Author: SEARU

How would Chinese win more Nobel prizes? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 5 DayEarlier |Display all floors
tedbrent Post time: 2017-10-12 11:38
You are freaking me out. Don't you know that they also have guns? What if they gun us down ? I do ...

I usually use three devices interneting on the CD those include one desktop computer and  two cellphones. But now only this cellphone is allowed to communite with the forum, it is so inconvenient for me! What is the reason behind the phenomenon?
The most useful knowledge and skill that we are lack of is that of about human!

Use magic tools Report

To the editors: It is really surprise and enjoyment that I have succeeded on logining again after more than 24 hours of failures during which period I had acted as that bird who always tried to fly through the glass-window while  the head being knocked by the transparent glass that I took as air for many times! What a pity!
The most useful knowledge and skill that we are lack of is that of about human!

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

tedbrent Post time: 2017-10-12 11:16
Ishiguro was born in Japan and moved to the U.K. later on, so he is able to write like a British ...

I still think Mo Yan to be a great author. The fact that Mr Goldblatt chose to translate his works confirms this for me.

But you are right in saying that the level of Chinese literary fiction has gone down for decades and the Internet is helping to promote a most shallow kind of entertainment that passes for "novels". Have you ever read stories of the Tianzhai kind? Some of the Internet literature seems to be modelled along those ancient stories (which contain a lot of morbid occult elements but are interesting inasmuch as they bring the Chinese way of thinking a little closer to us).

"Most Chinese readers, by and large, hold the same view, thinking that novels written by Hanya  Yanagihara, Anthony Doerr, Donna Tartt, Martin Amis and Doris Lessing are inferior to Chinese internet novels, arghhh,  which feature slimy business people,  feral youngsters,  snobbish colleagues, randy civil servants,  and with-it lasses looking for men who are quids in. Most Chinese readers are said to be fans of such Chinese novels that have nothing to do with literature"

The Chinese do not seem to be into reading fiction. On average, they read ten percent of hat an average French person reads a year.

One of my jobs was teaching English literature to university students. Man, that was a learning experience for me! Did you know that no one at university reads any English novels in the target language from Page One through the last page? They all want translated versions. And who learns about Shakespeare? What they learn about him is "he wrote most famously in his sonnets" but said sonnets cannot be understand in English. the students I was teaching were going to be future English teachers...

Use magic tools Report

tedbrent Post time: 2017-10-12 11:21
Same here. I thought I had been blocked. I don't recall having written anything that's near the  ...

Just three, four posters were not blocked: Austin the English Ogre; HailChina; CeciliaZhang... These posters had the possibility to make new posts, and they did. I am sure they blocked the vast rest of us for the last two days...

Use magic tools Report

SEARU Post time: 2017-10-12 16:24
I usually use three devices interneting on the CD those include one desktop computer an ...

I wish I knew the answer. I'd say the server of this forum seems to be problematic, dude. But I'm not a techie, so I don't know how to account for this kind of technical glitch. Hope everything is gonna work out here.

Use magic tools Report

seneca Post time: 2017-10-12 17:00
I still think Mo Yan to be a great author. The fact that Mr Goldblatt chose to translate his wor ...

That's worrisome if you ask me. I even found some Chinese students fleering at people who still love to read well-written Western novels, calling it anachronism. And to my dismay, such Chinese students even make a case that xiuxian or 修仙小说- I don't know how to translate this genre into English- is the best one one could find in China.

Having read one of such novels, I'd say this kind of 修仙小说 is decidedly naff, considering that such novels  all have the same storyline devoid of  character-building and thoughtfulness. You could even call it a throwback to yellow journalism.

Use magic tools Report

tedbrent Post time: 2017-10-12 18:46
That's worrisome if you ask me. I even found some Chinese students fleering at people who still  ...

The Chinese authorities have instructed the schools and universities to teach literature and the arts with a view of sharing with the learners works that depict the world and society to meet the criteria of "realism", by which they think Karl Marx set the foundations.

I remember teaching 19th century English literature represented by luminaries such as Gaskell, Dickens et al. The students were bored, I was frustrated with their lackadaisical awareness and knowledge of history and poor comprehension.

Personally I do believe students all over the world are introduced to literature the wrong way: they have to start with classics and when they are about to graduate they reach the contemporary writers or not at all.

They should really start with writers from the past 30 to 50 years, and gradually bore deeper into the historic layers. If a Chinese has read Bill Bryson,and Kazuo Ishiguro  he is more likely to understand Emily Bronte at a later stage.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.