Views: 7107|Replies: 13

How real is China's anti-corruption campaign? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2018-1-8 10:06:55 |Display all floors

(CGTN) The top anti-graft body of the Communist Party of China (CPC) said a total of 159,100 people were punished in 2017 for violating the Party's code of conduct and involvement in corruption in the country.

They were involved in 122,100 cases, of which 48,700 were related to poverty alleviation work, said the CPC Central Commission for Discipline Inspection (CCDI).

Some 61,000 officials were punished for violating the Party's eight-point frugality code from January to November last year in 43,400 cases.

In order to have a deterrent effect, the CCDI also made public 670 cases of violating the Party's code of conduct and corruption on its website last year, based on reports from local Party disciplinary commissions.

A recent public opinion poll showed that 93.9 percent of those surveyed in 2017 were satisfied with the Party's anti-graft work, up from 75 percent in 2012.

Since early 2017, about 1,300 fugitives have returned to China, including 347 Party members and state functionaries, as well as 14 who are on the list of 100 "red notice" corruption suspects.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-1-8 10:07:34 |Display all floors

Around 980 million yuan (151 million US dollars) of illicit money has been recovered in the process.

China also held more than 50 consultations with foreign law enforcement departments in 2017 on major cases involving fugitives and illicit money, according to the CCDI.

At least 18 centrally-administered officials have been investigated and nearly 40 others have been punished since 2017, it said.

In 2017, Party organizations of 29 centrally-administered universities were inspected, 4 provincial-level regions were re-examined and flexible inspections over four institutions were carried out, it said.

The anti-corruption and strict Party governance drive continued its momentum after the 19th CPC National Congress, showing the CPC Central Committee's firm determination to consolidate the crushing momentum and secure a sweeping victory in the fight against corruption, it said.

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Valuable Member 2018 Most Valuable Member 2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2018-1-8 15:46:35 |Display all floors
I remain utterly unimpressed. Mere numbers fail to convey the dimension and causes of the rot. It seems it is a never-ending battle. Therefore, no matter how many culprits get caught, the system will continue to produce graft, nepotism and dishonest civil servants.

I suggest you turn the table and start discussing what people can do to stop it and how it actually happens. Corrupt practices occur at the lowest official level way up to the highest. It is systemic. Describe what is going on rather than crunch numbers.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-1-8 19:09:12 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2018-1-8 15:46
I remain utterly unimpressed. Mere numbers fail to convey the dimension and causes of the rot. It se ...

I have seen the environment of officialdom culture in China has been greatly improved, and I am happy about that.
Refreshed.

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Valuable Member 2018 Most Valuable Member 2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2018-1-8 21:41:35 |Display all floors
cwdy Post time: 2018-1-8 19:09
I have seen the environment of officialdom culture in China has been greatly improved, and I am ha ...

It is too easy to impress you.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-1-10 02:10:23 |Display all floors
I imagine, as with most political campaigns, there's SOME reality to the anti-corruption. How much, I don't know.
My problem is simple: I just know better than everyone-else!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-1-10 07:38:02 |Display all floors
Ted180 Post time: 2018-1-10 02:10
I imagine, as with most political campaigns, there's SOME reality to the anti-corruption. How much,  ...

The very people who brag of how many corrupt officials they have dealt with one way or another are the shakers and movers of dubious political and economic deals with corruptible foreign governments - Indonesia's high-speed railway project, Malaysia, Burma, Pakistan, Africa...

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.