Author: ceciliazhang

Why is China still a developing country   [Copy link] 中文

2018 Most Valuable Member 2018 Most Valuable Member 2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2018-6-13 16:29:11 |Display all floors
pnp Post time: 2018-6-13 14:26
'If CHina were a developed nation, its tourists would be much better behaved.'

You have missed my ...

And you miss every point I have been making... Sigh!

Whether CHina is a developing nation is not just a matter of China's standard of living. It's up to the peo9ple to attain a higher level - with or without the material resources.

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Valuable Member 2018 Most Valuable Member 2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2018-6-13 16:34:36 |Display all floors
pnp Post time: 2018-6-13 14:30
Your definition of devloped and developing goes against the standard, which is per capita GDP, so  ...

Have you ever thought about why some nations are underdeveloped while their immediate neighbours are advanced?

Do you think wealth is first before the status of develo9ped nation comes, or is it vice versa?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-6-14 00:43:54 |Display all floors
This post was edited by sfphoto at 2018-6-14 01:43
pnp Post time: 2018-6-13 14:30
Your definition of devloped and developing goes against the standard, which is per capita GDP, so  ...

That’s the economic definition of being “developed” vs “undeveloped”. So that means the Arab Oil Sheikdoms plus the European and Offshore Tax Havens would qualify as “developed” due to their high GDP per capita even though those countries hardly have any manufacturing or technology industries. The Arab Oil Sheikdoms even depend upon imported workers to run their “modern” cities which were mostly built with foreign technologies.

China has the world’s largest infrastructure, manufacturing, technology and services industries with such breath and depth that is unequalled by any other country in the world. It is still classified as a “developing” country because of its vast “undeveloped” hinterland and large population of rural villagers. But I don’t think becoming a “developed” country would necessarily imply having a “developed” culture.. The USA is a good example of a “developed” country with an “undeveloped” culture.

What China needs to do is to reinvent traditional and Classical Chinese Culture to create a “modern” Chinese culture appropriate for a “developed” country. China is building the “hardware” to become a “developed” country; what China lacks is the “software” for a “developed” culture.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-6-14 08:57:23 |Display all floors
sfphoto Post time: 2018-6-14 00:43
That’s the economic definition of being “developed” vs “undeveloped”. So that means the Arab O ...

Well, thanks for apprising Mr Pee the basics of economics although I doubt it will help him get a clearer picture.

Meanwhile you were a little overzealous in writing your post:

. So that means the Arab Oil Sheikdoms plus the European and Offshore Tax Havens would qualify as “developed” due to their high GDP per capita even though those countries hardly have any manufacturing or technology industries.

Europe is the developed part of the group of states with a high GDP, developed in every sense: Every industry and every technology is mastered, there is in fact too much industry and rivalry ("competition") between different states and different plants that produce the same goods.

When I was talking about "developed countries", I clearly had things other than just economics in mind. It is the mental prowess of the people, the general cultural conditions that help develop a nation. The interdependence of European societies and economies demonstrates the high level of culture that they share even as they are separate nations, speak different languages and enjoy individual sovereignty.

The USA has basically a European culture and that has made it so successful. China's success is very, very recent and due exactly to adopting cultural features borrowed from Europe. Maybe you should rephrse the last paragraph in your previous post...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-6-14 11:55:57 |Display all floors
sfphoto Post time: 2018-6-14 00:43
That’s the economic definition of being “developed” vs “undeveloped”. So that means the Arab O ...

'That’s the economic definition of being “developed” vs “undeveloped”

Yes, I deliberately stick to the economic definition which is more objective than the others.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-6-14 18:52:05 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2018-6-14 08:57
Well, thanks for apprising Mr Pee the basics of economics although I doubt it will help him get a  ...

You have an “Alice in Wonderland” view of Europe as an Old World version of Disneyland. But reality is a lot harsher. Northern Europe led by Germany outperforms and thus dominates the rest of Europe. The Eurozone debt crisis saw Ireland, Spain, Portugal, Greece and Cyprus unable to refinance their national debts without getting bailed out by EU banks. In Eastern Europe, foreign-ownership of the banking/financial institutions ranks as the highest in the world due to the mass privatization of State-owned banks following the Fall of the Soviet Union. Foreign Capital from Northern Europe dominates the industrial sector in Southern, Central and Eastern Europe. The level of industrial development is highly uneven with Germany as the industrial and financial powerhouse leading the rest of Europe.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-6-14 19:21:54 |Display all floors
sfphoto Post time: 2018-6-14 18:52
You have an “Alice in Wonderland” view of Europe as an Old World version of Disneyland. But real ...

Enough of your twaddle. I serve you notice that it is a piece of cake to prove that the USA has ten times or more culture to offer than China, contrary to your loudmouthed claim. We are only talking about why China styill is a developing nation, and you have shown some understanding of the point that economics is only the rather superficial part of development. My point is that without a culture to underpin economic progress and prosperity no developmental stage is sustainable. Only Europe has developed a culture that sustains economic change and growth. Elsewhere, "sustainable economy" means stagnant economy. A stagnant economy can leap into life if an accident happens, such as the discovery of resources other economies need and desire to extract.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.