Views: 15346|Replies: 7

Trump's Upcoming Visit to China [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-11-6 10:09:48 |Display all floors
This post was edited by ariqj at 2017-11-6 10:12

The following scintillating read is written by Buzzfeed News Reporter, Megha Rajagopalan, on her article "If Trump Thought Fleeing To Asia Could Stop The Russia Questions, He’s Wrong."

“If there is any development on the Mueller investigation, I’m sure that will be a major focus, not just for American journalists, but in Japan and elsewhere,” said Malcolm Cook, a senior fellow at the Institute of Southeast Asian Studies in Singapore. “If the Trump administration wants to use this trip to get away from the focus on the Mueller investigation, it will be hard to escape it.”

Trump is set to visit Japan, South Korea, China, and the Philippines starting on Nov. 5 for bilateral meetings, and will join many other heads of state at a major regional forum in Vietnam. In a region where many policymakers were sometimes frustrated with the Obama administration because of its inability to push key legislation through Congress, the Trump administration began with hopes that the new president’s Art of the Deal–style tactics would push through partisan gridlock.

But almost a year into his presidency, those hopes have been thwarted.

“It certainly doesn’t help that Trump is unpopular and is facing these kinds of investigations at home,” said Richard Heydarian, author of the forthcoming book The Rise of Duterte about Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte. “There are concerns about his domestic political sustainability and his ability to get major pieces of legislation through Congress.”

Trump has also faced criticism for his decision to back out of the East Asia Summit, a regional diplomatic forum being held in Manila this year.

“He couldn’t even bother to stay a few hours later to show up,” Heydarian said. “Sometimes in Asia, 50% of diplomacy is just showing up to meetings, and Trump isn’t going to bother to do that.”

The US role in the region is being closely watched in particular because of China’s military and economic rise. Obama’s “Asia pivot” strategy had sought to quell fears that the US was not engaged enough in the region and would leave a void that could be filled by Chinese influence.

“There’s a deeper and more important concern among many in the region about the problems of where America as a country is going and what Trump indicates about that, and how that might feed into bigger questions about America’s role in the region in the future,” Huxley said. When compared with China’s rise, Huxley added that in his view, “Trump’s election has fed into a narrative of America’s relative decline in power.”
What do you think will occur on Trump's visit to China? Will he deliver another ridiculous speech the likes of "Rocket Man"?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-6 22:51:07 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Ted180 at 2017-11-6 09:52

I'm very pro-American; but I think the US should DECREASE its influence in Asia. We must give room for China, India and Japan to exert their influences. The US is over-extending itself at great expense. This is one of the few issues on which Trump is right. The ordinary American people resent paying taxes to maintain such power. The "Asian pivot" was silly.
My problem is simple: I just know better than everyone-else!

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Valuable Member Medal

Post time 2017-11-6 23:39:04 |Display all floors
Ted180 Post time: 2017-11-6 06:51
I'm very pro-American; but I think the US should DECREASE its influence in Asia. We must give room f ...

I agree. WWII is long gone and the US has no business occupying South Korea and Japan with
expensive and provocative military bases there. America has more than enough problems at home
it needs to solve.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-7 02:47:14 |Display all floors
robert237 Post time: 2017-11-6 10:39
I agree. WWII is long gone and the US has no business occupying South Korea and Japan with
expensi ...

Glad we can agree on something. But be warned that I'm still a capitalist lover of the USA (but not the Republicans or Trump). It just seems that the US should learn to accept China's primacy in Korea and possession of Taiwan. If they were allies, China and USA could almost guarantee a peaceful world. I doubt Trump has the character or intelligence to repair relations with China.
My problem is simple: I just know better than everyone-else!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-7 10:18:33 |Display all floors
The US animosity towards China is mostly roared about by the media and the defense agencies, and I don't think Trump administration itself isn't particularly hostile towards China, as he appears much less ideologically driven when it comes to policy making. However, he has more than once exhibited his intention to play hard ball with China on trade, so the Sino-US relationship is still navigating uncharted waters.
Believe it or not, it's true.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-7 11:26:48 |Display all floors
The "Asian pivot" was silly.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-7 12:15:15 |Display all floors
I’d expect him to put his foot in his mouth again like he did so many times already.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.