Author: AaronLDY

Cruelty to crustaceans? Crayfish hotpot escapee heats online debate [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2018-6-8 12:22:05 |Display all floors
Yes, it's time someone speak up against inhumane killing of live creatures for food in China!  Apart from this crayfish, Chinese chefs and housewives have ben reported to use inhumane ways to cook live creatures.  I was horrified to see on CCTV a cooking program in which live creatures like crayfish, prawns, crabs and  fish were thrown live into a pot of boiling water, then lid covered and boiled alive!  They have no chance of escaping unlike this lucky crayfish as the lid covered the pot tightly.  And the way chickens are slaughtered are horrifying too; their heads are chopped off, and they are thrown on the floor, struggling in pain and dying a slow and painful death, and often picked up even before they are dead and thrown into a metal drum and the switch turned on which turns the chicken round till all feathers are gone!  How cruel!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-6-8 13:47:50 |Display all floors
pnp Post time: 2018-6-8 12:22
Yes, it's time someone speak up against inhumane killing of live creatures for food in China!  Apart ...

agree, even though these creatures are raised as food for humans, even though they don't have human emotions, they do have feelings, they can feel pain. And even though they don't possess more advanced feelings like despair, some of them do know fear.

If I have to make this cruel comparison, they are like new born babies who know or understand nothing about his surroundings but he feels things,if anyone is so brutal as to hurt babies he won't be considered to be human anymore, or even worse than those predatory beasts that kill for survival, not pleasure.

as one species in nature we have to eat meat too, I'm not vegetarian myself but I think it's in our power to make the slaughtering process as painless as possible.
I know it would be naive to start right away to promote these ideas to slaughter houses which still have to consider cost to be competitive. but I believe if more and more people are aware of this issue, in future when people got rich and civilized enough they would be willing to allocate more resouces or make more laws to improve it.

so for now the very least we can do is to discourage practices that are cruel and unnecessary by showing our disapproval instead of acting like they are perfectly normal. taking the example of the cooking methods shown in CCTV programs, they are really indeed very much inappropriate.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-6-8 13:52:32 |Display all floors
pnp Post time: 2018-6-8 11:24
No, slaughter houses have humane way of killing sheep and pigs, certainly not like they do with the ...

I was on holiday a few months back touring the west coast of South Africa, a small town called Lambertsbaai had their annual crayfish festival, and that people will tell you how to cook crayfish, shrimps, mussels etc. live in boiling water.
Human lives mean little when those in the WEST see a bigger gain through war

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-6-8 13:52:41 |Display all floors
oasisgreen Post time: 2018-6-8 13:47
agree, even though these creatures are raised as food for humans, even though they don't have huma ...

As national broadcaster CCTV should not air such disturbing scenes, it should do its part to educate viewers on humane ways of cooking creatures!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-6-8 13:57:36 |Display all floors
1626548377 Post time: 2018-6-8 13:52
I was on holiday a few months back touring the west coast of South Africa, a small town called Lam ...

Please don't use such barbaric example to justify Chinese cooking method!  S Africa is not the standard bearer, we expect more civilized way of cooking.  I can quote you the opposite, Sweden has outlawed live cooking of lobsters because of its cruelty to the creatures!  That is what a civilized society should do, and China should aspire to that standard, not the barbaric S African one!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-6-8 14:00:08 |Display all floors
Chinese people don't have a heart, they are not at all moved by their own cruelty to animals boiled alive right in front of them at the dining table; how they can enjoy their meal with such horrible sights, is beyond me!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-6-8 14:03:09 |Display all floors
pnp Post time: 2018-6-8 13:57
Please don't use such barbaric example to justify Chinese cooking method!  S Africa is not the sta ...

Surf the web and see how to cook and why you cook in boil water. In any case you won't get a restaurant in Spain who will cook a crayfish any other way.
Human lives mean little when those in the WEST see a bigger gain through war

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.