Views: 6698|Replies: 1

Gay dating app thrives in China [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2018-7-5 19:54:22 |Display all floors
China leads the way.

Based in Beijing, Blued is the most popular gay dating app in the world,

The big, open workspace near Beijing's business district has that startup feel: High ceilings, treadmills and snack stations, as well as hundreds of 20-somethings sitting in front of glowing screens.

And lots of rainbow flags and pins. Indeed, the staff here shows far more gay pride than most Chinese dare.

That's because they work for Blued, a gay dating app that's quickly become the most popular in the world. It boasts 40 million registered users while based in a country where most LGBT men and women still feel locked in the closet — where homosexuality, while no longer illegal, is still officially labelled "abnormal."

It helps that the CEO of Blued has become something of an icon in the nascent Chinese gay movement, fighting his way from a youth spent desperately looking for love online in small-town internet cafés.

"Back in my time, we felt depressed, isolated and lonely. I felt so tiny," said Ma Baoli, thinking back 20 years. "I wanted to find a lover, but it was so hard."

His corner office at Blued is decorated with pictures of near-naked men wrapped in rainbow banners, alongside official portraits of him shaking hands with top business and government officials.
Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured. Mark Twain

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-7-12 06:50:10 |Display all floors
"abnormal." it is, no question about it.
Human lives mean little when those in the WEST see a bigger gain through war

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.