaiser Wilhelm Institute for Biology, at the time the world's greatest scientific research laboratory. He was also welcome with open arms at the Naples Zoological Station in Italy and the Sorbonne in France, where he conducted research and shared his ideas.

Ernest Just died on October 27, 1941 of Cancer, leaving behind a wife, Ethel, and three children. He also left behind a world which would eventually recognize him as the most outstanding zoologist of his time.
ernestjust1.jpg
ernestjust2.jpg

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.