Views: 2804|Replies: 151

Corporations, Capitalism and Policy [Copy link] 中文

Medal of honor July's Best Writer 2012 June's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2017-10-16 14:48:47 |Display all floors
This post was edited by UYA at 2017-10-16 14:54

Most people don't know that corporations are considered "individual entities" with the same protections as normal citizens.
These "people" (corporate industries) weld much power and lobby in congress or in any political system.
They use such power to dictate policy and law, to protect their interests and to support elected government officials who adhere to their agenda. Such lobby is substantial and because of this, makes almost ALL  political systems corrupt.

Banking protects and lobby's against  any legislation that criminalize their policies. How many bankers went to jail for the 2008 meltdown that caused 22 trillion dollars to be lost? (answer: 1) This caused normal people (not the rich) to foot the bill for such crimes.
Military industries supports American aggression abroad and forces people to do what they have been told.
Petroleum industries protect gas consumption and keeps clean energy technologies under wraps and are one of the worst polluters in the world
Pharmaceuticals (Pharma) use their power to keep substances like "pot" illegal making millions of people criminals. They are not interested in "cures" and there is a deliberate effort to just treat "symtoms".

The lobbyists for all these industries out number people in government. Most people can not fathom how much money is being used against them.

The "fuel" that powers all this is capitalism. It individualizes the population and prevents people from a unified goal of a more productive means to affect meaningful change. The weight of this burden is on shoulders of the poorest. It is these people who must provide for those richer than themselves. The product of capitalism is POVERTY. Under capitalism poverty is needed in order to keep the population in line.This "man made" problem is unnecessary and only adds to suffering on a global scale.

Back in the day (way back), a King in a castle needed a dozen or so Knights to protect him from a hundred angry citizens.
Because of military technologies, a dozen soldiers armed to the teeth could hold off 1000's of unarmed citizens. This makes it almost impossible for normal people to enact change of leadership or change the political structure in government.

Maybe one day this will change

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-10-17 05:05:33 |Display all floors
Capitalism can be modified to reduce the harm to the common people. Indeed, up to the Reagan era, it included many safeguards. But, since then, rightists have whittled them down. The people will eventually strengthen these social safeguards. With democracy, things do change.
My problem is simple: I just know better than everyone-else!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-10-17 09:05:31 |Display all floors
This post was edited by UYA at 2017-10-17 09:17
Ted180 Post time: 2017-10-17 05:05
Capitalism can be modified to reduce the harm to the common people. Indeed, up to the Reagan era, it ...

In an ideal world, I would agree with you.
But the way things are now?
Impossible

Question:
1) Can democracy deviate from capitalism?
2) Can capitalism eliminate poverty?

My answers:
1) NO. democracy is controlled by capitalism. UNLESS democracy is changed, involving to more and more people. An "ideal" democracy would be where everyone is involved (is that too hard with the internet?). Too much power in a few hands, just lead to bad things. The more people involved with the "informed" process and decision making, the more "clean" the system AND the better society will become.
2) NO. There MUST be poverty in a capitalist world. That is the control the rich have over the poor, so if there is no poor, the rich are powerless. "ower is a hard thing to let go of".

Please chime in on this

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2017-10-17 09:39:02 |Display all floors
UYA Post time: 2017-10-17 09:05
Impossible

I think you haven't learnt anything from past discussions of this old topic. You still make your blanket statements without any corroboration, and you still idealise "the common people" without having made their acquaintance.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-10-17 09:57:30 |Display all floors
This post was edited by UYA at 2017-10-17 10:01
seneca Post time: 2017-10-17 09:39
I think you haven't learnt anything from past discussions of this old topic. You still make your ...

Somehow I knew, I would find you here.

What corroboration do you need?
You disagree with parts of my statement?
No connection with money and power?
I asked 2 simple (yes or no) questions.
Care to answer them?

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2017-10-17 10:18:43 |Display all floors
UYA Post time: 2017-10-17 09:05
Impossible

I do not believe any "ism" is capable of singlehandedly eliminating poverty. It takes people to do that.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-10-17 11:21:58 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2017-10-17 10:18
I do not believe any "ism" is capable of singlehandedly eliminating poverty. It takes people to  ...

So far we agree....

How can people eliminate poverty?
Capitalism?
via democracy?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.