Author: ceciliazhang

Why is China still a developing country   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2018-6-13 14:30:29 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2018-6-13 14:16
Your education does not extend enough into the realm the topic covers.

THere are developing nat ...

Your definition of devloped and developing goes against the standard, which is per capita GDP, so a country rich in agriculture can be a developed country , not neccessary to have industrial base! So New Zealand is a developed country although its economy is agricultural mostly, without a strong industrila base.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-6-13 14:45:15 |Display all floors
MichaelM Post time: 2018-6-10 06:56
This reminds me of being in an elevator in China with a Chinese friend. A guy got on the elevator  ...

'She said, "Oh, he's likely from the countryside and the person he's talking to is far away. '

Chinese people will always find an excuse for the bad behavior of their compatriots; it is too shameful for them to admit bad behavior.  I definitely don't buy her explanation. it is a lame excuse.  I have experienced the same loud noise of Chinese customers shouting at each other right across the table while talking, not quarrelling!  It is their uncivilized rude behavior, not becuse they are 'too far away'! They don't respect the rights of other customers to a decent environment!  
In developed countries, one can enjoy a cup of coffee with friends in quiet Starbucks,  but in China, Starbucks are as noisy as the Chinese fish market!!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-6-13 15:11:09 |Display all floors
This post was edited by pnp at 2018-6-13 15:12
sfphoto Post time: 2018-6-9 18:42
What’s the big deal? Maybe the tourists were from the countryside where it’s customary to throw th ...

Not a good excuse! Once they leave their countryside home and go abroad they are their country's unofficial ambassadors, so they must behave in a civilized manner to avoid bringing shame to their motherland!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-6-13 15:20:51 |Display all floors
MichaelM Post time: 2018-6-10 06:49
I don't think it is the Japanese's responsibility to know that this is normal behavior back in tho ...

'they often comment that when a group of adults leaves a restaurant table here, it looks as if several toddlers had eaten there. That's acceptable in China.'

So true, I've observed that countless times.  Many Chinese have become rich before they have become civilized! I often have to ask the waiters to clear away the garbage left behind by the previous lot of ADULT Chinese customers!  The Chinese don't have to habit of clearing their own garbage and putting their trays in the proper place. They think that it is the duty of the waiters to do so; they, as paying customers, have to right to mess up the place.  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-6-13 15:27:01 |Display all floors
Even if China acquired developed country status by GDP standard, it does not mean that the Chinese would behave in a civiized manner expected of them!  It merely means that the country has reached a certain amount of GDP, but the behavior has not kept up with their new status!  
Put bluntly, China has a first world economy, but a third world mentality!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-6-13 15:27:46 |Display all floors
pnp Post time: 2018-6-13 14:16
May I proffer my explanation; it is still a developing country because of its uneven growth, the e ...

Yes, that’s what I meant by arguing that the economic model of export-oriented low-cost manufacturing which China adopted from East Asia necessitated the mass migration of factory workers from inland provinces to coastal cities. But this created all kinds of social problems such as family separation, labor exploitation, environmental degradation, etc. That economic model also distorted the industrial development of China because it caused overinvestment in the export factories resulting in overcapacity in those manufacturing industries while precluding the development of technology and services industries to serve domestic markets.

This all changed after the GFC 2008 caused the massive contraction in export markets which forced those factories to sell their products to domestic markets. That’s how Alibaba’s taobao grew so fast in ten years time because those entrepreneurs now have an ecommerce platform to sell online to domestic consumers. In fact, Jack Ma was saying that most of the ecommerce growth came from inland provinces because they lacked the retail outlets of coastal cities which were much more developed than  the inland provinces. China’s decision to build 25,000 kms of high-speed rail lines during that time completely changed the business model of Chinese entrepreneurs because they now had access to the vast hinterland via high-speed rail. China’s deployment of 4G TD-LTE also opened up the mobile internet sector which enabled Chinese entrepreneurs to sell their products/services via smartphones.

Ten years. That’s all it took.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-6-13 15:34:43 |Display all floors
pnp Post time: 2018-6-13 15:11
Not a good excuse! Once they leave their countryside home and go abroad they are their country's un ...

Well sure but as a practical matter that would take a generation or two to turn illiterate peasants into urban sophisticates. So it’s better for them to patronize Chinese restaurants run by Chinese entrepreneurs for Chinese tourists to avoid social friction in foreign countries.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.