Author: ceciliazhang

Why is China still a developing country   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2018-6-13 14:10:37 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2018-6-9 18:13
The South China Morning Post today reports that a gaggle of Chinese tourists were formally asked to ...

I came across that story in a foreign newspaper too, but that has nothing to do with being 'underdeveloped';  it has all to do with bad upbringing, which can happen even when a country is 'developed' by GDP standard!  Chinese peoples' anti social behavior has been widely reported, both at home and abroad, and evn here in Forum, so that incident comes as no surprise at all!  Even the Chinese govt acknowledges that; hence it puts out daily community adverts on national TV exhorting its people to behave in a civilized manner!

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2018-6-13 14:16:03 |Display all floors
pnp Post time: 2018-6-13 14:04
That is your weird definition of a developed country, not the generally accepted one, which is bas ...

Your education does not extend enough into the realm the topic covers.

THere are developing nations where everyone, or nearly everyone, is affluent, yet the country cannot make such simple things as pens.

There are countries that are well-to-do but that still are backward; if a nation does not have an industrial base, it probably doesn't have top professionals and academics. It will be a society that lives well without creating anything of value, and in the process it will also produce a lot of waste and not know how to deal with that waste.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-6-13 14:16:26 |Display all floors
sfphoto Post time: 2018-6-9 18:37
The reason why China is still a developing country after four decades of economic growth is due to t ...

May I proffer my explanation; it is still a developing country because of its uneven growth, the eastern coastal regions grow at high speed and many cities there are very developed, even better than in developed countries, but the western regions lack far behind, and these pull down the nation's overall GDP per capita, making it fall into the developing country category!  Minus the western regions, China is now a developed country!

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2018-6-13 14:19:27 |Display all floors
pnp Post time: 2018-6-13 14:10
I came across that story in a foreign newspaper too, but that has nothing to do with being 'underd ...

Who said that SCMP article was about "underdevelopment in China"???

You have a peculiar way of looking at other posters' comments!

I took the liberty of mentioning a news and adding my conclusion: If CHina were a developed nation, its tourists would be much better behaved.

What's wrong with this conclusion? No, not the SCMP's. Mine.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-6-13 14:21:39 |Display all floors
This post was edited by pnp at 2018-6-13 14:22

Nothing to be ashamed of;  being a developing country has advantages too, it does not have to pay the high dues of UN agencies, it can even qualify for developing country cheap loans from the IMF and other world bodies.  In fact China should remain a developing country, being upgraded would mean losing certain benefits and having to fork out more for international agencies upkeep!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-6-13 14:22:00 |Display all floors
pnp Post time: 2018-6-13 14:04
That is your weird definition of a developed country, not the generally accepted one, which is bas ...

Underdevelopment has more sides than just one. It's not just about economics and the distribution of resources. It's sometimes about how PEOPLE are factored in. Developed countries have educated people, not necessarily university-degreed adults but adults that have learnt to act responsibly.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-6-13 14:26:25 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2018-6-13 14:19
Who said that SCMP article was about "underdevelopment in China"???

You have a peculiar way of l ...

'If CHina were a developed nation, its tourists would be much better behaved.'

You have missed my point; being a developed country DOES NOT guarantee that they would behave better!  That is your assumption! It would not be a surprise that those ladies come from rich families or are reasonably rich, to be able to go on overseas holidays, but that does not make them behave like being from developed countries!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.