Views: 16560|Replies: 5

Student burden-easing scheme gets mixed feedback [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2019-11-1 11:01:02 |Display all floors

(Global Times) East China's Zhejiang Province issued a plan for primary and middle school students, allowing them to stop doing homework after 9 pm to further reduce their burden and protect their physical and mental health.

An action plan containing 33 specific measures, including the schedule of exams and ensuring ample sleep for students, was published on the website of Zhejiang Province's education department on Monday.

Among these measures, a regulation, saying that primary school students can stop doing homework after 9 pm and middle school students can say no to homework after 10 pm, has attracted public attention.

Primary school students who do not finish their homework by 9 pm and middle school students who do not complete their homework by 10 pm can refuse to finish the remaining homework after their parents sign and confirm. And teachers cannot punish students for such acts, the action plan said.

In December 2018, the Ministry of Educationpublished a notice to reduce students' burden, such as requiring schools to control the amount of homework and strictly managing after-school training institutions.

Netizens consider Zhejiang's measures to control the homework time of students a one-size-fits-all approach. "Some children cannot concentrate on homework, so they finish it late," one Sina Weibo user said.

Educational experts said they support the government's endeavor to reduce students' burden, but only when standards of the social evaluation system are changed.

"If we always consider grades and rankings as only standards in the system, relevant policies cannot be put into practice," Xiong Bingqi, a deputy director of the Shanghai-based 21st Century Education Research Institute, told the Global Times on Wednesday.

Another city, Nanjing in East China's Jiangsu Province, also sparked controversy over burden alleviation measures.

"No cram schools, no exams and no additional class exercises, it may not be long before your child becomes a relaxed, joyful and mentally healthy student with poor grades," a Nanjing citizen said in an online article, reflecting parents' concerns.

A father in Nanjing with a sixth grader said that the city has implemented a new round of burden alleviation measures. "Homework is reduced," he said. "I want my child to be healthy and relaxed with less study tasks, but the reality is we must do more exercises to surpass others and enter great schools. You lessen the burden but others are still striving."

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-11-2 00:25:59 |Display all floors
Yet another "ingenious" plan that anyone knows won't go anywhere.
Not sure if the designer is stupid or he thinks we are stupid? how the hell did he expect such a plan can work?

The education department is obligated to ensure the workload for students is reasonable, only it has got the means to make it happen. Now it just push it to the students and the parents? it really expects the parents and the students are so bold to fight against the teachers this way?

9pm, 10pm? it's just utterly rediculous...., if the workload is absolutely reasonable, but some kid just played too long to finish it in time?  they don't check the workload itself, but check the time?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-11-2 21:27:12 |Display all floors
If considering the development of Chinese schooling in long run on the history, we can see that what and how have been taught in class have changed a lot with the pace of the eras. I wonder if our present doings are as reasonable as we expected? My answer is ‘No!’.
As for the topic, I have to say that too much homework goes like wasting students‘ time. Our kids have to spend a lot of energy on writing rather than practice with their heads and hands.
Too many textbooks go with a long story like a novel; Teachers are forced to repeat the original text without one-word error on the platform; Pupils note down the formula and then do sums with it like a robot-machine. Something is wrong with the education management from the top to bottom.
(Yesterday a physical check was carried out by few doctors in the hall of the teaching building.  I saw most of the poor kids were (are)nearsighted with thick glasses. I felt pity for them. I worried how they would do fine jobs in the future workshop without nice sight ability! )
Childish pure  mindset can simplify your life which let you live in a light way! Without man-made troubles you will work in high efficiency!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 5 DayEarlier |Display all floors
This post was edited by GhostBuster at 2019-11-7 15:20

Presume most of us is confused with education. To educate is to make sure that one understands and be able to apply knowledge learnt but not memorizing by heart and not able to perform or provide solution.
Worst is top grade scorers are extremely good in complicating rather simplifying problem by glorifying them at expenses of limited precious resources.
In the civil service, this is the trend so that they could stay in their position. Time for this to be changed or face self elimination with each new tide reaching the shore without mercy for anyone.
Society flourish and nation rose above the rest. With an education system that aims to bar out the able and retain those from the well related, that nation will sink and bury itself for good.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 4 DayEarlier |Display all floors
GhostBuster Post time: 2019-11-7 12:03
Presume most of us is confused with education. To educate is to make sure that one understands and  ...

About "Presume most of us is confused with education."
According to an English dictionary: Eductation is to tell kids what something is and how to do thinking.  I notice that foreign books can explain each concept in simple language. Furthermore to the same one, you may got several versions of different notes which are as colorful as rainbows in the sky! I do appreciate the free style on thinking. But in China we are lack of such creative atmosphere for many reasons. Our teaching and learning go in low efficiency. Too much work is nothing but a waste of time and energy in fact!
So if you really want to improve the schooling quality, we must learn from foreign counterparts on working methods.
Childish pure  mindset can simplify your life which let you live in a light way! Without man-made troubles you will work in high efficiency!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 4 DayEarlier |Display all floors
In the past I blame the bureaucrats in charge of education in this country, but it seems it's more or less the same scenariol in each of the 3 East Asian countries. Japan might be better than China in this area, but I'm not sure about South Korea.

So is it connected to some national character? I really don't know.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.