Views: 212|Replies: 8

Sir Richard Branson has invested in the futuristic transportation Hyperloop [Copy link] 中文

2016 Most Valuable Member Glod Medal 2015 Most Valuable Member 2012's Best Moderator Medal of honor August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012 Gold Medal

Post time 5 DayEarlier |Display all floors
This post was edited by 1584austin at 2017-10-13 15:40

Screen Shot 2017-10-13 at 08.31.49.png

Sir Richard Branson has invested in the futuristic transportation technology Hyperloop, promising to build the "world's most revolutionary train service".

Sir Richard joined an $85m (£65m) investment in Hyperloop One, a California-based company that is the first to successfully test the high-speed magnetic levitation technology. As part of the deal the company will be renamed Virgin Hyperloop One and enter Sir Richard's Virgin Group umbrella.

Hyperloop, the brainchild of Tesla chief executive Elon Musk, involves pods being propelled through a near-vacuum at speeds of up to 700mph. Musk has proposed the system as a new form of high-speed travel that could cut the time between cities from hours to minutes.

Sir Richard joined Hyperloop One's funding round last month, which valued the company at more than $700m, according to Recode .

Virgin Hyperloop One will join Sir Richard's sprawling business empire, which includes high-speed rail investments in Virgin Rail and his space flight venture Virgin Galactic.

Screen Shot 2017-10-13 at 08.32.26.png

During its most recent phase of testing, Hyperloop One reached 192mph over a route of just under 450 metres. It has proposed routes across the US and a route that will carry passengers from London to Edinburgh in 50 minutes.

"Earlier this summer I was fortunate to visit the site and see first-hand the exciting technology being tested," Sir Richard said. "I was very impressed and now look forward to helping turn this cutting edge engineering into a global passenger service."

A Hyperloop One test podCredit: Hyperloop One

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

The Hyperloop is not exactly what we need.

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member Glod Medal 2015 Most Valuable Member 2012's Best Moderator Medal of honor August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012 Gold Medal

seneca Post time: 2017-10-13 16:16
The Hyperloop is not exactly what we need.

It sounds better than what we have now.

Especially if I can get to Edinburgh to see my rich relations quicker from London

Use magic tools Report

1584austin Post time: 2017-10-13 16:28
It sounds better than what we have now.

Especially if I can get to Edinburgh to see my rich relat ...

If you need to save money you can hitchhike to Edinburgh.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 4 DayEarlier |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2017-10-13 20:02
If you need to save money you can hitchhike to Edinburgh.

haha those were the days, I haven't seen a hitch hiker for years. But i did it all the time when I was a little quid

Use magic tools Report

1584austin Post time: 2017-10-14 00:26
haha those were the days, I haven't seen a hitch hiker for years. But i did it all the time when I ...

No more hitch-hikers on Britain's roads? How sad. I am feeling nostalgic...

Use magic tools Report

seneca Post time: 2017-10-14 10:10
No more hitch-hikers on Britain's roads? How sad. I am feeling nostalgic...

It's too risky especially for females.

In the late 60's my now Wife then gf would hitch a lift any time as I did when we wanted to get somewhere before we both drove.

It was 'safer' then as you know.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.