Author: robert237

Ancient US constitution   [Copy link] 中文

2015 Most Valuable Member Happiest Member

Post time 2018-1-11 08:35:47 |Display all floors
For all the shortcomings the constitution of the USA might have and the failures to practice it in real life, I think the best features of the USA - in its spirit and its true strength comes from what are  known as the Amendments and bill of rights. I like and admire particularly those from 1-9. It is by gradually undermining these that the USA has gotten into the current mess. Seems like many thinking, smart USAnians are getting back to the basics of the Constitution. I think more countries can adopt them. The failures to implement the Constitution does not take away its values - worth keeping and even spreading around the world.
My friend the Black Swan

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-1-11 20:48:48 |Display all floors
cmknight Post time: 2018-1-10 14:54
You start building the wall in St. John, and I'll start in Vancouver. We'll meet in Winnipeg for a ...

I'd like a Kokanee please
Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured. Mark Twain

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Valuable Member Medal

Post time 2018-1-12 19:37:23 |Display all floors
KIyer Post time: 2018-1-10 16:35
For all the shortcomings the constitution of the USA might have and the failures to practice it in r ...

The US constitution was written by oligarchs for oligarchs.
It is the common man who has to fight any wars or battles the rich deem necessary to
protect their personal fortunes.
Do you really think the 2nd amendment is attuned to today's world?
No.
It was put in place so the common man could slaughter the native Americans to make
way for the oligarchs to take over the land from the Native Americans way back in the
18th and 19th centuries.
Their is no other way to make practical sense of this heinous amendment.

If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal 2015 Most Valuable Member Medal of honor June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Valuable Member

Post time 2018-1-12 20:20:39 |Display all floors
Happy New Year Robert.  I concur on the gist of your post.  
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Valuable Member Medal

Post time 2018-1-12 20:28:27 |Display all floors
Ratfink Post time: 2018-1-12 04:20
Happy New Year Robert.  I concur on the gist of your post.

Happy New Years to you too.
I'm glad we can agree on this.
If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-1-12 21:23:55 |Display all floors
The Second Amendment provides U.S. citizens the right to bear arms. Ratified in December 1791, the amendment says: A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

The Second Amendment was created so that the states could form militias or armies to destroy insurrections or slave rebellions because the federal government had no standing military for a long time. The Founding Fathers were frightened by a standing army, because they feared coups.
Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured. Mark Twain

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Valuable Member Happiest Member

Post time 2018-1-13 10:01:15 |Display all floors
robert237 Post time: 2018-1-12 21:37
The US constitution was written by oligarchs for oligarchs.
It is the common man who has to fight  ...

it does not matter who wrote it or what the motive was, if WHAT is written makes sense and can be used to create a better society. If a thief wrote 'Thou shall not steal', I would agree with the statement, while not agreeing with the actions of the writer.. We don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

So, I think the constitution of the USA that is about true equality and freedom for all is worth implementing..
My friend the Black Swan

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.