Author: ceciliazhang

China ranks 36th at EF's Global Ranking of English Skills [Copy link] 中文

Post time 6 DayEarlier |Display all floors
dostoevskydr Post time: 2017-11-11 15:57
"The EF English Proficiency Index has been criticized for its lack of representative sampling in eac ...

Just like I said above; don't place too much weight on this EF Test, it's very misleading!
A test that is not representative should never be carried out,  lest prospective employers get misled.

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Valuable Member Medal of honor Medal of honor Medal of honor

seneca Post time: 2017-11-12 08:21
No wonder the Chinese make it to rank 36 on their list and are happy to achieve that "much". If th ...

As usual. As usual, my friend.....

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Liononthehunt Post time: 2017-11-12 11:07
I do see with you on this, and that's why so many quack foreign English teachers can survive in Ch ...

Many quack foreign immigrants come from China and work in the U.S.A., Australia, Germany or Congo. In recent years the international community has learnt how to weed them out via language tests. Then these quacks learnt how to cheat in exams or buy the services of proxy test takers. Again we have wised up on them. How many quack Chinese immigrants have made it to Silicon Valley? Nobody knows because they may have become kitchen workers in a Chinatown...

Use magic tools Report

Jarek Post time: 2017-11-11 20:37
Absolutely right. The Dutch scored themselves high in this test. I still need to meet the first Du ...

I have to disabuse you: English First is a SWEDISH company, not Dutch. You did them injustice in your post. Even so the Dutch and the Swedes truly are among the world's best English-as-a-second-language speakers.

Use magic tools Report

tonysong2000 Post time: 2017-11-12 08:18
taking more time to learn a none-native language is necessary to work in an international company o ...

Do you know how long YOU have been learning YOUR FIRST language?

Much longer than your second. Do you master it perfectly? Not everyone does...

Use magic tools Report

seneca Post time: 2017-11-12 14:03
Many quack foreign immigrants come from China and work in the U.S.A., Australia, Germany or Cong ...

The topic of quack English teachers apparently touches you on the sore ... Going off at a tangent wouldn't help you as much.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 5 DayEarlier |Display all floors
Liononthehunt Post time: 2017-11-12 11:07
I do see with you on this, and that's why so many quack foreign English teachers can survive in Ch ...

I disagree with you. It's not the "quack foreign English teachers". It's the system that puts stress on learning reading and writing (grammar) before listening and speaking (comprehension and meaning). This is actually the reverse of how you learned your native tongue (Chinese).

Everyone learns their own language in the following order, listening, speaking, reading, writing. Each one is more difficult to learn, than the previous one. Listening is the easiest because it is already built in to our bodies. It is "hard-wired" into our brains. Speaking is harder to learn than listening because now you have to use muscles and tissues to replicate the sounds you are hearing, and to form new sounds. Reading is next in difficulty because now your brain has to interpret symbols (letters/characters) into sounds that you can speak and listen to. Last is writing, because here is where all of the "rules" (grammar) come into play. Parts of speech, order, syntax, etc.

One thing that makes English so difficult for Chinese learners is the fact that it's an idiomatic language. Almost everything we say is in an idiomatic form. Most words have multiple meanings. Take the word "bear" as an example. A good dictionary will have up to four pages of meanings just for that word alone. Chinese users generally tend to learn only one definition, that of a large four-legged, fur-covered animal. When listening and speaking are learned first, these idioms become easier to understand and translate ... even if you are hearing them for the first time. By learning reading and writing first, these idiomatic expressions become extremely difficult, if not downright impossible, to translate into one's own language.

Another difficult aspect is the insistence by Chinese English teachers that you learn more vocabulary. Although that is not necessarily a bad thing, you must remember that the average native speaker of English only has a useful vocabulary of about 3500 words. I say a "useful" vocabulary, because many of these words are repeated constantly in everyday conversation. The most commonly used word in the English language is "the". Like I said, more vocabulary is not necessarily a bad thing, however, you must be mindful of what you learn. Words like "natatorium", which is commonly seen throughout China, is a word that was taken out of common usage in the late 1700's. A natatorium is a swimming pool. Another word, which is now regarded as "ancient", but is still commonly used in China, is "Stomatological". Do not use this word!! Even native speakers do not use this word ... unless they are dentists. That's right ... dentists. A Stomatological Hospital is simply a Dental Clinic. How do you tell if the word you are using is common? Ask. If you use it in conversation and the native speaker looks at you like your head just exploded, it's probably not a common word, so ask, first.

Like I said, Liononthehunt, it's not the quack English teachers, it's the quack system of learning.
It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damned near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person.
Stupid people are like Glowsticks. You want to snap them in half and shake the crap out of them until they see the light.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.