Views: 29064|Replies: 28

What does it take to get into China’s top universities? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2018-6-9 15:32:03 |Display all floors

(CGTN) Beijing is home to two of China's top universities – Tsinghua University and Peking University. Students spend hours and hours preparing for the country's college entrance exam – the Gaokao – to make the cut for Tsinghua or Peking. However, it seems like local students are still more likely to be admitted than their counterparts from other provinces.

Data showed that the 2017 enrollment rate for Beijing students admitted into Tsinghua and Peking is 0.91 percent. That number dropped by more than half for students from Shanghai and neighboring Tianjin the same year.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-6-9 15:32:29 |Display all floors

Tsinghua University. /VCG Photo

For other provinces, the enrollment rate is only about 0.1 percent or less. While the percentage could be higher for Beijing students, one Tsinghua student from outside the city still thinks it is relatively balanced as there are only four Beijing students in his class of 72.

“I think it is relatively fair. Most of the students are not local. But when we consider the total number of the students in senior high, I think the enrollment rate in Beijing can be definitely higher than in other provinces and cities,” said Yang Xinlei, a junior studying at the School of Software under Tsinghua University.

Yang also said he studied vigorously during his last year in high school in Jiangsu Province, as the pressure to get into a top university like Tsinghua is huge.

But one Beijing student studying economics at Peking University told CGTN that she and her high school classmates went through a similar ordeal, if not more vigorous.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-6-9 15:32:52 |Display all floors

Li Chaohui (L), a junior at Peking University and Yang Xinlei (C), a junior at Tsinghua University speak with CGTN in Beijing. /CGTN Photo

“In a typical day, I would study for about fifteen to sixteen hours. I would get up half past six and I would go to bed about half-past one or two o’clock in the morning,” said Li Chaohui, a junior at Peking University.

However, Li does admit that the educational resources she has received is something students from other regions never dreamed of.

“I just feel really lucky, grateful and thankful. And at the same time, a little bit uneasy. But then again, educational inequality exists pretty much everywhere in the world. If you compare it with some Western countries, the current education system in China at least still enables mobility, so that’s a good thing. And I think the problem behind this educational cluster of resource is regional economic inequality,” said Li.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-6-9 15:33:16 |Display all floors

Peking University. /VCG Photo

There is no easy solution to the problem Li pointed out. In 2012, China rolled out special admission quotas to target students from regions with poor educational resources, and that is still work in progress. Both Yang and Li have met students like this during their studies, and say the students are no less qualified for China's top universities.

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2018-6-9 18:06:06 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member 2012's Best Moderator Medal of honor August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012 Gold Medal

Post time 2018-6-10 00:39:59 |Display all floors
What does it take to get into China’s top universities?

Money

That is for all Uni's round the World not China

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2018-6-10 10:41:14 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.