Views: 128868|Replies: 162

Many Chinese Have Become Rich Before They Have Become Civilized   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2018-2-7 13:41:40 |Display all floors
This post was edited by pnp at 2018-2-8 14:50

The Reform and Opening Up Policy has opened the door to many Chinese to get rich quick, and some became extremely rich!  But their newfound wealth has not made them behave any better than their poorer compatriots!   The rich, with access to modern gadgets, tools and machines, but without the civliized mentality,  is a public nuisance and a danger to society.   Whereas previously they rode around on bicycles, today, they zoom around in fast cars, beating redlights, driving against the flow of traffic, failing to give way to pedestrians at zebra crossings, parking their cars on pedestrian walkways, obstructing pedestrians and forcing them onto the dangerous roads, etc.  
They can now afford expensive alcohol, and they drink till drunk, and hop into their cars to drive under the influence of alcohol, risking the lives and limps of other road users!   And that's not all, they throw garbage out their vehicles such as cigarette butts, cigarette packs, drinks bottles and even spit out the window!
And the rich can afford to live in luxury highrise apartments, but they continue to behave like their poorer cousins, raining all sorts of dirty litter from above, often with litter landing on those walking on the ground below.  Highrise killer litter is very common, resulting in serious injuries and even deaths!

While the Chinese in the past had barely enough to feed themselves and their families, today they even have the money to feed expensive dogs, imitating people in the West.  But unlike the responsible dogowners of the West who leave their pets at entrances to shops and supermarkets, the irresponsible Chinese dogowners take their pets into shops and supermarkets, breaking public health laws which forbid it!   And nowadays, they take their antisocial behavior to greater heights, taking their filthy dogs and cats, together with their ordour and fleas onboard airlines, being a nuisance to other passengers.

And horrors, they even beat up public servants such as doctors, nurses, policemen, chengguan, airlines staff, security guards, etc!

Today, the rich Chinese can afford smart phones into which they shout loudly in public, and watch movies onboard the planes without using earphones, being a nuisance to people near them.

Until and unless the Chinese have learnt to be civil, their rights and privileges in public should be restricted!   For instance, airlines should not provide them with wifi facilities onboard, nor allow them to take pets into the passenger cabins!

Every holiday season millions of Chinese, who now can afford highspeed train and airline tickets,  flock to scenic spots and leave behind tonnes of garbage for the poor cleaners to clean up after them.  Some cleaners even have to abseil down dangerous mountain slopes to recover bags and bags of garbage; others row dinghies out the lakes to recover floating garbage, while still others dive into the lakes to retrieve garbage that has sunk to the bottom!   
And that's not all, the rich Chinese tourists are even destructive; they climb up cherry blossom trees, shake them violently to get the petals to rain down for a good photo shoot, while others trample on flowerbeds, and others pluck flowers off trees, depriving other visitors their enjoyment.
Spring Festival is round the corner, and the ugly face of the Chinese tourists would again manifest itself for the world to see and to scorn at!

The list of uncivilized, antisocial behavior of the Chinese is endless.  And because they are now rich enough to take overseas holidays, they carry their antisocial behavior with them overseas, making a nuisance of themselves, and bringing shame to heir motherland!
One can't help but wonder why a people who claim to have a 5000-year old civilization behind them, behave in such uncivilized manner!

The wealthy Chinese billionaires and millionaires, who have benefited enormously from the Reform and Opening Up Policy, should set aside a portion of their wealth for educating their fellow compatriots on the finer points of social behavior, and turning them into socially responsible people, worthy of being citizens of the world's second largest economy!

Sad but true, while the Chinese have a first world economy, they have a third world mentality!   China has all the hardware of a rich, modern society, but unfortunately it lacks the software, the civilized mentality, that must accompany the use of these hardware!   China is a victim of its own success!  A galloping economy and a high GDP alone do not make for a great nation!
It's time for the Chinese Government to act to prevent its citizens tarnishing its image through their uncivilized behavior both at home and abroad!  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-2-7 14:26:38 |Display all floors
It is not fair to generalize all Chinese tourists as uncivilized. Every country has rude people and China is no exception. As the world's most populous country, China has probably the most travelers around the world, meaning it also has more obnoxious and rude people than any other country. But many Chinese tourists do not cause any trouble. They are generally well behaved. Unfortunately, the few bad tourists do taint the image of the entire group.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-2-7 14:45:06 |Display all floors
This post was edited by pnp at 2018-2-7 14:50
ceciliazhang Post time: 2018-2-7 14:26
It is not fair to generalize all Chinese tourists as uncivilized. Every country has rude people and  ...

I expect someone to come forward and plead for those who are responsible; so I have carefully worded my  OP to say, 'Many  Chinese', not all 1.4 billion of them!  I have many Chinese friends who behave very responsibly.  This thread is directed at the irresponsible ones, and there are many of them, we see them in real life and in reel life on CCTV News everyday! If you are not one of them you shouldn't be so defensive!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-2-7 14:59:17 |Display all floors
ceciliazhang Post time: 2018-2-7 14:26
It is not fair to generalize all Chinese tourists as uncivilized. Every country has rude people and  ...

"It is not fair to generalize all Chinese tourists as uncivilized"

Go read my thread again, did I say 'all Chinese toursts'?  I am very fair with my comments.  
And yes, you are right, the bad ones tarnish the image of the good ones, so it is up to the good ones to speak up and tell them to behave better!  If you have not stood up when confronted by the behavior of the bad ones, you should take part of the blame.  The Chinese attitude of 'buyao guan xian shi' or 'don't  mind other peoples' business',  is to a  large extent responsible for the entrenched bad behavior.

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Valuable Member

Post time 2018-2-7 17:41:24 |Display all floors
I believe the government has already done what ever they can. Didnt they not tell travellers to leave their culture behind a few years ago? i am sure they did. I once lived in a hotel for a year when i 1st came here, and got talking to someone who had been brought in from the city to train the hotel staff, because they were dealing with many complaints from the guests. This hotel was in countryside where i worked, and it was a very famous 5 star with many different facilities. Anyway he quit soon after saying he was wasting his time.......they will never change he said
if you want something in life get off your backside, and do it yourself!! don't rely on others to do it for you

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-2-7 18:50:05 |Display all floors
parcher Post time: 2018-2-7 17:41
I believe the government has already done what ever they can. Didnt they not tell travellers to leav ...

re: they will never change he said

I'd say, Never say never.
  However, what  pnp   stated is 100% correct.  buyao guan xian shi ;  Someone want to hurt
you or your Country,  Chinese people should quit to bring their hard earned money to them...

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Valuable Member

Post time 2018-2-7 19:08:34 |Display all floors
emanreus Post time: 2018-2-7 18:50
re:  they will never change he said

I'd say, Never say never.

keep complaining about it will eventually make us all bitter  
focus on all the positives china brings you. For people to change, they 1st must acknowledge they are doing something wrong .
i believe the givernment are trying to get people to change, but what more can they  do
if you want something in life get off your backside, and do it yourself!! don't rely on others to do it for you

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.