Views: 31446|Replies: 17

A country girl makes it big through live streaming [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2018-4-11 18:31:34 |Display all floors
Ou Xiaoyang grew up in a small village in China’s northeast, close to the border with the DPRK. Her family was so poor that, as a girl, she had to wear second-hand clothes and was unable to realize many of her childhood dreams, such as learning to dance. But then her life took a dramatic turn.

A talent agency offered to sign her up as a live streamer. At first, however, she felt very apprehensive.

“Initially I was quite opposed to the idea, I felt that this is a shady industry,” she recalls. “Once I became more familiar with it, I realized this is a good job. I never expected to come this far. I mainly got into it just to make a bit of extra money.”

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-4-11 18:31:57 |Display all floors

And so the plain girl from the countryside transformed herself into a glamorous online entertainer, earning on average 9,000 US dollars per month from the comfort of her new home in the city. She’s paid in so-called virtual gifts, which users send to her account when they enjoy a performance.

“Without gifts, you can’t put food on the table. It’s that simple,” Ou explains. “Everyone cares about collecting gifts. The more gifts you get, the higher your income. It’s just like when you watch a concert; you also have to buy tickets.”

But her new-found riches come at a price. To maintain her fan base, she needs to be online every single day. A holiday is a luxury she can’t afford. Furthermore, by its very nature of providing entertainment for young professionals, her working day only really gets started once the users have finished theirs and settled down in front of their screens.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-4-11 18:32:17 |Display all floors
Grace222 Post time: 2018-4-11 18:31
And so the plain girl from the countryside transformed herself into a glamorous online entertainer,  ...

She usually goes live at around 9 p.m. and stays online for four to five hours. However, including the necessary preparation of researching discussion topics and applying her make-up, plus the need to interact personally with her fans for hours after finishing her streaming session, her workday can easily last for 14 hours, until 6 a.m.

Aside from the physical demands of working through the night, there’s an emotional strain, too. When viewers pay only for content, they enjoy watching and can give feedback in real time. They can request streamers to do whatever comes to their mind. It’s up to her to decide how far she will go to meet their demands, in the knowledge that someone else might be willing to go further.  

“Some guys want you to show them your toes, and you have to wear tights while showing them,” she says. “I feel that’s too much; I’m using my skills to broadcast, I have talent. I’m not here to show off my feet to you. Others will ask that I wear more revealing clothes, show more cleavage. Those kinds of requests I can’t accept. To me, this is an art form, nothing else.”

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-4-12 02:23:00 |Display all floors
  She's ugly.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-4-12 02:30:20 |Display all floors
Grace222 Post time: 2018-4-11 18:32
She usually goes live at around 9 p.m. and stays online for four to five hours. However, including ...

Grace, I don't think most Chinese men would flip over a lass looking like her. Can't you find that she may have  performed facial plastic surgery, duh, with a view to looking like a Korean celebrity?

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Medal

Post time 2018-4-12 02:32:35 |Display all floors
tatata69 Post time: 2018-4-11 10:23
She's ugly.

Just because she's beyond your reach...
If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2018-4-12 10:23:39 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.