Views: 39289|Replies: 29

The Cultural Differences Seen Through Comics [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2018-2-7 11:37:16 |Display all floors

(MetDaan) Life in the West and in the East is as similar as night is to day. These differences encompass all aspects of everyday living, from eating utensils to social interactions. Stereotypes are quite common on both sides of the globe – it’s hard to get rid of these things that we believe in even though they are often untrue. But that is exactly what Chinese graphic designer Siyu Cao wants to achieve.

The Beijing born-and-raised artist has spent the last ten years of her life studying, working, and simply traveling between France, the United Kingdom, and the United States. Having observed people’s customs in these Western countries and realizing that most of the things Westerners believe about Eastern culture are untrue, Siyu decided to mend this gap through the medium of art. Her humorous and relatable comic series, titled tiny eyes, is her way of documenting all of her everyday adventures and her clash-of-the-cultures experiences.

“Many people that I met were curious about China,” Siyu wrote on BoredPanda, “but their impressions of China would end up with words like ‘communist’, ‘pollution’ and ‘no Facebook.’ While many facts are true, the contemporary, living and multifaceted Chinese life is rarely heard of.

I started tiny eyes comics a year ago in the hope of sharing Chinese culture through everyday life. To me, learning about other cultures has always been a fun experience, and I want to pass this feeling to people who are curious about China. In lots of my comics, I compare Chinese culture to western culture. Through comparison, we realize how differently we act in front of the same situation and how we tend to think in a certain way instead of another. In the end, every culture is ‘weird’ in its way, but it’s also the weirdness that makes it interesting.”

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-2-7 11:49:08 |Display all floors
1. The grass is always greener

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-2-7 11:49:35 |Display all floors
2. Simple but efficient!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-2-7 11:50:00 |Display all floors
3. They do have spoons…

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-2-7 11:52:01 |Display all floors
4. A simple question with many answers

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-2-7 11:52:26 |Display all floors
5. What is a man to do when it’s too hot but roll up his shirt over his bulging belly?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-2-7 11:52:51 |Display all floors
6. Peer pressure is always tough

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.