Views: 6973|Replies: 84

World Book Day: Best novels for English learners [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2018-4-16 14:16:54 |Display all floors
The annual World Book Day is coming soon. Have you made a reading list for April 23rd? If so, we wish you a happy and rich reading day in advance. If not, please consider waiting on a recommendation from us before finishing your plans.

China Daily website is looking for your recommendations — the best English-language novels for those who love English learning. Please recommend two to three novels each, adding your reasons why, to help bookworms and English learners make their own reading lists. We’re looking forward to hearing from you, and sharing your recommendations! Thanks!

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Medal

Post time 2018-4-16 16:14:18 |Display all floors
This post was edited by robert237 at 2018-4-16 22:09

"To Kill a Mockingbird" by "Harper Lee" is a pretty good book.
It was the only book Harper Lee ever wrote. She was good friends with Truman Capote.
Truman Capote wrote "In Cold Blood" which is another interesting book.

"To Kill a Mockingbird" is a story told in the deep south of the USA during the
Great Depression (early 1930s).
The story is told through the eyes of a young girl over a two year period of her
life (6-8 years old).
It deals with the loss of innocence, racism, and the triumph of the human spirit.
The young girl (the central character) is nicknamed Scout. She has an older brother
nicknamed Jem. Their father, Atticus Finch, is a lawyer in the small town.
The story starts in the summer of 1933 and a young boy appears in the neighborhood
who Scout and Jem befriend. The friend's name is Dill and he is there for the summer.
The three of them get into childhood adventures, the most important centering on
a mysterious man, Boo Radley, who lives a few houses down the road. All sorts of
rumors surround this mysterious man who the children have never seen. He is a recluse.
As with most rumor, most are dark and sinister.

Later in the novel the father, Atticus agrees to be the defense lawyer for a black man
who has been accused of raping a young white woman. The woman's farther is a drunk who
is an extreme racists. In those days a black man accused of any crime against a
white person was guaranteed to be convicted no matter the circumstances or the
evidence. Atticus can see the black man he is representing is innocent but expects
to lose the trial. He has greater hopes of defending his client by appealing to
higher courts. But before he can appeal after losing the trial his client tries
to escape and is shot dead.
The drunkard father of the falsely accusing white woman seeks revenge because he
feels he has been made a fool of in court by Atticus and the judge.

Later in the novel the drunkard attacks Scout and Jem on their way home from a
school festival. Jem's arm is broken severly and a mysterious person intervenes
before the drunkard can do any more harm. The drunkard is killed and the mysterious
man carries Jem to his home.

Who is this mysterious man and what happened to him after the investigation?
That's for the reader to find out.

They say you should write about what you know. Harper Lee grew up in a small town
in the state of Alabama during this time. Her intimate knowledge of this time and
place is what makes this book so powerful.

If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-4-16 16:58:45 |Display all floors
I have been reading two novels: <English dictionary> and <Chinadaily>those like a  by-train-travelling on which I had starting point but have no stop for getting off! -----------Would you like go with me for the tour?

(I couldn't help laughing at myself!)
All of our writings should go with zero error!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-4-16 19:19:50 |Display all floors
SEARU Post time: 2018-4-16 16:58
I have been reading two novels:  and those like a  by-train-travelling on which I had starting point ...

You don't read British publications? How about The Economist?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-4-16 19:27:36 |Display all floors
robert237 Post time: 2018-4-16 16:14
It was the only book Harper Lee ever  ...

Harper is said to have written two novels instead of one in her whole life.  Her second novel,  Go Set a Watchman ,  was published in 2015, and became a best-selling one on Amazon after it came out.

I think they are spot-on. You don't know anything about Chinese and American literature.

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2018-4-16 23:01:17 |Display all floors
robert237 Post time: 2018-4-16 16:14
It was the only book Harper Lee ever  ...

That is a good recommendation, Robert, I am amazed this recommendation is coming from you. However, I do feel the novel is a little ahead of most Chinese English learners. Still, it is a very good choice.

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2018-4-16 23:02:31 |Display all floors
I will make several recommendation at a later date. I have mentioned many good books over the years on many an occasion. I commend the CD for taking up this occasion to promote reading.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.