Views: 32418|Replies: 16

Should single women be allowed to freeze their eggs? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2018-2-8 14:56:48 |Display all floors
(Global Times) A woman is calling on China to adopt a policy in Northeast China's Jilin Province allowing the freezing of eggs in Chinese hospitals.

Egg freezing [File photo: VCG]

Zhan Yingying (pseudonym) from Guangdong sent a letter to the Standing Committee of Jilin Provincial People's Congress on Wednesday, suggesting that local hospitals allow single women to have children by medical reproductive technologies, including egg freezing, and to expand the policy nationwide.

"I am 29 years old, no plans to marry nor have a child, but I think I should be allowed to freeze my eggs in my country whenever I want," Zhan told the Global Times on Wednesday.

Single women of legal marrying age, who decide not to marry, can give birth by adopting legal medical technologies, according to the Regulations of Jilin Province on Population and Family Planning.

Although the regulation did not specifically cite egg freezing, Zhan thinks it is one reproductive method.

Zhan said many hospitals in China have the technology as well as qualifications to do egg freezing, but only for married women.

Two kinds of women in China are allowed to freeze their eggs - married women who want to have a test-tube baby and single women who suffer from malignant tumors, Xue Qing, a doctor specializing in gynaecology and obstetrics at Peking University First Hospital, was quoted in a report from the Beijing Evening News as saying in July 2015.

Zhan was not the only single woman who wants to freeze her eggs.

"It makes me feel anxious whenever I think of this issue though I'm still young and not eager for a child," Yang Yang (pseudonym), a 28-year-old lesbian living in Beijing, told the Global Times on Wednesday.

"The current regulation makes me feel I have limited rights because of my sexual orientation and my identity as a single woman. People are born with the right to give birth," Yang added.

The egg freezing issue once gained prominence when Chinese actress Xu Jinglei advocated the controversial technology in China in 2015.

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor

Post time 2018-2-9 06:11:48 |Display all floors
Who said that people are born with the right to give birth? Why do people think this!?

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2018-2-9 07:31:11 |Display all floors
HailChina! Post time: 2018-2-9 06:11
Who said that people are born with the right to give birth? Why do people think this!?

Many Chinese women are selfish. They think a child is a property that they fan make or buy off the shelf.

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor

Post time 2018-2-9 07:54:55 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2018-2-9 07:31
Many Chinese women are selfish. They think a child is a property that they fan make or buy off the ...

Not just Chinese women.

And yes - like a China doll. I know someone that has many China Dolls for some reason. They are cheap ones too. Some kind of psychological problem caused in childhood I would say.

But yes - it is a very selfish idea to think that a person has the right to bring life into the world - especially if they are not fully capable of caring for that child throughout its entire lifetime. What is it called again? Working to make sure your child has security in it's life? I do agree with you on that.

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2018-2-9 08:01:02 |Display all floors
Many Chinese women are selfish. They think a child is a property that they fan make or buy off the ...

Let me clarify that women elsewhere an be selfish too. ut this thread is about CHINESE WOMEN, so my post had to stay in context.

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor

Post time 2018-2-9 08:08:24 |Display all floors

I would probably give a secure lesbian a pass but in my opinion low socioeconomic citizens that clearly cannot offer adequate security for their child should be prevented from having children - unless they agree that the state will be primary caregiver. Let's say in future those on a basic living wage wish to breed - it may be possible but only in a Brave New World type scenario where it is the state that has final say on all things relating to that child - the child could still live with the parent but it would have to go to the school that the state decides - perhaps live and move to where the state decides - and perhaps be set on a path for certain types of employment that the state decides. Low socioeconomic citizens can be and are of value to society but the state needs far more control over them. And population control/management will be very important in the coming age. If the state is prepared to help low socioeconomic citizens give the gift of life then low socioeconomic citizens must be prepared to help the state. Done right these citizens could love the state and the state would love them back.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-2-10 06:21:22 |Display all floors
I have no objection to any single (or married) woman freezing her eggs.
My problem is simple: I just know better than everyone-else!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.