Author: SEARU

What's wrong with my English? [Copy link] 中文

Glod Medal 2015 Most Valuable Member Medal of honor June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Valuable Member

Post time 2017-12-7 05:30:41 |Display all floors
pnp Post time: 2017-12-6 14:50
Interesting, I am not trained in science, what do they mean, NPN, PNP?

NPN - Negative, Positive, Negative

PNP - Positive, Negative, Positive.

The letters refer to the electrical properties of each layer in a Bipolar transistor.  Negative doped, Positive doped.  
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal 2015 Most Valuable Member Medal of honor June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Valuable Member

Post time 2017-12-7 05:34:11 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Ratfink at 2017-12-7 05:35

Searu, firstly your English usage is commendable though sometimes you have issues with verbs, adjectives and word order.  With that said you do try hard and most of the time your writing is above average for a NESB person. There are noticable improvements from your early days on the forum.
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2017-12-7 09:23:07 |Display all floors
SEARU Post time: 2017-12-3 08:24
I do admit that writing here has been  great challenge for me in the past four years, during which ...

Here is a little observation:

You don't seem to THINK in ENGLISH when you are writing. This is probably your biggest challenge. I have noticed uncounted times in interactions with Chinese English learners that they continuously translate and translate and translate.  If you have to translate every post here from Chinese to English then I would say your English teachers failed you.

I once passed by a spot where a young woman was practising speaking English aloud. At that time crazy Li Yang's concept of "Crazy English" was quite popular, so this woman was hollering to herself with no audience in attendance. She and I then had a discussion. She told me she was reciting a text to pass an oral speech test.

Then she showed me the text, and it was written in pure Chinglish: verbs seldom agreed with the subjects, the past tense was used in a haphazard manner and the whole text sounded highly stilted. And here is the funniest bit: she had translated the text from an English textbook into CHINESE, then translated it back into her personal English.

But the purpose of studying English really is to enable you to communicate in the target language without returning to Chinese. I don't know many Chinese who can speak or write without translating. That, to my way of thinking, is one of the biggest failures of the Chinese English classes.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-12-7 10:23:12 |Display all floors
This post was edited by SEARU at 2017-12-7 12:50
Ratfink Post time: 2017-12-7 05:34
Searu, firstly your English usage is commendable though sometimes you have issues with verbs, adject ...

Thanks for your constructive  remark that is so warm and full of encouragement to me!
I always believe that real flying could make wings grow stronger and hard labor-work can make Smith‘s muscles so hard! ---------I am determined that I would spend more free time on writing here since it is meaningful for me as a teacher through which I could contribute my force to development of Chinese culture!
The most useful knowledge and skill that we are lack of is that of about human!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-12-7 10:23:32 |Display all floors
Ratfink Post time: 2017-12-7 05:34
Searu, firstly your English usage is commendable though sometimes you have issues with verbs, adject ...

Thanks for your construction remark that is so warm and full of encouragement to me!
I always believe that real flying could make wings grow stronger and hard labor-work can make Smith‘s muscles so hard! ---------I am determined that I would spend more free time on writing here since it is meaningful for me as a teacher through which I could contribute my force to development of Chinese culture!
The most useful knowledge and skill that we are lack of is that of about human!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-12-7 11:26:33 |Display all floors
Ratfink Post time: 2017-12-7 05:30
NPN - Negative, Positive, Negative

PNP - Positive, Negative, Positive.

Wow, so technical, but thanks.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-12-7 13:32:46 |Display all floors
pnp Post time: 2017-12-7 11:26
Wow, so technical, but thanks.

I did forget to mention that this only applies to bipolar transistors.  These are one of the fundamental building blocks of integrated circuits as well as many stand alone transistors such as the BD139 etc.  There are other junction types as well.
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.